PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is my list of stuff to add to my 2 seater X:

Bandit Tender springs
Lower Doors - Anyone tried McNasty Customz on this? Looking on their viedo they look pretty good.
Bumper - Thinking HMF as it has a good winch mount
Side bars, thinking HMF to start. The tube wall is .095 thick. I'd consider SATV, but I don't know how thick their side bars are.
Winch - Probably a KFI mount and winch
Windshield - SATV split windshield
Rear gate for bed - The HMF attached to the roll cage verses just the screws in the body.
RokBlokz Fender flares
2" hitch receiver
Suspension radius rod brace w/boot guard.

Anyone with experience on these items, please post. And a shout out to Terry for his build list and YouTube videos!

Thanks!

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4

Thanks!

all I know about radius rod braces is that the braces for the “Talon R” do not fit the “Talon X”

I bought the “shear stoppers” and had to cut and modify them to fit.

(totally my fault since they only promise to fit the R)

C0D8B537 EE97 4561 937A F693564698D6

I don’t know about the KFI winch and mount but i do know the moto alliance/ viper winch and mount works seamlessly with the talon.
My group of atv buddies (12-15 guys) all use viper winches with some of them 12 years old and going strong.

(Also support the site)

Reactions: TripleB
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R

Bandit Tender springs
Lower Doors - Anyone tried McNasty Customz on this? Looking on their viedo they look pretty good.
Side bars, thinking HMF to start. The tube wall is .095 thick. I'd consider SATV, but I don't know how thick their side bars are.
Rear gate for bed - The HMF attached to the roll cage verses just the screws in the body.
RokBlokz Fender flares
2" hitch receiver

Anyone with experience on these items, please post. And a shout out to Terry for his build list and YouTube videos!

Thanks!

So you went to Honda from Polaris. I remember you from RZR forum.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So you went to Honda from Polaris. I remember you from RZR forum.
Yea, I had a 900S until I barrel rolled it over in TN which bent the frame and totaled it. My long term plan was to get a Talon, this just made it happen a lot quicker. I had Honda ATV's for years, and went to a RZR because I'm not getting any younger, and they were the only real "go to" for a sport sxs.

Reactions: popeye
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Bandit Tender springs
RokBlokz Fender flares
2" hitch receiver

Thanks!
I have the KFI winch mount, it works perfect on the stock bumper. Just be aware that the winch is flipped left to right and mounts upside down.

Also be mindful that if you plan on a rear bumper, you cannot always mix and match rear bumpers and hitches. For instance, none of the hitches will work with the Honda rear bumper and I don't think any of them will work with the HMF bumper either. As of a month ago, there was only one hitch/bumper combination that would work. This bumper Honda Talon 1000 Rear Bumper and this hitch Honda Talon 1000 Rear Receiver Hitch will work together

I also think there is a bumper with an integrated hitch but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
all I know about radius rod braces is that the braces for the “Talon R” do not fit the “Talon X”

I bought the “shear stoppers” and had to cut and modify them to fit.

(totally my fault since they only promise to fit the R)

View attachment 170854

I don’t know about the KFI winch and mount but i do know the moto alliance/ viper winch and mount works seamlessly with the talon.
My group of atv buddies (12-15 guys) all use viper winches with some of them 12 years old and going strong.

(Also support the site)
Good info on the viper winches. McNasty Customz makes a radius rod braces to fit the X.

Last edited:
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a viper 4500 on my pioneer for 3 years and it worked like a Swiss watch every time.

aeefd30abebd8e6210bc3052aa176293.jpg

Horrible pic, but these radius rods for my X are from L&W fab. Very impressed with their quality.

H

HondaTech

Look before buying a rear bumper and hitch. We found out the Dragonfire hitch will not fit with the Honda accessory rear bumper.

The CATech rear pull plate will also not fit.
Edit: I didn't read the entire thread, somebody already made my point.

Reactions: TerryH
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ll second , or is that third, the SATV combo or the rear bumper and hitch. I really wanted the HMF rear to go with my HMF front but went with the SATV as I already have their hitch. I personally hate the black textured black powder coat that SATV seems to have on all their bumpers but I’m powder coating the rear bumper with the new cage anyway.

Reactions: CID and Rambo
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not a fan of rear bumpers. I had one on my Rincon and when a guy barely hit me it did more damage to the inside than it would have ever done to the plastic. I figure if someone hits me, they get to pay to fix it.

I put the SATV 1/2 skid plate package on the bottom. Went on pretty easily. You do have to tap some new holes and they recommend tipping the machine over. But the Talon sits up so high it wasn't super hard to tap the holes. I use clamps, or the nuts and bolts that go into existing holes to hold the plate in place. Then I take the power driver with the self tapping bolt in it and put it on a floor jack. Line it up where it needs to go and then slowly push the jack up, I use my leg or foot, since I'm usually working by myself.
I also put on a SATV flip out windshield, fairly easy to install. I now have the Bandit tender springs on, and McNasty lower doors, hitch plate, and suspension brace. Lastly I put in the inner mud guard on the fire wall, and the two rear inner mud guards. I have the Honda A-arm guards, and trailing arm guards coming in this week along with the Rockblox fender flares. Once those are on, I'll take it for its first ride. I also have the HMF front bumper on order, but it's on back order due to them being shut down. I can't say enough how nice it is to add accessories to a machine that is off the showroom floor and never seen mud!

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I can't say enough how nice it is to add accessories to a machine that is off the showroom floor and never seen mud!

Basically doing the same thing - trying to get most stuff on before it sees mud. Sure does make it easier! Hard not to take it however!

Reactions: PhilCod
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Added Honda front A-arm guards along with Honda trailing arm guards on New Year's day. I got my bumper in and the Rockblox fender flares. I'm going to put the fender flares on after work today. For the bumper I'm waiting on a 8" light bar before I install it. Then it's winch time and side bars. Then, I'm out of money!

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I put the HMF bumper on. Goes on easily, and it's nice to have the winch plate in the bumper, along with holes to add LED lights. I wasn't able to fit a light bar in there as the stock plastic comes in too far. But I got 2 4" LED square pods in there. I put a KFI 5,000 Lbs. winch on. On the HMF the winch does mount on the bottom and hangs from the plate verses the top. I used the XTC wiring kit to add a busbar and power the accessories. Most know this, but Honda ran wires up to under the dash for a winch or just to add power. The positive is NOT connected to the battery. So you have to take the battery out and pull the wire out. They were wrapped in blue tape, so their easy to spot. The black wire is not in the battery box, so it's either grounded somewhere else or ran into another harness. I also bought the switch adapter off this site. It plugs in next to the headlight switch, you have to remove the stock "blank". The adapter allows you to put a standard rocker switch in. Honestly most of this has been covered by Jason and TerryH on this site, and they have been a big help in putting mine together.
Over the weekend I took my rocker panels off so I can add the side bars I'm getting from A.E.D Off Road Fab. I did add a 27 gal storage tote on the back. I'll put some pictures up on that. I'm looking to build a tailgate extension so I can put a cooler in behind it. I'm not carrying some huge Yeti cooler, so I don't need something heavy duty. I did contact Axiom side by side to see if they could make one of theirs just a tad longer. Hoping to talk to him again this week. I'll take a few pictures of the box I added and post it. Almost all the other stuff I have added has been done and put on this site.

Reactions: jasond
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First all, how can you have a build with no pictures? Lets see this thing

When you say you had to tap the frame for the SATV skid plate, did you actually have to drill and tap it, or did you use self tapping screws (what most companies do)

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Dragon,
Yea, I'm long overdue for some pictures. For the skid plate SATV includes self tapping bolts. Two pictures attached. One of the front HMF bumper with the LED lights, and the winch is underneath. The second you can see the Rockblox fender flare and SATV windshield. I had the plastic off behind the hood as I was hooking up the wiring to the XTC Harness, winch and LED lights. The AED Offroad side bars are on there way, just got the FedEx tracking number today.

IMG 0415 IMG 0403

Reactions: CMB and Dragon21
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is the custom box. It's a 27 gal tote with handles. I added a weather seal inside the lid, and the two gear ties are to hold the back part of it on so it opens like a door. If you leave the box open, which I've done on my last machine, the gear ties keep the lid on. I took the 4 stock bolts out of the bed and bought 4 longer ones and drilled holes in the box and then put the bolts through with fender washers. I also took out the bolts that hold the two rear hooks in and did the same trick. You have to bend the fender washers as those two bolts are in an angle. Under the box I cut some piece of wood the same thickness as the indent in the bed so the box sits flush with the top part of the plastic. The cooler, well as jacked up as it looks, it's held in place with some rubber straps. Axiom SXS is making a bed enclosure that is 4" longer then the bed and that will hold my cooler. I use to sell that company steel, so I know them pretty well. Once I get that, I'll put it on and post a picture.

IMG 0408 IMG 0460 IMG 0459

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Last two pictures. One is the suspension brace over the rear A-arm. It also has an extension to protect the boot. The are McNasty Customz brand. The rear hitch receiver is also pictured and it's also from McNasty. Once again, a shout out to Jasond and TerryS for their input and help.

IMG 0462 IMG 0461

Reactions: jasond and Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The double shear bracket is on my list. Those are the best design IMO

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
The double shear bracket is on my list. Those are the best design IMO

I recently purchased the Bosman Designs double shear brackets for my R, thinking those would be the strongest design, but I didn't take into consideration the spacers used with the L&W radius arms means the Bosman brackets wont work. The Bosman brackets attach from the caliper mount to the radius arm, the McNasty bracket only goes between the radius arms. Trying to better educate myself on which bracket to choose, wouldn't a bracket that ties into the brake caliper mount be stronger than one that ties the 2 radius arms together?

Reactions: CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I recently purchased the Bosman Designs double shear brackets for my R, thinking those would be the strongest design, but I didn't take into consideration the spacers used with the L&W radius arms means the Bosman brackets wont work. The Bosman brackets attach from the caliper mount to the radius arm, the McNasty bracket only goes between the radius arms. Trying to better educate myself on which bracket to choose, wouldn't a bracket that ties into the brake caliper mount be stronger than one that ties the 2 radius arms together?
I hear what your saying about it mounting to the caliper. The only thing I would worry about mounting it to the caliper is if it is a cast aluminum part then it's not nearly as strong as the bracket or arms. So that would concern me. Having an extra brace between the upper and lower arm can't hurt IMO, and for the price I couldn't see not buying them.
One note, and most probably know this, the X and the R are take different suspension braces as they are different sizes in the rear.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!