BOX1

Picked up new Talon X today- stiff ride.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Took it out for a ride and couldn’t believe how stiff the rear suspension is. I thought it would have a much better ride than my p1000-5 but it seems worse. I set the shocks on the softest settings but still harsh. Is there any adjustments a guy can make other than buying new shocks? 22486ea8bf23bbda61196b591bc06638

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Took it out for a ride and couldn’t believe how stiff the rear suspension is. I thought it would have a much better ride than my p1000-5 but it seems worse. I set the shocks on the softest settings but still harsh. Is there any adjustments a guy can make other than buying new shocks? View attachment 240312

I went from a P5 to the T1Kx so it was quite an improvement but it didn't take long to decide I wasn't happy with the stock set up. I ended up ordering new springs (tenders & mains) from Bandit Suspension, that helped a lot, well worth the money. Later this winter I plan to send all 4 shocks to Monster Performance in NY, he does all my snowmobile shock work and we've talked about the Talon shocks, he's done several already and claims to have a good set up for the valving to soften them up. There's several other places that members have had their shocks serviced as well..... Weller, GForce, Shock Therapy, etc.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Took it out for a ride and couldn’t believe how stiff the rear suspension is. I thought it would have a much better ride than my p1000-5 but it seems worse. I set the shocks on the softest settings but still harsh. Is there any adjustments a guy can make other than buying new shocks? View attachment 240312

If you aren't Ricky Racer, you can remove the sway bar links and tie the sway bar up to 'something'. It made quite a difference on my Talon R and I haven't raced for decades. 906UP's answer is the best, shock revalving by a competent shop which I'll be doing on my R eventually. Once I had the dirt bike revalved it became obvious that that's the holy grail of Japanese suspensions whether it says Fox on the shock or not.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I found at low speed the Talon to be slightly more harsh then my Pioneer with Fox. Weight in the back seems to help quite a bit, big ass cooler made it so much better which is a good thing. I feel weight helped a lot, I liked it. Only going off a couple I’ve ridden (at this point) Some mention rear tire rack helps as well. Drop tire pressure just a little and like some said sway bar drop helps any rig. Just mentioning these as you’d asked about help without spending a lot.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you aren't Ricky Racer, you can remove the sway bar links and tie the sway bar up to 'something'. It made quite a difference on my Talon R and I haven't raced for decades. 906UP's answer is the best, shock revalving by a competent shop which I'll be doing on my R eventually. Once I had the dirt bike revalved it became obvious that that's the holy grail of Japanese suspensions whether it says Fox on the shock or not.
Rickey Racer, I resemble that remark? Seems all shocks will need to be resprung / revalved. HA!

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Thanks ,I was thinking it could use more weight in the back. I’m working on a box now. Might have to fill it with some heavy stuff. I’ll check tire pressure tomorrow. I've Taken the sway bar off of my pioneer and it helps but I get more body roll. I’m going to keep the sway bar on the Talon for now. Where we ride in Arizona we can get in some hairy spots. Thanks!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

Answer . No . Bandit tenders are about 200 and help a lot . Best ride if you want smooth is Shock Therapy and half the price of replacing your shocks . I have both , Bandits and ST . Kind of feels like riding on snow .

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I found at low speed the Talon to be slightly more harsh then my Pioneer with Fox. Weight in the back seems to help quite a bit, big ass cooler made it so much better which is a good thing. I feel weight helped a lot, I liked it. Only going off a couple I’ve ridden (at this point) Some mention rear tire rack helps as well. Drop tire pressure just a little and like some said sway bar drop helps any rig. Just mentioning these as you’d asked about help without spending a lot.
Shock Therapy agrees with you, rearward weight helps the Talon suspension work better. I may have taken that a bit too far. :p (WTF, two spares?? Set up for solo desert travel before Covid kilt my dreams :confused:)

I SQwZPjk XL

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Thanks ,I was thinking it could use more weight in the back. I’m working on a box now. Might have to fill it with some heavy stuff. I’ll check tire pressure tomorrow. I've Taken the sway bar off of my pioneer and it helps but I get more body roll. I’m going to keep the sway bar on the Talon for now. Where we ride in Arizona we can get in some hairy spots. Thanks!
Removing sway bar on the X is nebulous . It made a BIG difference on my Pioneer . X-not

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
D

denniswestfall

Oct 11, 2018
US
Later this winter I plan to send all 4 shocks to Monster Performance in NY, he does all my snowmobile shock work and we've talked about the Talon shocks, he's done several already and claims to have a good set up for the valving to soften them up. There's several other places that members have had their shocks serviced as well..... Weller, GForce, Shock Therapy, etc.

Ian at Monster performance did the shocks on my x4 a few months ago when I had about 750 miles on my machine. He refreshed them and softened up #3 setting. It made #3 was more useable. My riding varies from going fast on seasonal roads and rocky trails to putting around slow with the family.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Something to remember about tire pressures, keep the front about 2 psi higher than the rear, this will make 4wd much smoother & quieter. There's a difference of 1 tooth on the ring gear between the front & rear diffs.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Bandit Tender springs. Now to decide on a windshield

I love my Super ATV Flip - https://amzn.to/2EXiywi Great windshield for varied climates.

Bandits help and are a great budget improvement. I put them on a 2 seater and then on my 4 seater, significantly improved both. I still think there is a lot of room for improvement and fully plan to get the shocks revalved as well.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the Bandit Tender springs. Now to decide on a windshield

Tenders only get mixed reviews, if you can swing it get the full set. The stock rear main springs look like they should be on an F250.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I went with the Honda glass w/s, its spendy but when I ordered it there wasn't many aftermarket options available

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Super ATV Flip 100% ! Great at any temperature or speed . Picture this , you're buzzin down a dirt road with your windshield open so you can enjoy the wind in your face , here comes a truck towards you throwing up a wall of dust . Anything but the flip you're DUSTED > With the flip , you reach up and shut it easily . Pop it back open when you feel like it . If you NEVER want it open , maybe glass . I have flip down glass/vented on my RZR , flip down poly on my Pioneer and SATV flip on my Talon . SATV flip is BY FAR the best set up . OK that's it for my SATV flip commercial .

P

PT1911

Oct 20, 2020
SE MN
Ownership

1. Talon x4

Where did you buy it from?

Reactions: ProudDadOf5
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!