P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 OEM Full Cab Enclosure Questions

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in real world experiences with the Honda oem full cab enclosure for the pk15. I just got back from a trip and my set up is not as ideal as I had hoped.

For those that have the enclosure, how well does it seal out dust and rain/snow? Is there anything you dislike about it or do you have any kind of buyers remorse?

Also, I have seen only one of these for sale recently. For the cost, I will likely need to go used. But Was not sure if there is a consensus better/cheaper options. The ones I have seen on the big sites seem to either be more complex than I want or way heavy. Any info is much appreciated.

This may have been reviewed but I did not find anything recently when I searched, so feel free to drop a link if you have one.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Wow. Nothing huh. Thats either because no one here runs one, or no one has anything good to say..... lol

Bump for some real world input.

I have a 21 P1K5 SE. I have taken the first step to remove the front OEM split windshield. I wanted to see what the "dust" issue would be with it off, on but split, and with a full hard windshield in its place. So far, the I don't see how the split or venting of the front window makes anything "better". In fact, with the rattles and having to constantly open and close it based on the situation, I've found that I get a better result by just running a wolf snout. Plus trying to defrost, or remove dirt, or snow is a nightmare compared to a full glass counterpart.

I could only assume that adding in a full door would mean that the dust being drawn in would happen at the rear of the vehicle. At that point, would it not be fixed by simply adding positive air flow to the back half of the pioneer? We do this in desert vehicles all the time. And yes, those are going a bit faster in general, not by much, but I think considering the cost of an air damn, it would be worth the test.

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the soft doors. For me the dust and air leaks with the door wanst an issue. It was more the other gaps in the cab. At my right hip and the shifter slots were a big leak. I next found the roof and rear panel not a perfect seal. I pulled it apart and used foam tape to fill the gap then reinstalled. I ride in snow and storms of all sort with no issues. That said i also dont expect to feel like im in a car. Ive gotten some snow/frost and even hail in the cab with it all buttoned up but we were comfortable and all things considered its qn all weather machine. I do want a glass windshield to have a wiper but i like having the ability to open it when its hot out.

20181205 195349

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the soft doors. For me the dust and air leaks with the door wanst an issue. It was more the other gaps in the cab. At my right hip and the shifter slots were a big leak. I next found the roof and rear panel not a perfect seal. I pulled it apart and used foam tape to fill the gap then reinstalled. I ride in snow and storms of all sort with no issues. That said i also dont expect to feel like im in a car. Ive gotten some snow/frost and even hail in the cab with it all buttoned up but we were comfortable and all things considered its qn all weather machine. I do want a glass windshield to have a wiper but i like having the ability to open it when its hot out.

View attachment 303253

Thanks for the reply. What made you choose fabric over a hard cab?

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the reply. What made you choose fabric over a hard cab?
Weight and cost. The hard doors were $2k+ and close to 100lbs. The soft doors were $575 and only weigh maybe 10lbs. Also the upper doors come right off when you dont want them on. Im happy with the choice and will buy them again. I think if i had dont the hard doors i would have broken the windows several time as ive drug holes in the black canvas at tackett creek.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a Pioneer 1000-3 not a five seater but since you're not receiving many responses I'll offer my opinion.

I have the Honda Powersports roof, split windshield, fabric door uppers, and hard rear cab enclosure.. I also have an Inferno cab heater and a Larry's shifter panel cover. Dust is not an issue in WV for my usage but heat in summer and cold air in winter are.

I'm 90% satisfied with my choices. No parts of the cab enclosure seal perfectly but seal good enough. For hot summer weather the split windshield provides plenty of air flow for cooling and I can also open the cab rear window if needed but have not needed to. for winter driving the cab seals well enough for driving around in snow at below freezing temps with the heater on.

It works for me.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a Pioneer 1000-3 not a five seater but since you're not receiving many responses I'll offer my opinion.

I have the Honda Powersports roof, split windshield, fabric door uppers, and hard rear cab enclosure.. I also have an Inferno cab heater and a Larry's shifter panel cover. Dust is not an issue in WV for my usage but heat in summer and cold air in winter are.

I'm 90% satisfied with my choices. No parts of the cab enclosure seal perfectly but seal good enough. For hot summer weather the split windshield provides plenty of air flow for cooling and I can also open the cab rear window if needed but have not needed to. for winter driving the cab seals well enough for driving around in snow at below freezing temps with the heater on.

It works for me.
Ill snap some pics tomorrow of mine. Ive got a 3 seat and there's a few big air leaks and ive plugged then several times with different s*** before i figured it out. At this point riding in ohio winters i dont need a coat and dont have a heater.

Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not a 5 passenger but I have the 1000-3 with the Honda roof, soft upper doors, soft rear panel, split windscreen and the Honda heater. I use mine a lot in the winter with tracks and there are definitely cold drafts but mostly from annoying sources like the shifter gate, bulkhead holes etc. For the most part when fully closed up the dust, rain and cold are kept out although that is definitely speed related. Far more comfortable in the rain and cold than without!

I don't have the door panels on in the summer and it can be dusty as it get drawn in one way or another so its always a balance but I seem to recall that with the windscreen open the back panel needs to be closed to get the air and dust to exit out the sides.

The heater wont keep the cab "hot" but even down to -10F to -22 F I can travel dressed comfortably without all the normal winter gear on. Even without a heater the lack of wind chill is a great benefit.

The soft upper door and rear panel are lighter and less expensive and have held up well - 3 years now.

IMG 0590 IMG 0611 IMG 0610

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have CEC enclosures For my P1 and just recently my talon. There a soft enclosure but seal very well And easy removal. Even if u chop your top he will custom make one to for for you. Ive had both gens of the Honda softs and fitment is less to be desired IMO. First gen was Atrocious and the second gen was better but still needs work.
12A2A07B 568A 4C65 98B7 548842023052
36040289 A63E 4A9B B31C BA6DDE9F9726

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not a 5 passenger but I have the 1000-3 with the Honda roof, soft upper doors, soft rear panel, split windscreen and the Honda heater. I use mine a lot in the winter with tracks and there are definitely cold drafts but mostly from annoying sources like the shifter gate, bulkhead holes etc. For the most part when fully closed up the dust, rain and cold are kept out although that is definitely speed related. Far more comfortable in the rain and cold than without!

I don't have the door panels on in the summer and it can be dusty as it get drawn in one way or another so its always a balance but I seem to recall that with the windscreen open the back panel needs to be closed to get the air and dust to exit out the sides.

The heater wont keep the cab "hot" but even down to -10F to -22 F I can travel dressed comfortably without all the normal winter gear on. Even without a heater the lack of wind chill is a great benefit.

The soft upper door and rear panel are lighter and less expensive and have held up well - 3 years now.

View attachment 303378 View attachment 303379 View attachment 303380

With your soft cab set up, is that oem honda? And do you leave it parked outside or inside? The local shop here said the majority of complaints about it fitting properly or seams breaking was from outdoor exposure for long term.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have CEC enclosures For my P1 and just recently my talon. There a soft enclosure but seal very well And easy removal. Even if u chop your top he will custom make one to for for you. Ive had both gens of the Honda softs and fitment is less to be desired IMO. First gen was Atrocious and the second gen was better but still needs work.
View attachment 303397View attachment 303398

That is a really cool looking enclosure. Nice big windows. Did you have to install rivets in the body to get it to snap at the bottom? Or is that a double sided velcro type?

Are you guys able to tow with these on your rig? Or do you have to remove it every time you trailer the rig?

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand

View attachment 303378 View attachment 303379 View attachment 303380

Also, side note on your tracks. How do you like running those in winter? Do you remove them in summer? Whats the impact they have on gas mileage in real world driving?

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That is a really cool looking enclosure. Nice big windows. Did you have to install rivets in the body to get it to snap at the bottom? Or is that a double sided velcro type?

Are you guys able to tow with these on your rig? Or do you have to remove it every time you trailer the rig?
Yes there are snaps on the body but I can't tell there even there when or if u take it off.
Yes it very towable no prob

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

I recently purchased the CEC enclosure for my 2021 P1K5 based on @Remington's recommendation. Ordered on a MON and they arrived 3 days later. Hopefully I'll get them installed in the next week or so and I can post up my opinion after that.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Does the CEC enclosure front doors open with the OEM doors? or do you have to upzip/fiddle with the upper?
There is no frame, so it doesn't open/close like a single unit.

You have to unzip the window part way, open/close, then zip back.

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is no frame, so it doesn't open/close like a single unit.

You have to unzip the window part way, open/close, then zip back.
That's what I thought I saw somewhere else. Most likely this helps with the "sealing" on the cab.

I'm going with the Honda OEM soft front doors mainly due to the opening/closing being more like a true door.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
That's what I thought I saw somewhere else. Most likely this helps with the "sealing" on the cab.

I'm going with the Honda OEM soft front doors mainly due to the opening/closing being more like a true door.
Are you just going with the soft front doors, or are you also getting something for the rear panels or behind the main cab?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!