P1000 Pioneer 1000 keeps stalling

L

Libbywagner07

Nov 7, 2019
Titusville, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Our 2016 Pioneer 1000 that we use to pump oil leases keeps stalling and not shifting down or if it does shift, it has a delay. Once you stop and put it into gear the motor will just rev up and the machine will not move. If you leave it shut off and cool down for 20 minutes or so it will run fine for a little while. Usually starts malfunctioning after an hour of drive time but most recently it didn’t malfunction until after 4 hours of drive time. The dash blinks 5 long and 7 short and is reading shifter malfunction at the shop. It’s been in the shop twice so far. The first time they installed a shift kit. The second time, the lower transmission oil was changed as there were metal shavings on the speed sensor. Really hate having it malfunction especially with the weather getting crappy. Anyone else have similar issue that was resolved?

H

HondaTech

Code 57 is referring to the TR sensor, which is in the sub transmission. I haven't had any issues with that particular sensor in my experience.

The "Shift Kit" they installed is, I'm assuming, the clutch update Honda offered to help the slipping clutch issue the P1K was prone to when new. Sounds like you might have multiple issues atm.

I would be interested in inspecting the outside clutch for burnt or damaged fibers/disk. If code 57 keep popping up, then that issue needs to be addressed first before going after anything mechanical. I would also check the battery terminal connections and the ground points, they can make a big difference in this unit.

The metal in the sub transmission (lower transmission?) could be from the dogs slipping and popping out due to a stuck clutch that causes the unit to creep in gear with no throttle input.

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
L

Libbywagner07

Nov 7, 2019
Titusville, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks, I’ll mention that to the tech.

Not sure why they never mentioned the clutch kit any other time it was in the shop. They said it’s been available since 2017. The machine has over 5500 miles on it.

Most recent time it messed up was after one hour of riding. Was able to let it cool down and go another 5 miles back to the building before it stalled again. First time I’ve seen “Low” come on below the gear indicator
B3ECB89A D0E9 4DE8 AF11 4450090C0AFD

H

HondaTech

Interestingly enough I have a
2016 P1K in the shop that's doing something super similar, except this unit is smoking heavily as well.

The unit I'm working on will start and run seemingly fine (except for the smoking issue) will shift into 2nd but won't go above that even trying to override with the paddles. I haven't tried to manual shift on the rear of the engine or try the emergency valve in the clutch cover. Just like your machine, it will just shut off and flash code 57. Put in park and turn the key off then on and it'll will take off and go again a few seconds then do the same thing. Seems to shut off sooner if I beat on it and try to get it to shift into 3rd.

I've tested everything the manual says to (except for removing the shift motor/gears) and it all comes out fine. I took the TR sensor out and turned it and the voltage is adjusting accordingly. So I'm positive I have a good TR sensor, I'm leaning more towards something mechanical inside the engine. The TR sensor is used to tell the ECM/meter what gear (1st-6th) the machine is in. I've requested more diag. time for the unit and plan on trying to manual shift into 3rd and see what happens. But this guy has more issue with the smoking issue. It also has a bunch of wire harness attachment points missing and broken as well as bolts missing. It would appear his has had part or all of the engine disassembled, unfortunately he just purchased it at an auction and has no info for me on it's condition other than there being water in the fuel when he first operated it.

I'll keep you informed on my side and let you know what I find, if you guys come up with anything give me a shout.

Edit: Did the "shift kit" get installed after the issue started arising or before?

Last edited:
L

Libbywagner07

Nov 7, 2019
Titusville, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They installed the shift kit after it started messing up. They claimed that the machine was so bad they thought they would have other issues from the shift kit not being installed soon enough but nothing else was changed.

Is the machine your working on always smoking or just certain times? I thought ours was smoking more when you go through puddles but I just assumed it was from the colder weather making it more noticeable.

Good to know you can request more diagnostic testing, I’ll have to mention that to our tech. We have a riders warranty and they were saying how it’s not paying for enough diagnostic time.

H

HondaTech

The unit I've currently got is smoking all the time, its burning oil do to the smell and color of smoke. But I'm not sure why its burning oil yet.

Aftermarket warranties can be difficult to deal with.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The unit I've currently got is smoking all the time, its burning oil do to the smell and color of smoke. But I'm not sure why its burning oil yet.

Aftermarket warranties can be difficult to deal with.
Is there a possibility the intake boot was loose and has been inhaling dust? Had that happen, took out #1 cylinder wall.

Reactions: JTW
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
2016 P1K in the shop that's doing something super similar, except this unit is smoking heavily as well.

The unit I'm working on will start and run seemingly fine (except for the smoking issue) will shift into 2nd but won't go above that even trying to override with the paddles. I haven't tried to manual shift on the rear of the engine or try the emergency valve in the clutch cover. Just like your machine, it will just shut off and flash code 57. Put in park and turn the key off then on and it'll will take off and go again a few seconds then do the same thing. Seems to shut off sooner if I beat on it and try to get it to shift into 3rd.

I've tested everything the manual says to (except for removing the shift motor/gears) and it all comes out fine. I took the TR sensor out and turned it and the voltage is adjusting accordingly. So I'm positive I have a good TR sensor, I'm leaning more towards something mechanical inside the engine. The TR sensor is used to tell the ECM/meter what gear (1st-6th) the machine is in. I've requested more diag. time for the unit and plan on trying to manual shift into 3rd and see what happens. But this guy has more issue with the smoking issue. It also has a bunch of wire harness attachment points missing and broken as well as bolts missing. It would appear his has had part or all of the engine disassembled, unfortunately he just purchased it at an auction and has no info for me on it's condition other than there being water in the fuel when he first operated it.

I'll keep you informed on my side and let you know what I find, if you guys come up with anything give me a shout.

Edit: Did the "shift kit" get installed after the issue started arising or before?
You can direct wire 12v to the shift motor with it off and make sure it spins up good. I did notice honda used a really thick grease in the gear reduction for the shift motor, clay like.

L

Libbywagner07

Nov 7, 2019
Titusville, Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

After a month in the shop we finally got it back and have put over 100 miles on it with no issues. They tested the TR sensor and said it was good. They ended up replacing the shift motor. The brushes were stuck causing it to send a weak signal

06E523B2 7353 4BA2 AC12 AE9B6881160D 2F3B188F C69D 4B34 8B72 798C8EF3102B

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After a month in the shop we finally got it back and have put over 100 miles on it with no issues. They tested the TR sensor and said it was good. They ended up replacing the shift motor. The brushes were stuck causing it to send a weak signal

View attachment 172481 View attachment 172482

View attachment 172481 View attachment 172482
This is interesting. I have the same or similar issue that I can't figure out. Code 57, wont down shift. Changed the TR sensor. I bench tested the shift motor and it works, but I wonder if its just not working good enough?

Reactions: Smitty335
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is interesting. I have the same or similar issue that I can't figure out. Code 57, wont down shift. Changed the TR sensor. I bench tested the shift motor and it works, but I wonder if its just not working good enough?
That dude hasn't been on here in over a year.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaRob

Jul 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I’m new to this site, but this forum helped me out a lot, I work at a Honda dealership and a 1000 came in that was doing the same symptoms as was stated at the beginning of this, I did change the TR sensor and the code 57-1 was still there and bike was still acting up, I called tech line and they said to check all the grounds and oil pressures,all were good, my last check was the shift motor, took it out and put it on the bench spun fine, opened it up and found that brushes were worn out and one of them was stuck, in fact the same brush was stuck as the picture posted on here, threw in a known good one we had at the shop unit shifted fine I drove it for about 30 mins everything was fine, so thanks again for this it helped a lot

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!