BOX1

Pioneer 500 front end noise

S

Snigema

Mar 27, 2015
Recently had front differential case replaced under warranty due to a constant fluid leak. Now it seems like there is noticeable "clanging" noise from the front end. It sounds like something is loose and hitting the frame because I can feel it in the floor board. It doesn't do it all the time but mainly does it on rough terrain. If I grab both front axles at the same time, I can move them front to back slightly? Is this normal? I feel like this movement is what I'm hearing...

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Movement is normal. The noise is not. May want to check the shaft the runs from the diff back. I am wondering if they did not get it seated correctly and it is bumping from time to time

S

Snigema

Mar 27, 2015
Thanks! That may very well be the issue! I'll check it out. Thanks

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Anytime - also make sure the diff mounting bolts are in tight while you are working on it.
Good luck

S

Snigema

Mar 27, 2015
So, after riding this weekend I determined that the noise is only present when in 4 wheel drive! Any ideas? I've checked every piece of linkage and suspension part I can get my hands on and can't find anything loose.

S

Snigema

Mar 27, 2015
Heads up to anyone with a Pioneer 500! I finally figured out the noise coming out of my front end. The bolt that holds the differential case to the frame in the top rear location of the diff, is the wrong size bolt for the hole. I went back to my dealer and we discovered that a pioneer on their showroom floor had the same problem. Apparently, during assembly , Honda over tightens these bolts to mask the problem. If a service tech removes the front diff and then re-installs according to factory specs, the front differential housing will not be held tightly to the frame. The very odd part is that the correct size bolt was a SAE .5" bolt! The .5" bolt fits perfectly in the mounting hole and eliminated all movement that was present with the factory 12mm bolt. I contacted Honda and my dealer and have been sorely disappointed in how they have handled the situation up to this point!

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So replace it with an SAE .5" bolt the same length?

S

Snigema

Mar 27, 2015
William said:
So replace it with an SAE .5" bolt the same length?
Yep, the new bolt fits like a glove!

D

dominator

Sep 18, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Any idea what The length of that half inch bolt should be ?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
great find!

Reactions: Eltobgi
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!