BOX1

P500 Pioneer 500 - The good, the bad, and the ugly

L

Linebacker55

Jan 4, 2020
NL, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I apologize for the length of this review upfront!

Pioneer 500 with Honda roof, Honda rear soft panel, Honda front Hard tip out windshield, rear view mirror, side rear mirrors, Honda soft doors, windshield bag, 27" tires, 2500 pound winch, skid plate, LED front bar, LED rear cubes, spare rim, and plow. About $16 400 Canadian out the door. Looking at the Polaris Ranger 500 and the Honda Pioneer. Ranger was about $2000 more.

Purchased a 2020 Honda Pioneer 500 about 3 weeks ago. Although I'm very satisfied with the machine, here are a few things prospective buyer should be aware of:

1. NO Storage. And I mean NO storage. I purchased the Honda roof bag (went across the rear roll bar) for $100 CAN. It's enough to store the registration, insurance and a few snacks. Funny thing is, there seems to be a cut out for a glove box but I guess Honda was too cheap to put it in. There are also under seat and under hood storage options, but they are extremely expensive.

2. 1.5" receiver. Didn't really notice this until a purchased the bike. No big problem, but I had a 2" bar I was planning to use!

3. No dump box. Again, I was quite aware of this as I plan to build a storage box for the rear. But my buddy and a Ranger with a dump box...does come in handy.

4. Suspension. It is stiff and will bounce you around even when on packed dirt roads and you hit a pothole. Not sure about buying new shocks...might just slow down. BTW - top speed seems to be 63 km/h.

5. Seat belt. I've hit a few bumps and man this thing just about decapitates you. Be aware.

6. Doors. While the doors are fantastic, be aware that when you load it in the back of a truck, you have a 50/50 chance of getting out of the side by side! I had to remove the netting on the drivers side.

7. Reverse. There is no shift lever for reverse...it's a handle you have to pull with your right hand while shifting down on the paddle shifter with your left. Again, no big thing as after a while it become second nature...I just hope its not an issue in the winter time when plowing.

8. Fit and finish of the Honda accessories are a little underwhelming...Front windshield not sealing along the bonnet...when i move it then it don't seal along the top. I purchased the HARD windshield as it was suppose to resist scratches. It does not. A glass windshield like the polaris ranger would be great.

9. Pretty loud "clunking" when shifting in automatic mode.

10. No front lock...but haven't need it yet so probably not going to be an issue.

11. Clearance. Get bigger tires. Otherwise you'll be hearing a lot of scraping.

12. Overall fit and finish. Polaris is a much nicer looking machine...nice dash, lots of storage, LOTS of accessories, place for more switches (knockouts) and their accessories seem to fit the machine.

13. Service reminder came on after 10 hours (100 km's?) I'm going to wait for at least 500 kms before servicing.

14. Original tires were noticeably worn down. Again, I purchased 27" trail tires. Hoping they will make a difference...just waiting for the dealer to get them.

I realize it seems like I crapping on my Honda, but I'm not! I'm quite satisfied with my purchase? Why? Because its a very narrow 50 inches and lets me get into places larger machines wouldn't fit. It's more like a quad with side seating! I like the manual mode..shifting is much quieter and allows me to control when shifting. The lack of storage is annoying, but the rear windshield bag does make a difference. I like that there are no belts. Steering is great! I was a little worried I might have to purchase a power steering unit for my daughter, but she is enjoying it! The "missing luxuries" don't really impact me as the machine does what it does and I'm looking for reliability. I think I have it. I'll update once I've used the plow and doors in the winter time.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can adjust number 7 out of existence. How to is on the forum.

Reactions: 25yrds and JACKAL
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is a front locker available if you want it.

Reactions: JACKAL
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 - there is a rear 2” receiver available. I think it is by Moose.

Reactions: Mudder and JACKAL
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
14 - check your alignment. Seems a lot of unit come out with terrible alignments set.

Reactions: JACKAL
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum from Canton, OH. The P500 definitely has its areas for improvement. There is a lot of great info here on the forum.

Look for the box and the TriggerShield for a couple of nice examples.

#NTC

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did a search on the forum...nothing...have a link?
I've struggled with searches as well even when I know exactly what I'm looking for.

I will do a little looking for you, but the basic deal is find the cable on the back of the "reverse lever" and ultimately the adjustment nuts on it. You can then "adjust" the lever out of its intended purpose (whatever that is). You can adjust the nuts so that the cable is pulled tight when the lever is in the "normal" position. Forum members have specifically tested. You can't shift the P500 to reverse without being at a full stop anyway.

Edit: This is a link to a video from a forum member that shows the process if we can't find the details on the forum...

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got your six, JB. 😉

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Pioneer 500 with Honda roof, Honda rear soft panel, Honda front Hard tip out windshield, rear view mirror, side rear mirrors, Honda soft doors, windshield bag, 27" tires, 2500 pound winch, skid plate, LED front bar, LED rear cubes, spare rim, and plow. About $16 400 Canadian out the door. Looking at the Polaris Ranger 500 and the Honda Pioneer. Ranger was about $2000 more.

Purchased a 2020 Honda Pioneer 500 about 3 weeks ago. Although I'm very satisfied with the machine, here are a few things prospective buyer should be aware of:

1. NO Storage. And I mean NO storage. I purchased the Honda roof bag (went across the rear roll bar) for $100 CAN. It's enough to store the registration, insurance and a few snacks. Funny thing is, there seems to be a cut out for a glove box but I guess Honda was too cheap to put it in. There are also under seat and under hood storage options, but they are extremely expensive.

2. 1.5" receiver. Didn't really notice this until a purchased the bike. No big problem, but I had a 2" bar I was planning to use!

3. No dump box. Again, I was quite aware of this as I plan to build a storage box for the rear. But my buddy and a Ranger with a dump box...does come in handy.

4. Suspension. It is stiff and will bounce you around even when on packed dirt roads and you hit a pothole. Not sure about buying new shocks...might just slow down. BTW - top speed seems to be 63 km/h.

5. Seat belt. I've hit a few bumps and man this thing just about decapitates you. Be aware.

6. Doors. While the doors are fantastic, be aware that when you load it in the back of a truck, you have a 50/50 chance of getting out of the side by side! I had to remove the netting on the drivers side.

7. Reverse. There is no shift lever for reverse...it's a handle you have to pull with your right hand while shifting down on the paddle shifter with your left. Again, no big thing as after a while it become second nature...I just hope its not an issue in the winter time when plowing.

8. Fit and finish of the Honda accessories are a little underwhelming...Front windshield not sealing along the bonnet...when i move it then it don't seal along the top. I purchased the HARD windshield as it was suppose to resist scratches. It does not. A glass windshield like the polaris ranger would be great.

10. No front lock...but haven't need it yet so probably not going to be an issue.

12. Overall fit and finish. Polaris is a much nicer looking machine...nice dash, lots of storage, LOTS of accessories, place for more switches (knockouts) and their accessories seem to fit the machine.

13. Service reminder came on after 10 hours (100 km's?) I'm going to wait for at least 500 kms before servicing.

14. Original tires were noticeably worn down. Again, I purchased 27" trail tires. Hoping they will make a difference...just waiting for the dealer to get them.

I realize it seems like I crapping on my Honda, but I'm not! I'm quite satisfied with my purchase? Why? Because its a very narrow 50 inches and lets me get into places larger machines wouldn't fit. It's more like a quad with side seating! I like the manual mode..shifting is much quieter and allows me to control when shifting. The lack of storage is annoying, but the rear windshield bag does make a difference. I like that there are no belts. Steering is great! I was a little worried I might have to purchase a power steering unit for my daughter, but she is enjoying it! The "missing luxuries" don't really impact me as the machine does what it does and I'm looking for reliability. I think I have it. I'll update once I've used the plow and doors in the winter time.

Sorry for the lengthy response but it sounds like you did no research, lol! All of these have been known issues for years, you just need to set it up.
1. Get a box, expanded metal rear cage and a side rail toolbox...storage solved.
2. Moose 2" receiver.
3. If you really want one of those, they're available. @Todd627 has one for sale now.
4. Honda had to make some sacrifices for a machine this small, bigger, better tires and WE shocks.
5. Get a shoulder pad for the seat belt, makes it more comfortable. Not using the seat belt will break your neck.
6. Truck works in a pinch or when hauling a travel trailer as well but you need a trailer.
7. Reverse lever bypass, everyone does it and I wouldn't plow any other way.
8. No plastic is scratch proof. There are after market glass ones available. As for sealing, the cab will never be fully sealed regardless.
9. The noise gets better with time, oil changes and break in. You also need a Shield to assist with that and the heat issue that you haven't discovered yet.
10. TorqLocker is available.
11. Even with bigger tires you're going to bottom out occasionally, it's a small machine. Get an aftermarket skid, you won't regret it.
12. I can send you some pics of a P5 that'll put a Ranger to shame.
13. 100 mile first service for break in, do it, it'll calm the noise down, then it'll be a while before the next one.
14. Took the stockers off when I got home from the dealer, almost everyone changes the tires out of the gate.
The Ranger is a nice machine but it's not a Honda. The one you chose is bullet proof, no rubber bands to change, gear down a hill without touching the brakes and go where no other sxs can. As for capabilities, I watched a Ranger try to climb a sand hill multiple times without making it, made it to the top the first time with a properly set up P5. You'll have to spend that extra 2 grand and then some but you'll have a much better machine in the end.

F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500

I guess I may be weird,however, I like the rack better than a box cuz I can add a boxed in rack on top or take it off and use the factory rack. Lots of them on this site have built or bought all different kinds of ways to store things on the factory rack. At the same time I've heard lots say the pioneer 500 is ugly, I disagree with that as well, yeah it looks different than the others but uniquely cool in it's own way.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
As a happy 2015 owner I have no regrets. No, they are a ways from perfect, but they are an interesting piece of canvas to paint. For the things that I'm using mine for I've yet to see a better alternative. My only two real beefs are the battery compartment sucks and it should have a spin on oil filter.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
3. If you really want one of those, they're available. @Todd627 has one for sale now.
Here are some pics. $150.

FE5EF89A 60D1 4898 8339 14591D46F711

EB910AA3 EAF9 4DBE 9893 C35B266356CC

14250FE5 83F5 4E26 8CC0 1835D0DC4CB0

1815FA76 C927 403D A881 D77F4D6D4465

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@trigger got it covered well with his post. The Search feature on this forum is a great thing as so many issues have been addressed. As for the bed, love it.

AE942CD8 21C0 4F59 A33F 4F5D213C8565 CFD9C00B 9F6B 419F 957E BD81864E686E

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Sorry for the lengthy response but it sounds like you did no research, lol! All of these have been known issues for years, you just need to set it up.
1. Get a box, expanded metal rear cage and a side rail toolbox...storage solved.
2. Moose 2" receiver.
4. Honda had to make some sacrifices for a machine this small, bigger, better tires and WE shocks.
5. Get a shoulder pad for the seat belt, makes it more comfortable. Not using the seat belt will break your neck.
6. Truck works in a pinch or when hauling a travel trailer as well but you need a trailer.
8. No plastic is scratch proof. There are after market glass ones available. As for sealing, the cab will never be fully sealed regardless.
9. The noise gets better with time, oil changes and break in. You also need a Shield to assist with that and the heat issue that you haven't discovered yet.
11. Even with bigger tires you're going to bottom out occasionally, it's a small machine. Get an aftermarket skid, you won't regret it.
13. 100 mile first service for break in, do it, it'll calm the noise down, then it'll be a while before the next one.
14. Took the stockers off when I got home from the dealer, almost everyone changes the tires out of the gate.
The Ranger is a nice machine but it's not a Honda. The one you chose is bullet proof, no rubber bands to change, gear down a hill without touching the brakes and go where no other sxs can. As for capabilities, I watched a Ranger try to climb a sand hill multiple times without making it, made it to the top the first time with a properly set up P5. You'll have to spend that extra 2 grand and then some but you'll have a much better machine in the end.
Well you certainly set that one straight.....Except for the 2K mods and accessories expense, that’s chump change. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Mudwing
L

Linebacker55

Jan 4, 2020
NL, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
2. Moose 2" receiver.

Yup I agree...Built a box and used an old bbq cover/velcro to keep out the dust. So far so good. Purchased a glove box and installed. It's ok, but my bang for my buck ($8) came from a 15 L tub under the bonnet! Will try the reverse lever bypass soon. Got 27" tires and seems to make a difference. Purchased the Honda skid plate ($500 from dealer). Will consider getting A arms plate later. Waiting in the plow and LED bar/cubes to be installed. So far so good. BTW...you are RIGHT about breaking downhill...left it in 2nd gear and no problem going down!

sarc201

sarc201

Jun 8, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Yup I agree...Built a box and used an old bbq cover/velcro to keep out the dust. So far so good. Purchased a glove box and installed. It's ok, but my bang for my buck ($8) came from a 15 L tub under the bonnet! Will try the reverse lever bypass soon. Got 27" tires and seems to make a difference. Purchased the Honda skid plate ($500 from dealer). Will consider getting A arms plate later. Waiting in the plow and LED bar/cubes to be installed. So far so good. BTW...you are RIGHT about breaking downhill...left it in 2nd gear and no problem going down!
What brand of 15L tub is it, and where did you get it? TIA.

L

Linebacker55

Jan 4, 2020
NL, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Purchased it from canadiantire... couple of self tapping screws in the back... put two 3/4 inch plates on the bottom and screwed into those. Best $8 I ever spent... few pics

118942674 326166538487045 8435336297965990174 n 118920896 326986838734536 4188398750667210397 n 118928038 778853172875462 574734153629631825 n 119126591 1211615942527799 9045362562358688498 n 118989522 2784071268359914 2945543093493811075 n

Reactions: sarc201
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice thing about the P500....it’s a Honda. It’s a sturdy, reliable entry level machine that you can customize the way you want. Price point wise for my needs is worth the admission fee. Never looked at the belt drive competition as I could care less. Over 5000 kms on my ‘15 and have changed a couple torn axle boots then regular oil air maintenance..... that’s it! ‘K ok maybe a few mods but those are for fun. To increase joy, radial tires and aftermarket shocks like Elka (made in Canada) or Walker Evans are the ticket to smoother riding. Yes they are spendy, however if you are keeping it for the long haul and ride a lot... totally worth it.
Cheers,
j

L

Linebacker55

Jan 4, 2020
NL, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
2. Moose 2" receiver.

Lol...I knew all of these "shortcomings" well before I purchased the machine. I just made a list of all the issues I saw before I purchased. May help someone to decide if it's for them...Cheers!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!