BOX1

P700 Pioneer 700 engine noise

C

cwilbourn87

Apr 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all new to the forum and was looking for some info I have a 2016 700-4 7700 miles I've owned it since new about a month ago it started making a pecking noise almost sounded like a heat shield I've been chasing it ever since I've even removed the skid plate to ensure it wasn't touching the motor in any way still have the noise the only other thing that is new is it cranks a long time on the first start of the day no oil burning no smoke smells a little rich but not bad I've changed plugs air filter and did a oil change dealer said it was probably the camshaft but the engine was rebuilt 3000 miles ago due camshaft being bad I've stayed up on the maintenance air filter every other month and oil change every three months it doesn't get abused mostly hauling wood and cruising trails and county roads I am not sure I want to invest another 3500 in a engine overhaul any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
C.W.

Reactions: Farmer
C

cwilbourn87

Apr 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all new to the forum and was looking for some info I have a 2016 700-4 7700 miles I've owned it since new about a month ago it started making a pecking noise almost sounded like a heat shield I've been chasing it ever since I've even removed the skid plate to ensure it wasn't touching the motor in any way still have the noise the only other thing that is new is it cranks a long time on the first start of the day no oil burning no smoke smells a little rich but not bad I've changed plugs air filter and did a oil change dealer said it was probably the camshaft but the engine was rebuilt 3000 miles ago due camshaft being bad I've stayed up on the maintenance air filter every other month and oil change every three months it doesn't get abused mostly hauling wood and cruising trails and county roads I am not sure I want to invest another 3500 in a engine overhaul any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
C.W.
Forgot to mention it comes and goes doesn't do it at high rpm

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
If it's the cam, it won't last much longer but you probably already know that. Once the hard coat is gone they wear down fast. If it's not doing it all the time I'd keep looking for something loose.

Mine has always started slow when cold. I usually do the key on off thing and that helps it fire faster.

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Try to isolate the problem. Do a valve check and go from there. If you suspect the cam then just pull and inspect. If you’re doing the work the cost would be time. 😎

C

cwilbourn87

Apr 20, 2021
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well found I have a sticky cam chain tensioner I can make the noise come and go using a screw driver work it back and forth noise has gone away going to let it cool down and see if it comes back going to order a new one asap

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well found I have a sticky cam chain tensioner I can make the noise come and go using a screw driver work it back and forth noise has gone away going to let it cool down and see if it comes back going to order a new one asap

Awesome find!!! Hope you get it fixed!!!

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good find and thanks for the report back. Let us know how you repair it. 😎

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well found I have a sticky cam chain tensioner I can make the noise come and go using a screw driver work it back and forth noise has gone away going to let it cool down and see if it comes back going to order a new on

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!