Piston change time

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
as a lot of you know i purchased a set of pistons a while back but did not put them in yet. recently i had to change out my 1,3,5 clutch due to a bit of abuse.
well anyway as part of changing out the clutch it recommended pulling the pan and checking for debris in side. i removed the pan today as i was also fixing my broken valve adjuster, and this is what i found [no big surprise here]
One

so i removed the head and pistons to put in the new ones. here are a few more pics
Two

Three

new vs old
Four

it only cracked and broke the front cylinder. the rear one is in perfect shape

was very surprised how easy it is to change them. the pan comes off very easy. only had to remove the skid plate then just remove the bolts and off it came.

looks like you could do a piston swap in 2 hours if you have done it a few times

496blazer

Feb 13, 2021
San Martin,Ca
Ownership

1. Talon R
Who makes the replacement pistons? They do not look like the machining process was finished.

Reactions: Biteme
ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
I guess I am getting old and whiny. I’ve got probably 6 hours into it and am just now going back together, having the pan and head bolted on but haven’t even got the cam back in yet. Gut the interior, pull the turbo off the head and exhaust after removing the intercooler.. I did spent a lot more time then usual getting my upper rings gapped where I wanted them...

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
What qualifies as "a bit of abuse"?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you weigh the two different pistons? The replacement looks much heavier and I wonder about the effects on balance.

Reactions: HBarlow
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
i definitely worry about the weigh but for now it will have to do. they are a bit more but didnt put them on the scale

abuse.... rev limit for long periods of time.

Reactions: CID
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
I guess I am getting old and whiny. I’ve got probably 6 hours into it and am just now going back together, having the pan and head bolted on but haven’t even got the cam back in yet. Gut the interior, pull the turbo off the head and exhaust after removing the intercooler.. I did spent a lot more time then usual getting my upper rings gapped where I wanted them...
what pistons did you go with?

H

HondaJake

Apr 26, 2019
Florence Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon R
What was your final ring gap?

Reactions: ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If the OP reassembled his engine with mismatched pistons made by different manufacturers, possibly different compression ratios, and very likely with one piston heavier than the other I think we know why he left the forum.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!