P500 Plow Strap / Rope for snow plowing

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone use Plow Straps or Plow Cables for plowing snow?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I just use the steel cable on the winch, we ride all winter long so taking the steel cable off the winch to put a plow strap on is not an option in case I need the winch while riding. Ive tried a variety of things and always end up using the steel cable in the end.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
What are they?

There used for plowing, saves on the winch rope. They come in cable and straps, some will use a 10 foot 2 inch wide boat winch strap for snow plowing in the winter.

You remove the winch rope you already have and put it on...the Straps on Amazon have what I consider low ratings, the Rope ones runs pretty much the same.

A good one like this one....can cost a little more....that's why I'm asking.

The guy across from me uses Carbon steel cable thats all ratted out, the other across from me uses a braided stainless steal cable and hasn't started plowing yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XQHW56G/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I had considered the flat boat type strap, however you have to swap out the stock line.... soooo glad I didn’t, go that route. Really stuck one time a couple winters ago, remote property was checking logging works on my private land. Happened to be ploughing snow at family farm too. Long story short stuck in mud hole (not frozen) with knee deep snow on it. Had to unhook plough, used synthetic winch line, snatch blocks, spare synthetic winch line and rope to get out. Had to winch machine in a 180 degrees to get out, couple hours later and snowing 2” per hour.... fun times, by myself. So learning from that I buy quality synthetic winch line and (leave on year round) as it gets thrashed on the end I shorten it. Go online and there’s are tutorials on how to make an eye in the end of synthetic line and attaching a thimble it’s really easy. Synthetic line is the way to go IMO, light and not barbs, safe too, no stored energy like steel line, easy to repair, inexpensive and so so strong.

Last edited:
S

Savoy

Sep 8, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a strap on my outlander with a 60 inch plow after breaking a steel cable and just not trusting the rope. It worked great for 3 years without hassle. The outlander was used only to plow so no worries about getting stuck on the trail. Moose plows has a pulley system that lessens the strain on the rope system. Probably could be fitted to other plow systems.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!