Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Reading a valve adjustment thread got me wondering. Not to repeat the pros or cons from that thread, just curious about actual experience by Honda owners. If yes, was it out of specs?

Last edited:
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is a 2015 that I bought in the summer of 2014 as soon as they came out. It's got around 2500 miles on it and has never ticks or shown any sign of valves needing adjustment. Besides adding options to it I've done nothing mechanical to it, only regular service of oil and filters.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Valve clearance doesn't generally get looser-noisier, with use, the clearance generally gets tighter-quieter, as the valves recede into the head as the seats and valve faces wear in. I've found particularly with the V-6 Hondas, that a valve adjustment at between 300-400 hrs very often makes them run a whole lot better, less noticeable with the three and four cylinder engines. If the valve clearance gets below minimum spec, they tend to be a little harder starting, and don't idle as well as a properly adjusted valve-train. Worst case, the clearance goes away completely, and it starts to burn the valves and seats prematurely because the valves don't shut completely. I haven't seen a single valve that was looser than max spec, and I've checked literally hundreds- but all my Honda experience is with the marine engines. I guess my point is that it's worth the effort to check/adjust the valve clearance, and always adjust them to the loosest spec.

Reactions: Morpheus
BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I was on the fence but decided to take my P5 to the dealer for the first service due to the extended warranty contract. I requested for the valves to be checked also. Will edit my post with specs when I have the receipt in hand.

IN = 0.14mm = .0055"
EX = 0.21mm = .0083"

No adjustment stated.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!