P1000 Portals and rockcrawling

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These were at Windrock while we were there a few weekends ago. They makem for the pioneer. Gen 3. Wonder how they will hold up.

Ignore his geography ignorance...

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys have my attention. I smoked the buggies over pretty well and the kits looked solid! Got a set of whips from you guys while we were there. Already installed them and good quality.

I do wish you guys offered polyurethane bushings in your arms. That would take some of the shockload from the mounting tabs. The pioneers are not blessed with beefy mounts....

Reactions: SuperATV
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might be wrong but the way the portals on the market appear to be built it appears that the output shaft is supported by one large outboard bearing and a small needle or ball bearing inset to a machined aluminum case on the other side. The input shaft is similar. The cases don’t appear to be vented either. Also have straight cut gears.

This layout doesn’t lend its self to a lot of longevity under directional loads tangential to the shaft and would explain reports of shaft and case breakage. I’m talking more than 20k miles.

If you look at a portal on the rear of a tractor, you have cast iron cases, both input and outputs supported on both ends by large diameter bearings, decent sized oil sump. Very durable but also wider and heavier.

Maybe I’m missing the boat, I don’t see how an Aluminum case portal can survive a few slides directly into big rocks as was even demonstrated in the op video.

D

DDDonkey

Hey! I'm in that video! ;)

Portals are a game changer if you're looking to go up in tire size, needing ground clearance, looking for lower gearing and more power to the ground, and just making your Pioneer more capable in every way.

Can you tell us what the portals weigh, may be the 4" vs the 6"?

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
You guys have my attention. I smoked the buggies over pretty well and the kits looked solid! Got a set of whips from you guys while we were there. Already installed them and good quality.

I do wish you guys offered polyurethane bushings in your arms. That would take some of the shockload from the mounting tabs. The pioneers are not blessed with beefy mounts....

Very true! You should check out our frame stiffener. It'll protect those tabs before they get wallered out, bent, or ripped off. Its out of stock right now, but we should have the next batch done in a week or two.
Here's a link: Honda Pioneer 1000 Frame Stiffener / Gusset Kit

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
It’s just another component waiting to fail!

Tenor

They're not for everyone. Just hardcore guys that want to hit crazier trails, rocks, and mud holes. You get some serious bottom end, lift, and you can run bigger tires.

If you can break one in a Pioneer, I'd be impressed. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plumber32
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
A Pioneer 1000, no lift kit, with a set of 4" portals sitting on some 35 crawlers would do awesome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Maybe I’m missing the boat, I don’t see how an Aluminum case portal can survive a few slides directly into big rocks as was even demonstrated in the op video.

Straight cut gears are always stronger than helical gears. The Gen 3 portals all have sealed roller bearings, and the bearings are sealed internally, and not on the axle or output shaft. Venting would allow water, dust, mud, and other debris into the case. You have the option of going with a cast steel case or a billet aluminum case. The billet aluminum is stronger than steel, and both are stronger and more impact resistant than cast iron.

These things are built to take a serious beating. We took an old concept, portals on farm equipment, and perfected it. The whole point behind them is to take stress off your axles, diff, and trans, make your rig bigger, badder, and tougher than before, and allow you to beat the snot out of it, and go places you never could have imagined going before using them. I've never seen one break on a Pioneer. I've seen some stripped gears and busted boxes in the past, but if you can get that far...it means it saved you from destroying your diff or trans.

With portals you'll see rock climbers are running 35" plus tires, mud guys are running 50" plus tires, and trail guys are hitting trails that only built Jeeps and rock bouncers could hit before. They make the impassible look easy. But...again, they're not for everyone. Just the hardcore.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a thought for you. Rear arms that increase your wheel base 3"'s using your new axles. Instead of the 1.5" arms now

If the new axles will do steeper angles, give us arms in the rear capable of using that to increase our wheel base.

Come on back to windrock, i want to wheel on the rocks with the portal buggy. This seriously has me interested.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Here is a thought for you. Rear arms that increase your wheel base 3"'s using your new axles. Instead of the 1.5" arms now

If the new axles will do steeper angles, give us arms in the rear capable of using that to increase our wheel base.

Come on back to windrock, i want to wheel on the rocks with the portal buggy. This seriously has me interested.

Man, I'm dying to get back down there! Portals made some of these hill's look easy. I think this was on 39. He's the only one that even tried this hill. Everybody else said NOPE and went around. Lol!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Bhahaha... if you want them broken. Send our group some!
Not your axles, a-arms, tie rods, steering rack, roof side up. Just the portals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very true! You should check out our frame stiffener. It'll protect those tabs before they get wallered out, bent, or ripped off. Its out of stock right now, but we should have the next batch done in a week or two.
Here's a link: Honda Pioneer 1000 Frame Stiffener / Gusset Kit
Im usually not one to bash someones product....but .......i have spent the last 2.5 hrs trying to make this POS fit on my machine. Right off the bat there were no instructions...no biggie i download online. Pretty straightforward install anyway... the main bracket holes are cut at least a 16th off. Again no biggie..rattail file and main bracket on. The front AArm tabs are cut to the wrong angle and misalligned. When i put the bolts in and tighten them it pinches the A arms bolts. So if i was to have problems with my arm i would uave to loosen the entire frame kit. Yalls QC needs to step up a couple notches. I have bought alot of SuperATV stuff and hate to bash one of your products....bit this one is crap and will be going back!
And just for the record i read several reviews that stated the same issues i have. I just really hoped that it wouldn't be the case with mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncred02 and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!