P500 possibility of a dual fuel tank

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I'm thinking it would be easy albeit a bit expensive to have another P500 fuel tank under the drivers seat, P500 fuel tank, fuel pump/sender, fuel filler bezel, fuel cap, switch and a fuel solenoid valve to switch form one tank to another.

A couple of thoughts are:
I'm thinking I'd need to have a check valve on each side, are there check valves already built into the stock fuel system?
would the ECM fault at the momentary blimp as the tanks are switched?

Fabbing up the mount would be easy and I have seen the fuel tank fill bezels for sale.

With space at a premium on the P5 I'd really like the extra fuel in a suitable vented container out of the way and make good use of that space down there.

any thoughts good, bad, funny?

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Your rides are over 100 miles often ?

I'm thinking it would be easy albeit a bit expensive to have another P500 fuel tank under the drivers seat, P500 fuel tank, fuel pump/sender, fuel filler bezel, fuel cap, switch and a fuel solenoid valve to switch form one tank to another.

A couple of thoughts are:
I'm thinking I'd need to have a check valve on each side, are there check valves already built into the stock fuel system?
would the ECM fault at the momentary blimp as the tanks are switched?

Fabbing up the mount would be easy and I have seen the fuel tank fill bezels for sale.

With space at a premium on the P5 I'd really like the extra fuel in a suitable vented container out of the way and make good use of that space down there.

any thoughts good, bad, funny?
s

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check valve? Your over thinking it.
The stock tank won't fit on the opposite side will it? It be too easy if it did.

Anyways, You dont need to build 2 systems. You need to treat it as a reserve tank like truckers do, one that pumps into the main tank upon call.
I could see a small 12v fuel pump working as a transfer pump. There are others and big ones too.
Delphi External Electric Fuel Pumps FD0031

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Easier solution, do what I did and mount an extra 5 gallon Jerry can to the rack. You can find the can and rack combo for under $40 on EBay. It also has a metal strap that goes over the top to lock it in place and prevent theft (forgot to take that pic).
382f318dfe4fc0f351809e96048173b7 3487228c358421ea3625d95d108defa4

Last edited by a moderator:
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Check valve? Your over thinking it.
The stock tank won't fit on the opposite side will it? It be too easy if it did.

Anyways, You dont need to build 2 systems. You need to treat it as a reserve tank like truckers do, one that pumps into the main tank upon call.
I could see a small 12v fuel pump working as a transfer pump. There are others and big ones too.
Delphi External Electric Fuel Pumps FD0031
The stock tank should be able to fit after making a mount for it but the side cover of course needs a filler hole cut into it but the bezel that goes around a filler neck is available in black plastic.
I'm planning now and will start working on it in earnest this fall/winter when I bring it down state where I spend the most time and have the most tools.

I'll start by removing the fuel tank and just seeing how it needs to be mounted on the other side, the only real problem I see is the frame may end up being to close to the filler tube and will continue until I have it all set and functional on the drivers side then it will be easy to just add another tank on the passenger side.

The fuel transfer pump will be the easier way, I'd prefer to just switch tanks and be able to see fuel levels in each and run off of either but the transfer pump might be the better/safer option.

We are going up to the shack today for a few hours (job interview) and I'll be taking more pictures of the fuel area's.

I've looked at the various gas cans with mixed reviews and just want as much space in the back for other stuff as I can get.

Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Gonna be tough to check the Oil if you have a fuel tank under the drivers seat.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn’t the header curve off to the drivers side? I bet that puppy can get really hot, glow in the dark hot. Seams like a difficult combination - hot exhaust, plastic container and gas.

You’ve got a 500 nearby why don’t you send a picture?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@TeamCheap
It has been said before. Your best and cheapest option will be a transfer pump.
Hit the wrecking yard and grab a sender from a used older truck. Grab an autometer fuel gauge for it and you are set. A simple elec fuel pump will be enough to plumb into your tank. It will take up some space in your rack, but like @lee mentioned, there is a good chance the exhaust is routed there. I wouldn't mess with fuel that close to your assets.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If your hell bent on an auxiliary fuel cell I would not put it under driver's seat next to exhaust header, just asking for a flaming RZR experience. However you could hillbilly adapto-fit a 3-4 gallon tank under the front hood where the accessory storage tray mounts, then just gravity feed into the main fuel tank. You want to ensure the OEM vent line is well above the top of that auxiliary tank, hell might even use that line as the transfer line then route a good vent line off 2nd tank. Would make for a closed loop that way. Note by doing this using vent line for transfer would never want to remove OEM fill cap unless certain tank was partially empty, or risk high flow spill.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
If your hell bent on an auxiliary fuel cell I would not put it under driver's seat next to exhaust header, just asking for a flaming RZR experience. However you could hillbilly adapto-fit a 3-4 gallon tank under the front hood where the accessory tray could fit, then just gravity feed into the main fuel tank. You want to ensure the OEM vent line is well above the top of that auxiliary tank, hell might even use that line as the transfer line then route a good vent line off 2nd tank. Would make for a closed loop that way.
One like this should fit right up in there for $42

4 Gallon CARB/EPA Natural Tank with 2.25" Neck - 14" L x 7.5" W x 11.25" H | United States Plastic Corp.

Or in black.

4 Gallon CARB/EPA Black Tank with 2.25" Neck - 14" L x 7.5" W x 11.25" H | United States Plastic Corp.

13886p

13887p

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Tanks from @JACKAL would also be nice for water (quick radiator/windshield wash with 12v sprayer). Nice idea IMO.

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Pawnman87

Pawnman87

Oct 4, 2015
Murfreesboro, Ar
Ownership

1. 500
Been thinking about this same idea myself for a while now trying to figure out how to carry spare fuel and found this on ebay its a 5 gallon metal racing fuel cell with sending unit for a pretty decent price. thought about mounting under driver side and using some diamond plate as a heat shield. getting a hose i can store out of the elements in tool box and wire it to a switch on the dash that way i can refuel myself or buddies on the trail because there is always "that guy" lol that never fills his tank before the ride lol and 5 gallons will go a long way on the ole P5!

BLACK COATED ALUMINUM FUEL CELL GAS TANK+LEVEL SENDER RACING/DRIFTING 5 GALLON | eBay

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Been thinking about this same idea myself for a while now trying to figure out how to carry spare fuel and found this on ebay its a 5 gallon metal racing fuel cell with sending unit for a pretty decent price. thought about mounting under driver side and using some diamond plate as a heat shield. getting a hose i can store out of the elements in tool box and wire it to a switch on the dash that way i can refuel myself or buddies on the trail because there is always "that guy" lol that never fills his tank before the ride lol and 5 gallons will go a long way on the ole P5!

BLACK COATED ALUMINUM FUEL CELL GAS TANK+LEVEL SENDER RACING/DRIFTING 5 GALLON | eBay
WOW that looks promising.

The header is a concern I'll know more when I can actually spend time measuring things up, our P5 is at the other house.

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
Not sure how the p-500 system works but I know lots of people who have aux tanks on the back of there snowmobile. They have aluminum tanks made to whatever size you want with a 1/4 nipple welded to the bottom and another on top as a vent.
They extend there vent line from regular tank to the nipple on the bottom of you aux tank and it will suck simply by vacuum. No pumps needed.

Almost all the riders of Cain’s quest (longest snowmobile race in the world) have this setup.
The aux tank will empty first and reg tank stays full until aux is empty. No switching tanks/pumps... very easy to do.

Lots of people with Honda generators do this also. 1/4 nipple screwed into there cap and fuel line extending off nipple and into a bigger tank. This is not gravity flow, all vacuum.

I’ve thought about this setup, either with a 6 gallon boat tank or get an aluminum tank made up to put on rack.

Watch some YouTube videos on how this works... very very simple.
39dc3000f8ab1af969a4c98acbe9a9e5
4ecfeeee8b17f5692d6d6c272987e5f2
7de3a88f3fed2dea18e7cd44d3abe6b8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Not sure how the p-500 system works but I know lots of people who have aux tanks on the back of there snowmobile. They have aluminum tanks made to whatever size you want with a 1/4 nipple welded to the bottom and another on top as a vent.
They extend there vent line from regular tank to the nipple on the bottom of you aux tank and it will suck simply by vacuum. No pumps needed.

Almost all the riders of Cain’s quest (longest snowmobile race in the world) have this setup.
The aux tank will empty first and reg tank stays full until aux is empty. No switching tanks/pumps... very easy to do.

Lots of people with Honda generators do this also. 1/4 nipple screwed into there cap and fuel line extending off nipple and into a bigger tank. This is not gravity flow, all vacuum.

I’ve thought about this setup, either with a 6 gallon boat tank or get an aluminum tank made up to put on rack.

Watch some YouTube videos on how this works... very very simple.
View attachment 79024
View attachment 79025
View attachment 79026

Interesting...…...so it looks like the biggest problem is finding the right size tank to fit the space we have under there.

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
Interesting...…...so it looks like the biggest problem is finding the right size tank to fit the space we have under there.

Easiest thing to do is have one made. Any size/shape you want. My brother in law just had a triangle shaped 55 gallon tank built for his jet boat. Fits right in the front of the boat.He had an extra nipple welded to bottom and top where he ran a clear gas line so he knows how much gas he has. I will have something rigged up, maybe 6-10 gallons when I get a chance and get my rack set up like I want it.

Way to many projects on the go right now lol

Reactions: chrisC
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!