DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, i guess the one good thing about the rack is that years of ATV's mean I have stuff lying around that will work until i can build something.

20180409 185501

20180409 185548

The main bag is a John Deer brand i got off ebay back in 2012 or thereabouts. Wanna say i paid like $50 for it, which was a pretty good deal. It is padded and has 3 compartments and some dividers. The padding stands it up even when really empty, and I like that the straps have latches, so you set them for the size, but just unhook them when you want to remove it. That's my "break bag" inside held over from the 700. Zipper may be rusted shut. Only time i need to open it is for tire plugs...

20180409 185606

Everything else here predates internet commerce for me (and a lot of people).
Th soft cooler is a Fieldline brand that Wal-mart once sold. Wally stuff is questionable quality, but this thing dates back to somewhere around 2001, and shows no damage as of yet. Note the color. It spent much time on the front of my old 450 Foreman, esp once out west. It is not water tight, so the melted ice water leaks out, which is no big deal.

20180409 185845

20180409 185621

Now note the color of the 2 smaller bags in the lead pic and above. Also a FieldLine product sold once at Wally world from about the same time as the cooler, they have never been run until now, and have been stored out of the sun. I'm not 100% sure, but i THINK the cooler was once the same color as these mint "rack bags". See what (mostly) AZ sun can do?
I am trying to incorporate them into the 500 somehow to combat the lack of storage. They only fasten on one end, so i may try to put them on the cage as in the pics, but fear they may flop too much. Also looked inside. May put them on the passenger door/side somehow, since 99% of the time i will be alone. I've seen people hang such things in the center of the backrest...but they are obviously much smaller than i am.

So goes it, until I can build a proper box/bed...

Last edited:
V

Viking1950

Apr 14, 2018
New Ulm, Mn.
Ownership

1. 500
30738759 10215808317865241 3833678819043049472 n1
The rack is a modified car rack that fits in receiver hitch. I normally don't carry the spare, just have not removed it since returning from AZ trail riding with the big boys( CA 1000s). I had no problem keeping up, and had my stock tires on so it got a little tippy at times with 50"width. Soon as I got home ordered spacers and bigger tires & wheels. Of course that lead to fabricating fender extensions. AND IT BEGINS.
30707462 10215798563261382 9212088968789622784 n1

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Well, i guess the one good thing about the rack is that years of ATV's mean I have stuff lying around that will work until i can build something.

View attachment 71499

View attachment 71500

The main bag is a John Deer brand i got off ebay back in 2012 or thereabouts. Wanna say i paid like $50 for it, which was a pretty good deal. It is padded and has 3 compartments and some dividers. The padding stands it up even when really empty, and I like that the straps have latches, so you set them for the size, but just unhook them when you want to remove it. That's my "break bag" inside held over from the 700. Zipper may be rusted shut. Only time i need to open it is for tire plugs...

View attachment 71501

Th soft cooler is a Fieldline brand that Wal-mart once sold. Wally stuff is questionable quality, but this thing dates back to somewhere around 2001, and shows no damage as of yet. Note the color. It spent much time on the front of my old 450 Foreman, esp once out west. It is not water tight, so the melted ice water leaks out, which is no big deal.

View attachment 71504

View attachment 71502

Now note the color of the 2 smaller bags in the lead pic and above. Also a FieldLine product sold once at Wally world from about the same time as the cooler, they have never been run until now, and have been stored out of the sun. I'm not 100% sure, but i THINK the cooler was once the same color as these mint "rack bags". See what (mostly) AZ sun can do?
I am trying to incorporate them into the 500 somehow to combat the lack of storage. They only fasten on one end, so i may try to put them on the cage as in the pics, but fear they may flop too much. Also looked inside. May put them on the passenger door/side somehow, since 99% of the time i will be alone. I've seen people hang such things in the center of the backrest...but they are obviously much smaller than i am.

we started...with this
20150526 074736

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 71499

View attachment 71500

View attachment 71501

View attachment 71504

View attachment 71502

hanging backpack in...center
bags on inside doors...

20180311 120047

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I've tried this and it don't fit with my big ass. May be able to do the inside of the doors. We'll see the next time out.
....haha...lmao...
The door bags.....great idea
IMO...Right there..easy
access..& cheap...

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Finished up my custom box today! Constructed out of 1” thick wood, 8” tall sides, and the exact shape of the rack. Sanded every square inch of it, including rounding off all the edges to give it a smooth look. Drilled pilot holes for every single screw to prevent splitting. Then for protection/durability I covered it with 3 coats of Rustoleum truck bed liner coating. Mounted it with 4 u-bolts. It was a fun project and couldn’t have pictured it turning out any better. The only thing left for it is a small diamond plate tool box that I have on order. Will post more pics when I install that.
View attachment 70680View attachment 70681View attachment 70682

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s the finished product!
48015a7230f24a2189adb31ed967cbf162a4d845a996720c8664e649d9042cdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdds

Mdds

Jul 29, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
992DA0C7 FDEB 49E8 91D4 D5E0A987284E
1E4EC544 BF41 4A96 8BEC E1CC7B424F4D
This is my custom storage box for my P5. Very strong and solid. Expanded metal all around. Framed bottom with black HPDE for the bottom plate. The complete box is bolted securely to the original Honda P5 rack. Easy to get into it as the rear section is framed and hinged as a drop down tailgate.

Lots of planning and researching what folks was buying and using.

I carry my tool kit, a Kolpin gas jug and all my gear is all enclosed in a removable fiberglass locking box and still have room for more gear. BC391640 FE28 4225 91F5 9C3B0D2072B2 622A16F2 1108 457B 8738 90BEF93D4F6B 4595CB57 D1E7 46FE 91D0 4A0C5720F194

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 76094 View attachment 76095 This is my custom storage box for my P5. Very strong and solid. Expanded metal all around. Framed bottom with black HPDE for the bottom plate. The complete box is bolted securely to the original Honda P5 rack. Easy to get into it as the rear section is framed and hinged as a drop down tailgate.

Lots of planning and researching what folks was buying and using.

I carry my tool kit, a Kolpin gas jug and all my gear is all enclosed in a removable fiberglass locking box and still have room for more gear. View attachment 76096 View attachment 76097 View attachment 76098

Nice box man. I’ve been thinking about pretty much doing the same thing but with wood. My question is what is the depth on it? I’m thinking of using treated 2x10’s or 2x12’s for my sides and back.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Love this thread. Lot of great ideas.

Here’s what I’m thinking of doing. Get a 1/2” or 3/4” sheet of treated ply wood and cut it to fit the rack maybe a small over hang on the sides not sure I’ve havent taken measurements yet. Buy some 1/4” stall Matt from local tractor supply cut to fit the floor. Liquid nail and sheet metal screw the Matt to the plywood. Will have to decide if o want the rear corners cut to the contours of the rack or not, guess it depends if I extend the box out past the rack on the rear or not. For the sides use 2x10 or 2x12 treated of coarse. Again I’ve got to take measurements. Before placing the Matt’s down on the plywood I would hurculine everything. For the tailgate I’d make it drop in an secure with pins or just put hinges on it with a cable and make it a true drop down gate. I’d secured to the rack with u bolts counter sunk for a clean look. Also I’d put a rubber hose over the U bolts to not scratch the rack and also bite and grip better. I could add I bolts where ever for tie down points. Lots of fine details I could add. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Love this thread. Lot of great ideas.

Here’s what I’m thinking of doing. Get a 1/2” or 3/4” sheet of treated ply wood and cut it to fit the rack maybe a small over hang on the sides not sure I’ve havent taken measurements yet. Buy some 1/4” stall Matt from local tractor supply cut to fit the floor. Liquid nail and sheet metal screw the Matt to the plywood. Will have to decide if o want the rear corners cut to the contours of the rack or not, guess it depends if I extend the box out past the rack on the rear or not. For the sides use 2x10 or 2x12 treated of coarse. Again I’ve got to take measurements. Before placing the Matt’s down on the plywood I would hurculine everything. For the tailgate I’d make it drop in an secure with pins or just put hinges on it with a cable and make it a true drop down gate. I’d secured to the rack with u bolts counter sunk for a clean look. Also I’d put a rubber hose over the U bolts to not scratch the rack and also bite and grip better. I could add I bolts where ever for tie down points. Lots of fine details I could add. What’s everyone’s thoughts?
Drill lots of holes in it, so you won't slosh, during rains, HA!

Reactions: HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Drill lots of holes in it, so you won't slosh, during rains, HA!

That’s true haven't really thought about water seeing how it wouldn’t be a dumping box that’s not a bad idea. Specially when spraying or cleaning it out with a hose.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I like the idea of just removing the stock cargo rack altogether with the plastic cover and rear fenders and build as needed.

The best idea's I can up with so far for the cargo/bed area are:
48"Wx40"Lx6" or 8"H pull out locking drawer with front and side walls that extend 4" to 10" above the diamond plate top over the drawer possibly with a matching height tailgate. Yeah a combo drawer / open cargo box.

On the wild side is the idea of a universal quick release mount in place of the stock cargo rack/fenders to receive the above drawer/open bed combo for the trails or the 48"Wx60"L flatbed work platform for around the home that can be attached to the P5, loaded with tools/materials and driven to a work site and set up on it own legs freeing up the P5 if needed.

With as many atv's, lawn tractors, and other toys I have laying around I almost need a mini wrecker attachment for it.:D you know so I can tow them to the road and sell them to buy stuff for the P5.

I'm just thinking and planning for now, I wont be able to do much until later this year when I bring it back downstate for the winter where my tools are.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!