Problems at 403 miles

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good evening all

I took my new 2021 Talon back to Honda today, both rear wheel bearings were making noise and had lots of side to side movement, the front differential was also leaking on the left side and occasionally low range is difficult to engage.
I've owned Honda products since the late 1960's and still own an 02 Goldwing and never experienced these kinds of problems so I am some what disappointed in this machine to have problems this early in its life.
The service writer said he's never heard of these kinds of problems with the Talons but said they will have it back soon, I'm real easy on this thing cause I'm to old to go fast anymore, have any of you hard chargers or anyone else out there had wheel bearing problems with low mileage ?

Reactions: ChadD and Blownzuki
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Your experience makes me wonder about training and quality control at the Honda plant in SC. As you said, that's not typical in Honda products.

Reactions: ChadD and BigOL3
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The noise in the rear isn't wheel bearings, its the play in the radius rods. Usually happens when the wheels are off the ground.

The diff seal leak is common, make sure they check for a clogged vent.
Honda tech, do you mean wheels off the ground while getting some air ? I'm real easy on this machine its never jumped any thing, also its not been jacked up or off the ground in any other way, the noise is a rotational grinding sound just like any wheel bearing gone bad, the Honda tech initial inspection also agreed it was wheel bearings, they just claimed never to have seen that issue.
Placing a dial indicator on the right rear wheel while rocking side to side shows .230 of an inch side to side motion in the wheel the front wheels had only the flex in tires showing on the indicator, I am a precision gun smith building long range custom rifles so I use precision measuring tools every day.
It may have radius rod issues also .
Thanks

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The service writer said he's never heard of these kinds of problems with the Talons
This seems to be the new BS response from Honda and their dealers. Any service writer claiming they are not aware of sub-trans low gear engagement problems, low/empty sub-trans from the factory or a front diff seal leak on a Talon is simply full of $HIT. These issues are plentiful and have been around since day one!

Wheel bearing issues are not common at all so I will give them that one. Both sides and only 400 miles, this would be a first. Maybe a bad batch of bearings or possibly someone at the factory forgot to torque the axle nuts properly.

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
@HondaTech and @PaulF nailed it also as a Honda tech I have seen all of these issues straight from the delivery truck. checking over the units during PDI is key to make sure all is as it should be Honda is doing what they can to meat the demand on these units. they are selling prior to even arrival at dealerships i know that all of our units have deposits on them and haven't even gotten them yet. as to your issues I have yet to see any wheel bearing issues just the slop that comes in after several hundred miles on the radius rods I started getting the slop at about 600miles, and the axles seals common like Honda tech said check vent make sure its clear and have dealer ship swap seal, the low range not engaging is normal maintenance for the owner, the shift cables stretch with use normally 1 or 2 adjustments are needed and then your good, also having a good shifter plate like many others make, make life so much better.

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good evening all
Well I got it back from the dealer, Honda Tech and others were correct the excess play is in the radius rods apparently this is normal as the shop had a brand new Talon on the floor with more slop in rear wheels than mine, they also had a second new Talon with no side to side play, the technicians took lots of time and effort to demonstrate the issue so I could see it for myself at no charge to me.
The noise was caused by an unseen small piece of wire that had gotten wrapped around the front axle during some of cross country driving in tall grass, it made a crunchy rubbing sound similar to a bad bearing, that was an easy fix.
Honda says its assembly grease seeping from the front seal but it smells like gear oil, they will only address front left seal leak if it drips enough to form a puddle, this sounded like bull s*** to me but these techs are limited to what Honda tells them for warranty.
I checked the vents my self there were no obstructions.
The low range shifting was addressed at no cost to me and so far works fine.

Thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure if my pioneer is much different than the talon for the drive train but my low engagement and 4wd engagement will not work sometimes. My machine is probably close to 500 miles maybe I would have to check but when I asked the dealer about it he said it was $80 to adjust. I told him it's been doing it since the day I brought it home why will warranty not cover it, he said it is a maintenance item in the first service so warranty doesn't cover it.

Edit

I will say I do not like my local dealer. They are Honda only and every time I deal with them they are exactly what their name is

Dick's Honda

I chose to drive 1.5 hours to a powersports dealer to purchase my pioneer at 2k less than Dick's. When I confronted the salesman at Dick's his literal words were "that's fine, someone else will buy it". A buddy of mine purchased his from Dick's and at 80 miles had the same problem with shifting and was told the same thing about warranty not covering it. He paid them and went on.

I will get off my soap box now.

Last edited:
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I am not sure if my pioneer is much different than the talon for the drive train but my low engagement and 4wd engagement will not work sometimes. My machine is probably close to 500 miles maybe I would have to check but when I asked the dealer about it he said it was $80 to adjust. I told him it's been doing it since the day I brought it home why will warranty not cover it, he said it is a maintenance item in the first service so warranty doesn't cover it.

Edit

I will say I do not like my local dealer. They are Honda only and every time I deal with them they are exactly what their name is

Dick's Honda

I chose to drive 1.5 hours to a powersports dealer to purchase my pioneer at 2k less than Dick's. When I confronted the salesman at Dick's his literal words were "that's fine, someone else will buy it". A buddy of mine purchased his from Dick's and at 80 miles had the same problem with shifting and was told the same thing about warranty not covering it. He paid them and went on.

Mr. Robobraniac
The Honda service people told me that was a maintenance item also, but when they checked my service record they saw the tech had failed to actually make the adjustments I had already paid for, so the shop owed me for the adjustment, not Honda warranty, I should have made that clearer. Check your first service invoice to see if that adjustment was performed as it should have been.
Y'all have a great Memorial Day

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mr. Robobraniac
The Honda service people told me that was a maintenance item also, but when they checked my service record they saw the tech had failed to actually make the adjustments I had already paid for, so the shop owed me for the adjustment, not Honda warranty, I should have made that clearer. Check your first service invoice to see if that adjustment was performed as it should have been.
Y'all have a great Memorial Day
I do my own services and I see it is included in the first service. I feel it shouldn't be an issue item and there is a difference between a machine that has the issue on day one versus the issue starting at mile 101. The dealer I purchased mine from offered to adjust it for free but I did not want to drive that far to have it done.

Reactions: ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Edit

Dick's Honda

Some dealers may provide poor service any time but times must be tough for Honda dealers now because they don't have anything to sell. Even the good ones may not be as helpful as during normal times.

If gears are not fully engaging when you shift into High or Low Range and you hear grinding serious damage can result. If it was mine I would bite my tongue, swallow my frustration, and pay the dealer to perform the adjustments.

There is a Honda dealer very close to me but he didn't have any inventory when I bought my Pioneer at a dealer 150 miles distant. I trailer the buggy to the selling dealer for service. It's a good store with a good attitude and a good service department.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some dealers may provide poor service any time but times must be tough for Honda dealers now because they don't have anything to sell. Even the good ones may not be as helpful as during normal times.

If gears are not fully engaging when you shift into High or Low Range and you hear grinding serious damage can result. If it was mine I would bite my tongue, swallow my frustration, and pay the dealer to perform the adjustments.

There is a Honda dealer very close to me but he didn't have any inventory when I bought my Pioneer at a dealer 150 miles distant. I trailer the buggy to the selling dealer for service. It's a good store with a good attitude and a good service department.
I wish the dealer I bought mine from was closer to me. Anytime I talk to them in person or on the phone they are always pleasant to deal with. I have never liked my local Honda dealer. I have messed with them off and on for 5 years now before I ever had my pioneer and I have never liked their service. 2 weeks ago I went in to my local Polaris dealer for the first time and then had to go a second time later that week and holy cow what a place. I don't understand how my local Honda guy even exists.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Can-Am and Polaris dealers have been around for many years. They are well established and have owned the market until Honda decided to enter it. Their dealers can afford to be friendly and helpful.

Consumers who have an appreciation for bells and whistle instead of mechanical superiority or don't know the difference like Polaris and Can-Am products.

The first time I drove a Polaris I was unaware of the rubber band drive system but immediately didn't like the fact that the engine is always revving high regardless of road speed. The other brands use a centrifugal clutch and v belts. No thanks. I wouldn't own one.

I like the Honda's dual clutch transmission with mechanical gear train. The Pioneer and Talon don't offer many of the comfort and convenience features of the Polaris and Can-Am but the drivetrain is far superior.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can-Am and Polaris dealers have been around for many years. They are well established and have owned the market until Honda decided to enter it. Their dealers can afford to be friendly and helpful.

Consumers who have an appreciation for bells and whistle instead of mechanical superiority or don't know the difference like Polaris and Can-Am products.

The first time I drove a Polaris I was unaware of the rubber band drive system but immediately didn't like the fact that the engine is always revving high regardless of road speed. The other brands use a centrifugal clutch and v belts. No thanks. I wouldn't own one.

I like the Honda's dual clutch transmission with mechanical gear train. The Pioneer and Talon don't offer many of the comfort and convenience features of the Polaris and Can-Am but the drivetrain is far superior.
I am a Honda fan, the only reason I ended up at the Polaris dealer was because I went to purchase a trail blazer 250 for $800 running and driving ready to go. The price was good and I really need an automatic to get my sister in law interested in the sport. I showed up and the quad would run but not drive. The guy seemed embarrassed that I drove all the way there and something was wrong with it. He swears he just drove it the other day. I think his kid drove it, broke it, and put it away without telling anyone. We messed with the quad for a while. Found the belt to be good, found the clutch working but something internally of the transmission was not working. I paid 500 for it planning on buying a transmission from eBay. Got it home and couldn't get the primary clutch off. I asked a guy I worked with who has a Polaris mechanic as a friend and he said I could borrow the specialty tool. I drove over to Polaris and grabbed the tool. While there I talked to the mechanic and he had a parts trail blazer he would sell me for $100. He said it runs WOT and he didn't want to mess with it. He said he got it free and road it a couple years before it got stuck open. He said it may need a top end. I bought it from him planning on using the transmission out of it. I sprayed some starter fluid into it and it fired right up so I figured I would mess with it. Found the injection pump stuck causing the throttle cable to bind and stick open. Mixed some fuel up and put a spring on the cable and road it around for the weekend. I purchased another transmission on ebay for the other quad, now I have 2 trail blazers :p next week I went in again and bought a new chain for one of the trail blazers and both times I have been inside it was nice. Good customer service.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!