P500 Problems with new Pioneer 500

skybound2000

skybound2000

Aug 4, 2019
California
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Hey all, thanks for your time. Got my 2019 500 home last week and been lots of problems, mainly with shifting from 1-2 in automatic. It just lunges back and forth, foot in in the same place on the peddle but it’s going up and down in rpm. Weird, almost like fuel cutoff. Does this with seat belt on or off. Never gets to two, and sometimes the number 1 appears followed by a dash... then I turn it off and back on, switch into neutral and start it again. I’ve watched the clutch adjust vid, tried 1/4-1 whole turn, nothing. Oil is good, battery is fully charged. Also, when in manual, it doesn't always shift from 1-2 with the up paddle. When hitting the paddle, it’s like that fuel cutoff again and second is never reached. Additionally, the seat belt limiter doesn't always work when the belt is off - Not that that is a problem however, could it be related? Anyhow, I’ve owned lots of Hondas and I am used to bulletproof reliability out of them especially the week after getting a brand new unit home from the dealer-so this has been quite the disappointment... to say the least!!!

Your thoughts are appreciated. Oh one other thing- The shifting is incredibly jerky and hard, so much so that I’m afraid to have the wife get behind the wheel because she’ll instantly hate it, but I understand that’s typical of a new unit from doing research here. Anyhow anything you guys have I will take because I hate having to take it back to the dealer-they’re very large and understaffed of course, so it’ll be like a week and a half before I get the damn thing back.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

I've ridden in a few that have difficulty shifting from 1-2 especially when its colder outside. The fuel cutoff feeling is because the ignition cuts for the split second the shift happens, that's how the auto up and down shifting works without a DCT or converter.

Have you tried tightening the battery cables?

Maybe adjusting the clutch loose or tight could help as well.

skybound2000

skybound2000

Aug 4, 2019
California
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
We are 100F this week. Battery cables tight, clutch adjust from 1/4 turn to 1 full turn, still doing it, among other things (see first post). Thanks for your reply.

I've ridden in a few that have difficulty shifting from 1-2 especially when its colder outside. The fuel cutoff feeling is because the ignition cuts for the split second the shift happens, that's how the auto up and down shifting works without a DCT or converter.

Have you tried tightening the battery cables?

Maybe adjusting the clutch loose or tight could help as well.

Reactions: Chooglin
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
We are 100F this week. Battery cables tight, clutch adjust from 1/4 turn to 1 full turn, still doing it, among other things (see first post). Thanks for your reply.
Mine refuses to shift until engine and transmission warm up. After that it does fine. As far as the rough shifting don't let off the gas to shift up and give it some time to break in and it should do better.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Have you tried taking off in 2nd instead of 1st. Sometimes my 2016 P5 doesnt wanna shift out of 1st while its moving, but I come to a stop, shift to 2nd and take off and drive it around the yard, then downshift to first and neutral. From that point forward it never has a problem the rest of the day. It normally does this when it sits for like a month without being driven

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
My machine rarely ever sees 1st gear. That's a granny gear for low end torque situations only. Let it warm up for a couple minutes after starting, take off in second and hammer it. When it winds out pretty good grab 3rd without letting off the gas a bit, same for 4th and 5th. If it doesn't shift there's a problem somewhere. First thing would be clutch adjustment, heads up that screw can be touchy and you have to find the happy spot.
Don't get too discouraged, it has to be something simple and once you figure it out that machine is bullet proof. ;)

skybound2000

skybound2000

Aug 4, 2019
California
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Thanks, but the whole idea of a small automatic was so that the wife could love it too.

My machine rarely ever sees 1st gear. That's a granny gear for low end torque situations only. Let it warm up for a couple minutes after starting, take off in second and hammer it. When it winds out pretty good grab 3rd without letting off the gas a bit, same for 4th and 5th. If it doesn't shift there's a problem somewhere. First thing would be clutch adjustment, heads up that screw can be touchy and you have to find the happy spot.
Don't get too discouraged, it has to be something simple and once you figure it out that machine is bullet proof. ;)

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Nothing for nothing but if it was mine it would go back to the dealer they should have checked it out better before delivery. I was the parts and service manager for a top rated Honda dealership for several years, and we would have not let that unit leave the shop if was not right. We were located in town on a major street however we still developed a test ride procedure that every machine went through before delivery. Granted something may have failed after it was tested, but they should still be more than willing to make whatever provisions necessary to see that you get your unit back immediately if not sooner. Staffing issues are their problem not yours.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are you adjusting the clutch cold or hot? I've found that unlike all the previous semi-auto clutch Honda's I've owned, it works better adjusted cold. Or you could simply go slightly less than 1/4 turn. Synthetic oil will help a lot after break in.

Honestly, those 1st few shifts of the day will always be a bit sticky, though not to the point that you describe.

Reactions: trigger
Beez

Beez

Jul 7, 2019
Matyland
Thanks guys. Clutch was adjusted both hot and cold. I made an appointment with the dealer for Thursday morning.
Please follow up back here with the solution. have just bought an 18 that sounds like it's doing the same thing! In auto from a stop it lurches so I stop. The D goes to a dash - and then 1 blinks 5 times slow and 7 times quick. I have a video I'll try to share.

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My 2 cents. If it doesn’t go into a gear, try the shift tool to put it in Gear and drive manual mode to see what it does. Assuming battery and connections are good? Going to be a process of elimination.

skybound2000

skybound2000

Aug 4, 2019
California
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Skipped the dealer. Shifting 1-2 in auto and/or with the paddle in manual, 90% fixed. Seatbelt limiter not working sometimes: Meh. What’s seemed to have worked for me is a 1 quarter final turn clutch adjustment when cold, and after every warm-up not babying it in the first 5 minutes of driving. After that it shifts fine. What’s the dealer going to do with that? Nothing. I suspect as many have said these are 500 itches that work themselves out so to speak but only after much time and energy in the first 5-10 hours of break-in. I also suspect the first oil change will help quite a bit. Cheers and thanks for the advise

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Like the matching box and trailer.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Hey, for what its worth; my '15 still does it with a bazillion miles/hours on it. 1-2 misses, clunks, & slams. 100DegF down here in FL too, still does it. Its not a matter of temp, its an oil thing--at least that is my theory. I noticed if my P5 sits for a couple days, its more likely to happen. I think the oil between the the steels and friction plates seems to work out of the clutch-pack, and it sticks. Get the RPMs up good and high in first, left off the throttle, then shift up into 2nd in manual. Hold that paddle for a good long time when shifting too.... After a couple shifts, you'll notice it goes away. Oil works back into the clutch-pack.

skybound2000

skybound2000

Aug 4, 2019
California
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
BINGO!

What dpnorth just said is the best explanation I’ve heard yet. Thank you!

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
problems, mainly with shifting from 1-2 in automatic. It just lunges back and forth, foot in in the same place on the peddle but it’s going up and down in rpm. Weird, almost like fuel cutoff. Does this with seat belt on or off. Never gets to two, and sometimes the number 1 appears followed by a dash...

My new 2018 did this my first time tooling around the yard when I got it home. Shut it down, started over. Rode around 30 minutes or so, did not happen again. Should be able to get some miles logged this weekend. We shall see . . .

Reactions: 500oneer
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, for what its worth; my '15 still does it with a bazillion miles/hours on it. 1-2 misses, clunks, & slams. 100DegF down here in FL too, still does it. Its not a matter of temp, its an oil thing--at least that is my theory. I noticed if my P5 sits for a couple days, its more likely to happen. I think the oil between the the steels and friction plates seems to work out of the clutch-pack, and it sticks. Get the RPMs up good and high in first, left off the throttle, then shift up into 2nd in manual. Hold that paddle for a good long time when shifting too.... After a couple shifts, you'll notice it goes away. Oil works back into the clutch-pack.
Bingo,that is exactly what happens.The clutch plates stick together very quickly on these machines.I had a manual shift Foreman that would do it.On the manual shift models,you can hold the shifter up after putting it in gear,this had the same effect as pushing the clutch pedal in on a car.I would hold the rear brake while doing this and feeding some throttle.You could feel the pack break loose,and shifting from then on was smooth.Driving the electric shift Pioneer a little hard will free them up if the clutch is adjusted correctly.Mine would stick in just one day of non use.I tried different oils to see if this would go away,but really never saw much change.Just the nature of these I guess.By the way,they manufacture the clutch friction material for Honda products down the road from my house.

Reactions: ssuser
Beez

Beez

Jul 7, 2019
Matyland
I had this issue pretty bad on a used 2018 that had 4 hrs on it. It had sat for nearly a year. The dealer took the clutch apart and soaked. Ive had it back a few days now and shifting is much better.

S

Steve Carden

Oct 25, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all, thanks for your time. Got my 2019 500 home last week and been lots of problems, mainly with shifting from 1-2 in automatic. It just lunges back and forth, foot in in the same place on the peddle but it’s going up and down in rpm. Weird, almost like fuel cutoff. Does this with seat belt on or off. Never gets to two, and sometimes the number 1 appears followed by a dash... then I turn it off and back on, switch into neutral and start it again. I’ve watched the clutch adjust vid, tried 1/4-1 whole turn, nothing. Oil is good, battery is fully charged. Also, when in manual, it doesn't always shift from 1-2 with the up paddle. When hitting the paddle, it’s like that fuel cutoff again and second is never reached. Additionally, the seat belt limiter doesn't always work when the belt is off - Not that that is a problem however, could it be related? Anyhow, I’ve owned lots of Hondas and I am used to bulletproof reliability out of them especially the week after getting a brand new unit home from the dealer-so this has been quite the disappointment... to say the least!!!

Your thoughts are appreciated. Oh one other thing- The shifting is incredibly jerky and hard, so much so that I’m afraid to have the wife get behind the wheel because she’ll instantly hate it, but I understand that’s typical of a new unit from doing research here. Anyhow anything you guys have I will take because I hate having to take it back to the dealer-they’re very large and understaffed of course, so it’ll be like a week and a half before I get the damn thing back.
Good luck ! 2019 Pioneer 500 owner. The dealer in central Alabama doesn’t have mechanic. I had fuel pump go out. Warranty was supposed to fix. The service mgr ordered called and said he had but two weeks to install. He had a local firman working on the side. We talked for a while he gave it me to install. Not a problem 2 hours in was in. Returned the one one. Will they turn in labor to Honda and get paid for the work?
I have had some issues with my shifting. However it does work better using the throttle to help it shift. Keep posting if find out problems.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!