BOX1

Question for Colorado Residents going to Moab - street legal

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have spent a lot of time in Moab either on a street legal dirt bike or a quad. Understand you need to get a OHV sticker and currently plan to trailer the Pioneer around, but digging into the rules and regs it sounds like Utah lets you make it street legal and get a plate? I've got mirrors and a horn, would have no problem adding turn signals and anything else to make it legal, but I can't see how you would do that as an out of state resident or how to get insurance coverage.

Has anyone tried this? Only reason I am thinking about it is it would be easier to go out to eat not having to park a trailer and for at least a few of the trails we plan to do finding a parking spot can get challenging. Not going to make or break the trip either way, just curious IF it can be done and if it is worth the hoops you have to jump through?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hope to do the same thing, a non resident plate in either UT or AZ. Snowbirds do it all the time but I haven't worked out the specifics. A Ranger in UT told me all I needed was a Utah address, well, just how am I supposed to do that? So - it's been done by many others, let us know if you figure it out. Not sure about the insurance either, my agent isn't certified in AZ so he was hands off even though he's State Farm. 🤔 They seem to want to know where it will be garaged - so no idea.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I have spent a lot of time in Moab either on a street legal dirt bike or a quad. Understand you need to get a OHV sticker and currently plan to trailer the Pioneer around, but digging into the rules and regs it sounds like Utah lets you make it street legal and get a plate? I've got mirrors and a horn, would have no problem adding turn signals and anything else to make it legal, but I can't see how you would do that as an out of state resident or how to get insurance coverage.

Has anyone tried this? Only reason I am thinking about it is it would be easier to go out to eat not having to park a trailer and for at least a few of the trails we plan to do finding a parking spot can get challenging. Not going to make or break the trip either way, just curious IF it can be done and if it is worth the hoops you have to jump through?
Great question and I hope you share the definitive answer once you get it....😎

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope to do the same thing, a non resident plate in either UT or AZ. Snowbirds do it all the time but I haven't worked out the specifics. A Ranger in UT told me all I needed was a Utah address, well, just how am I supposed to do that? So - it's been done by many others, let us know if you figure it out. Not sure about the insurance either, my agent isn't certified in AZ so he was hands off even though he's State Farm. They seem to want to know where it will be garaged - so no idea.

Just register it in South Dakota. It’s easy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Registering in South Dakota provides what to ride in Utah? Courios as to that would help!
Plates from any state are reciprocal in Utah --> no longer true, Utah opted out of reciprocity, so legally plated in SD is legal in Utah. You'll need Utah's safety equipment - turn signals, horn, rear view mirror and brake lights as far as I know.

Last edited:
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Registering in South Dakota provides what to ride in Utah? Courios as to that would help!

I registered my 2016 in SD a couple of months after I bought it. We have ridden in a dozen different states on the road with zero issues. We trailered out west last year and rode in Cali, Utah (including Moab), Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and Missouri.

Over the years we have been stopped in a couple of places Oceanside, CA being one and Michigan another and the cops looked at the registration and all of the required equipment and waved us on our way.

FYI the name and addresses on both my drivers license and SCS all match even though I have a Florida DL and the Honda is registered in SD.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I registered my 2016 in SD a couple of months after I bought it. We have ridden in a dozen different states on the road with zero issues. We trailered out west last year and rode in Cali, Utah (including Moab), Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota and Missouri.

Over the years we have been stopped in a couple of places Oceanside, CA being one and Michigan another and the cops looked at the registration and all of the required equipment and waved us on our way.

FYI the name and addresses on both my drivers license and SCS all match even though I have a Florida DL and the Honda is registered in SD.
Questions -
1. What is SCS?
2. Could you explain the part about matching addresses between Florida, SD and SCS?
3. Were you able to get the SD registration without a trip to SD, through the mail?
4. Did you need a SD address or PO box? How does that work?
5. Can you specify 'required equipment' ? I have turn signals, horn, brake lights, flashers and mirrors.

My head hurts. :oops:

@Vikes79

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Questions -
1. What is SCS?
2. Could you explain the part about matching addresses between Florida, SD and SCS?
3. Were you able to get the SD registration without a trip to SD, through the mail?
5. Can you specify 'required equipment' ? I have turn signals, horn, brake lights, flashers and mirrors.

@Vikes79

Not SCS, SXS. Damn spellcheck!!
2. All addresses match . SD allows registration with my Florida address.
3.Yes
4. No
5 They have a list that they provide and then you have to sign an affidavit that they are installed.

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you handle insurance? I don't think Colorado considers the Pioneer a street legal vehicle so insuring it is an issue. Have had problems with that in the past.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you handle insurance? I don't think Colorado considers the Pioneer a street legal vehicle so insuring it is an issue. Have had problems with that in the past.

Mine is insured with my auto insurance company in florida. No problem.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Questions -
1. What is SCS?

@Vikes79
In SD all you technically need is the following on your MC/SXS

lighted license plate
Rear view mirror
Brake lights
Seat belts.

What most run is
License plate
Seat belts
Turn signals
Rear view mirrors all
Brake lights

if I was an out of stater with SD plates, I’d have it fully done to the hilt including helmets. ( not required in SD)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing and CID
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback. Doubt I will have time to get it done before our Moab trip in a month but if I find myself wishing I was street legal I may go dig into the SD option a bit more.

Reactions: Smitty335
C

Crimsonman

Oct 17, 2019
Hurley, Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I too have my Pioneer 1000-5 is registered and plated in South Dakota. Have insurance and all the other requirements and I live in Mississippi.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

Utah allows Utah residents to plate it for street legal. Non residents who’s states will allow plating and street legal status are ok on Utah streets, non residents who’s states don’t allow plating and street legal status must trailer their SXS’s to trail heads.....

I and many I know who live in states that don’t allow plating and street legal status have plated and register our SXS’s in other states, ie., Idaho and South Dakota, but I don’t know of anyone that has tested this process. A group of us here will be doing so in Moab the first week of September and will post our experience here....👍

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!