P1000 Question from Honda P1K newbie about suspension

abclay

abclay

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2021
Rome, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello and thanks to everyone in advance.

Last year I traded my Ranger Crew 800 for a rust-free stock suzuki samurai (yeah, the guy was crazy). While the sammy will go just about anywhere I needed, it rode the trails like a covered wagon and last week I bought a 1000-5 deluxe for a trip hunting to texas so I wouldn't have to put so much alcohol on(in) my body after riding all day to ease the pain.

I love the honda's tranny vs the belt drive I had in the ranger and the ride in the Pioneer is MUCH better than the sammy but it was much less plush than the ranger and honestly leaves a lot to be desired imo.

I will be getting 4" portals in the near future with larger tires. Is there anything that I can do to help ease the jarring I get from the suspension? Or maybe I'm crazy and all this is in my head?

Thanks again. Also, the Sammy is for sale if anyone wants an unmolested, rust-free suzuki rock crawler in the making.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello and thanks to everyone in advance.

Last year I traded my Ranger Crew 800 for a rust-free stock suzuki samurai (yeah, the guy was crazy). While the sammy will go just about anywhere I needed, it rode the trails like a covered wagon and last week I bought a 1000-5 deluxe for a trip hunting to texas so I wouldn't have to put so much alcohol on(in) my body after riding all day to ease the pain.

I love the honda's tranny vs the belt drive I had in the ranger and the ride in the Pioneer is MUCH better than the sammy but it was much less plush than the ranger and honestly leaves a lot to be desired imo.

I will be getting 4" portals in the near future with larger tires. Is there anything that I can do to help ease the jarring I get from the suspension? Or maybe I'm crazy and all this is in my head?

Thanks again. Also, the Sammy is for sale if anyone wants an unmolested, rust-free suzuki rock crawler in the making.
Shocks help a bunch, P1's don't come with very good shocks. Unless you got the LE.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Once Grate State of Michigan!

Like Smitty said, aftermarket shocks are your best bet.

oh....PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

abclay

abclay

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2021
Rome, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll remember the picture requirement next time, sorry. ;) I put a couple here. The crawfish in Monroe LA at Cormier's are phenomenal. We stop twice every trip.

I searched the forum for shock recommendations but I got lost in other posts and learned lots of other things wasting tons of time. Are there any that are better than others? I saw a youtube video where a guy installed some "814" shocks.

Thanks! And btw, did I mention the Sammy is for sale.

171814794 10221398938375535 795108614341447322 n Cormiers Pioneer

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'll remember the picture requirement next time, sorry. ;) I put a couple here. The crawfish in Monroe LA at Cormier's are phenomenal. We stop twice every trip.

I searched the forum for shock recommendations but I got lost in other posts and learned lots of other things wasting tons of time. Are there any that are better than others? I saw a youtube video where a guy installed some "814" shocks.

View attachment 266291 View attachment 266292 View attachment 266293
Do some thinking about what you you will be adding to your buggy, winch, skid plate, weight of passengers, etc. And call or go online to several shock MGF's. Heard good things about Walker Evans, Fox and Elka, if they don't ask you what accessories you have move on, I've got Elka Stage 5's, you don't need these, Stage 3's are plenty and they will ask you all kinds of questions about anything that has to do with weight on your SxS front and rear to get the right shocks for you. I'm pleased with my Elka's, I just don't use all the adjustments on the Stage 5's.

abclay

abclay

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2021
Rome, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do some thinking about what you you will be adding to your buggy, winch, skid plate, weight of passengers, etc. And call or go online to several shock MGF's. Heard good things about Walker Evans, Fox and Elka, if they don't ask you what accessories you have move on, I've got Elka Stage 5's, you don't need these, Stage 3's are plenty and they will ask you all kinds of questions about anything that has to do with weight on your SxS front and rear to get the right shocks for you. I'm pleased with my Elka's, I just don't use all the adjustments on the Stage 5's.
Thanks! I will do that.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 266291 View attachment 266292 View attachment 266293
Which one is you?

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome from South FL
Nice ride!

I'm not much help with shocks as I'm still running my stocks but I know there's plenty to read about them on here. Like Smitty said, do your research according to your riding style.
Good luck!!

abclay

abclay

Lifetime Member
Apr 12, 2021
Rome, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reading some of the other threads, it looks like the reason I felt it was going to turn over when cornering is primarily due to the crappy 4 ply tires (weak sidewalls that roll easily) they put on the front which I already plan to do away with. I looked at the elka shocks and I will be calling them tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!