Talon questionable steering.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2020 X4 Live Valve has intermittent issues. Sometimes the EPS goes out randomly. All grounds good, voltage good - I spoke to a guy who had his EPS unit replaced, and his issue was resolved. Must be related to a faulty heat sensor in the EPS unit. I know they are designed to reduce voltage to the unit if it senses higher heat. Problem is, mine will come and go whether the unit has been running for 1 minute or 2 hours. I've reached out to dealer. We'll see what's up.

H

hondarider1194

Sep 5, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. Talon R
I read this question this morning, and was gonna give a smartass response of some sort, but went to vote & then hit the trails instead. For whatever reason, this question popped into my head while out riding.

What it sounds like from your limited description is under-steer, the front end sliding instead of turning while on slick or soft surfaces and when off the gas. Try hitting the gas next time you feel that, a little gas and it'll be neutral, a lot and the back end breaks loose and comes around nicely.

I doubt it's mechanical since it's intermittent, and the only on left turn issue could be a comfort zone thing where you're subconsciously more cautious on left turns. (Mine is lean angle, I don't like right hand as far as left hand lean)

Embrace rear steer, slow down before the turn, downshift, stomp gas to bring rear around, squirt out down the trail. Works best in 2WD.
This is hilarious - if you would have given that smart ass response you would of sounded like a fool. We have about 20 of these as rentals - 18 of them have this issue, as well as hard spots and prematurely wearing out with excessive slop after about 1000-1500 mile and have to be replaced. Doesn’t matter the tire size - their racks are junk. As well as their bushings, diff seals, ball joints, tie rod ends and lower/upper a arms.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is hilarious - if you would have given that smart ass response you would of sounded like a fool. We have about 20 of these as rentals - 18 of them have this issue, as well as hard spots and prematurely wearing out with excessive slop after about 1000-1500 mile and have to be replaced. Doesn’t matter the tire size - their racks are junk. As well as their bushings, diff seals, ball joints, tie rod ends and lower/upper a arms.

So the people renting your SxS's are not part of the problem? 🤣🤣🤣

I'll agree on the rack, tie rods and diff seals being problematic but the rest of your list sounds like rental problems to me. I race on stock ball joints, A-arms and bushings and have zero problems with those components.

H

hondarider1194

Sep 5, 2021
Wv
Ownership

1. Talon R
So the people renting your SxS's are not part of the problem? 🤣🤣🤣

I'll agree on the rack, tie rods and diff seals being problematic but the rest of your list sounds like rental problems to me. I race on stock ball joints, A-arms and bushings and have zero problems with those components.
Uh no. They drive them. Like what normal people do. Like what you do… and what I do.

Reactions: Jerryg
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Uh no. They drive them. Like what normal people do. Like what you do… and what I do.
We have lots of normal people driving them on this site without those issues, so what gives?

-What issues do you have with the stock A arms?

-What issues do you have with stock ball joints?

-What issues do you have with stock bushings, and in what locations?

If your renters are my kind of "normal" I can see why you have problems.... 🤣

Resized 20210828 1541392 1186213501189212

H

HondaTech

We have lots of normal people driving them on this site without those issues, so what gives?

-What issues do you have with the stock A arms?

-What issues do you have with stock ball joints?

-What issues do you have with stock bushings, and in what locations?

If your renters are my kind of "normal" I can see why you have problems.... 🤣

View attachment 293492

Same results for us as well, until we went with RaceCo arms we never had bushings problems. Still using stock balljoints in the race car as well. Maybe we're not as hard on parts as rental units. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I want to add, we haven't had issues with bushings after the RaceCo arms, we just arent using stock bushings anymore after installing them.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!