Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had not seen much discussion about the R-max on the forum. I saw one in person the other day. Fit and finish were top notch. Not the machine for me but if I had to choose between a 1000-5 and the Rmax today it might be tougher... except the retail is high on the Rmax for what it is .
it does have stainless brakeline which I think Honda should do for both pioneer and talon
FE7A2A4A 8651 4177 BB2C C363A1AED6B5

I took some photos of the shocks and the a arms .. the A arms appear to be built pretty tough
5A49EA51 ABA7 47F7 A05F ECC1ABECBDF3456A50B9 1B55 4F09 90CE 8E3C115BBED21FD04F3E 5714 4E59 A497 F2C0CBF4021BAADFC1C5 4B75 4A37 899F E82E3E8A7FF1
tinder spring were collapsed

R

rickoshea

i'm sure it's a well built machine but it is without a doubt the ugliest sport utv on the market,in my humble opinion.but if i had to choose between it and the general,it would win hands down.both machines are crazy expensive in Canada. if you spec it out to the max they run close to 40k.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i'm sure it's a well built machine but it is without a doubt the ugliest sport utv on the market,in my humble opinion.but if i had to choose between it and the general,it would win hands down.both machines are crazy expensive in Canada. if you spec it out to the max they run close to 40k.
yea, they are priced high (they are proud of them) but I also like how manufacturers are starting to offer models with accessories already installed like the winch, roof, stereo etc.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I drove one, it was a very underwhelming experience. I believe some of our modified pioneers drive as good as the rmax. The cockpit seems very cramped, I have doubts on how well the colored plastic will hold up over time. The shocks are very anemic. But the price is what really throws it off base.

The good: it’s very aesthetically pleasing interior. the low gear seems to be adequate, belt engagement is smooth, the accessories seem to be well thought out, the ride isn’t terrible.
What size tires do you think you could add with out changing A arms .. think the 2 seat comes with 30“ and the 4 seat comes with 29”

R

rickoshea

yea, they are priced high (they are proud of them) but I also like how manufacturers are starting to offer models with accessories already installed like the winch, roof, stereo etc.
i've always preferred to mod as i go with all my automotive machines.everything i need,nothing i don't.if i'd gotten the oem pioneer hard top when i bought it,i couldn't fit it into the garage with the tracks on,so i suffer with the soft bimini instead.

Reactions: Biteme
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i've always preferred to mod as i go with all my automotive machines.everything i need,nothing i don't.
Yep, I am the same way but so many are not. With them offering units with accessories already on there it ups the game for all manufacturers.. Kawasaki did it with different version of the KRX too. i Try to look at what the different companies do right and could do better on Models they are launching .. competition is good for the consumer

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I drove one, it was a very underwhelming experience. I believe some of our modified pioneers drive as good as the rmax. The cockpit seems very cramped, I have doubts on how well the colored plastic will hold up over time. The shocks are very anemic. But the price is what really throws it off base.

The good: it’s very aesthetically pleasing interior. the low gear seems to be adequate, belt engagement is smooth, the accessories seem to be well thought out, the ride isn’t terrible.
The ride is better than any pioneer except maybe snuffs. Guys on Facebook that own the rmax and krx say it rides just as good as the krx with a little adjustment. But most seem to dump factory springs on krx. But this is a sport utility not a pure sport. The power in the rmax feels alot better on the bottom than the krx. And it is faster. But krx is longer and wider so should be more stable. We will see in February!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had not seen much discussion about the R-max on the forum. I saw one in person the other day. Fit and finish were top notch. Not the machine for me but if I had to choose between a 1000-5 and the Rmax today it might be tougher... except the retail is high on the Rmax for what it is .
it does have stainless brakeline which I think Honda should do for both pioneer and talon
View attachment 237895
I took some photos of the shocks and the a arms .. the A arms appear to be built pretty tough
View attachment 237893View attachment 237894View attachment 237896View attachment 237897
tinder spring were collapsed
I like the flip seats and drivers space on the Pioneer. The Rmax drivers seat area looks tight to me. The extra power would be nice but it’s always going to improve as the SXS manufacturers are entering the numbers war. From everything I’ve seen and read, the Rmax is built very well. If I were buying again, I’d still probably go with the Pioneer but that’s also because I plan to add a machine in addition to the Pioneer. If I could only have one, I would maybe lean towards the Rmax a bit more.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, I am the same way but so many are not. With them offering units with accessories already on there it ups the game for all manufacturers.. Kawasaki did it with different version of the KRX too. i Try to look at what the different companies do right and could do better on Models they are launching .. competition is good for the consumer
The Pioneer only needs a handful of improvements to be equal or better than the Rmax.

1. Suspension Travel
2. Shocks
3. Up the power 10hp
4. Lower low range
5. Double sheer tabs
6. Stainless brake lines

Honda could do this for probably $1300 per unit and still be cheaper than the Rmax.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ride is better than any pioneer except maybe snuffs. Guys on Facebook that own the rmax and krx say it rides just as good as the krx with a little adjustment. But most seem to dump factory springs on krx. But this is a sport utility not a pure sport. The power in the rmax feels alot better on the bottom than the krx. And it is faster. But krx is longer and wider so should be more stable. We will see in February!
I think you need to post up those FB post ... that Is hard to believe

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The good
It’s a damn nice machine. Very well built and thought out, one quick glance you see how tough it’ll be. Steering felt the best of ANY Sxs I’ve been in. Lots of room for switches and everything laid out nice. The dump box on the 2 seat was best I’ve seen. 0 interior heat for summer. Everything worked correctly no rattles. Plenty of power and smooths our pretty well at speed and articulates good (I’d pull the front sway bar though) just a little tight inside but found it roomy enough especially for its size and liked the side bolster a lot. Factory 30’s but lots of room for more, low felt strong enough for more tire. Like the 64 width. Awesome machine for two people around a camp site. Reminded me of our original Wolverine R-Spec but slightly better everywhere. Point and go.
The bad
Wasn’t much other then I think sticker a bit high. It was louder then I thought it’d be (much noisier then Pioneer 1000, wife and I felt like we were yelling at each other even at cruise which isn’t the case in Honda but quieter then our Wolverine) had a lot of tip at high speed (more then my Pioneer) Cage is begging to be cut down, for at least aesthetics. The drive by wire throttle had a dead spot off the bottom I didn’t like (however we tested the cheapie without mode control, so that might differ) 0 interior heat for winter and night rides. Most of which wasn’t big deal but it definitely didn’t feel very sporty, it would however climb and crawl like a billy goat.
Personally I felt myself trying to continually grab the non-existent paddles, I really like the DCT and it showed me yet again how much I’d miss a machine without. I’d give up a few other things for it, had this had paddles it’d be top my list. Between having the right gear, the driver feel/input, noise levels, less loss of drivetrain power and ability to tug or tow anything I’d miss them.
That’s my opinion

Last edited:
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Just curious. Have you drove either one yet? The krx has 5 inches more travel. It definitely eats up the bumps.

Reactions: Biteme and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As much as it won’t happen I would rather not turn this into a R max vs KRX debate .. do think appropriate to compare to pioneer models since we all have experience and can relate to .. focus on features and what not .. @CumminsPusher - great review

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As much as it won’t happen I would rather not turn this into a R max vs KRX debate .. do think appropriate to compare to pioneer models since we all have experience and can relate to .. focus on features and what not .. @CumminsPusher - great review
I tried to be as open and honest as possible. It’ll still piss a few off I’m sure. I did shake the machine down pretty well and had high hopes for the test drive. Tried to be as un bias as possible. The overall experience was positive. Came back with very little against the machine that would stop a sale for us.
With that said my wife said my exact thoughts on the machine before I mentioned how I felt, we both want the same thing so it helps solidify our path someday soon

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
the krx isn't really a sport utility.the general would be a closer comparison to the rmax by a long shot.
I’d agree with the General comparison. That’s what they aimed at. I drove a General awhile back and liked it besides the cheapness of the cabin and doors. Lots of rattles too. Don’t particularly like a rig that catches fire either. Not a Popo guy in the slightest here so RMAX all day long, especially with components and belt life

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!