BOX1

Talon R turning radius improvement?

S

Sandfreak

Nov 29, 2018
Oregon
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Did anyone come up with a way yet to improve the turning radius of the R?

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Not that I have seen. But I was wondering, since the X and R use the same chassis, but the R a arms are sweep forward for part of its longer wheel base. This puts the CV joints on to much of a bind to turn the wheels as sharp as the X. Could we make X geometry a arms (- sweep) that are R length and that would allow the front wheels to turn sharper as the CV would not be on as a sharp of an angle with the axle straighter? Plus it would shorten the wheel base a little which would help with a tighter turning radius also. I do not have either machine to look at this.

Last edited:
L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not that I have seen. But I was wondering, since the X and R use the same chassis, but the R a arms are sweep forward for part of its longer wheel base. This puts the CV joints on to much of a bind to turn the wheels as sharp as the X. Could we make X geometry a arms (- sweep) that are R length and that would allow the front wheels to turn sharper as the CV would not be on as a sharp of an angle with the axle straighter? Plus it would shorten the wheel base a little which would help with a tighter turning radius also. I do not have either machine to look at this.
Oddly enough Honda shows the four seater which is even longer than the r yet they have the Same turning radius I have a talen R model and I think the radius is just a little bit pathetic

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm also waiting for someone and/or the aftermarket to address this issue for the R.

I had read on a Facebook Talon group (so take it with a grain of salt) that Hess Motorsports had something in the works for this issue, but I haven't seen anything come to market as of yet.

200X

200X

Sep 5, 2019
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm new here. Looks likes lots of good discussion. I am looking at getting a Talon X and have been unimpressed by the turning radius. The specs say something around 17 feet. That seems HUGE. I'm not sure what the turning radius is on the SXS that I currently own a quick search says that it is less than 8 feet. That's a big difference. Is it really 17 feet?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm new here. Looks likes lots of good discussion. I am looking at getting a Talon X and have been unimpressed by the turning radius. The specs say something around 17 feet. That seems HUGE. I'm not sure what the turning radius is on the SXS that I currently own a quick search says that it is less than 8 feet. That's a big difference. Is it really 17 feet?

The turning radius of a 400EX is 10 1/2 feet if memory serves. What SxS is under 8 feet?

200X

200X

Sep 5, 2019
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have a Commander. 8 feet seems low, that's why I did a disclaimer in my comment about a "quick search". I did notice it when I test drove the Talon. Thats why I'm asking.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a Commander. 8 feet seems low, that's why I did a disclaimer in my comment about a "quick search". I did notice it when I test drove the Talon. Thats why I'm asking.
The little P500 is at 12.8 feet. I've never been around a Commander. It could turn that tight. I'm like you and would be surprised though.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm also waiting for someone and/or the aftermarket to address this issue for the R.

I had read on a Facebook Talon group (so take it with a grain of salt) that Hess Motorsports had something in the works for this issue, but I haven't seen anything come to market as of yet.

As I was typing this earlier I figured I'd reach out and see if I could get any good info directly from the source. They were very quick to respond and here's what they had to say. It's not a definitive "yes we're going to address the R's turning radius", but it sounds like it sure is being considered in addition to other accessories:

Hess Motorsports Response

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Those are big numbers. Tough to get around here in many places. The Pioneer 1000 is under 14ft with a 5 seater. But using the upper full length skid plate it’s like half lol.
I’m hoping someone comes up with something for the X too. I think part of that might be the locked rear end though.

Last edited:
Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
IDK that the solid rear end makes that huge of difference. My 14 Maverick XRS DPS has a solid rear end and though I can not find a turning radius spec for the Mav, it does not take a parking lot to turn around. Now the 14 Maverick wheelbase is only 84.4" and that helps vs X at 87.6" and R at 92.7" of the Talon. I still think the answer is a negative swept front a arm on the R.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IDK that the solid rear end makes that huge of difference. My 14 Maverick XRS DPS has a solid rear end and though I can not find a turning radius spec for the Mav, it does not take a parking lot to turn around. Now the 14 Maverick wheelbase is only 84.4" and that helps vs X at 87.6" and R at 92.7" of the Talon. I still think the answer is a negative swept front a arm on the R.
It is a very noticeable difference on mine for sure. When traversing super tight trees I try to run in open diff when traction allows.
Now with that said I did switch to forward arched a-arms and with that miserable steering limiter that comes with arms removed it’s not been bad. Lost a little bit but not near as much as I would’ve thought.
Obviously forward a-arms changes tie rod angle for the negative. The straighter across the more push outward.
Im just wondering if the Talon wasn’t limited a bit from factory to keep from breaking shafts. I’d be curious to see steering angle between the Pioneer 1000 and the X.

Reactions: Bigshow
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Well there that is x vs r and that makes sense for axle life. Im wondering the difference in stroke between the X and Pioneer rack? Those two are closer related I would assume.

Check the part numbers?

Bigshow

Bigshow

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I come up with my idea for negative swept front a arms for the R from reading your post in those threads. I think a -2 a arm on the R and the X steering gear, should make the R turn tighter and not hurt the CV joint. This would also straighten tie rod angle and also shorten the wheel base from 92.7" to 90.7" which would also help steering. I do not think the little bit of shorter wheelbase would hurt handling in the woods.

CP I figured there would be some difference between locked and open but not alot. With the gear ratios not much difference between the P1K and Talon, possibly put a P1K rear pumpkin in the talon?

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I come up with my idea for negative swept front a arms for the R from reading your post in those threads. I think a -2 a arm on the R and the X steering gear, should make the R turn tighter and not hurt the CV joint. This would also straighten tie rod angle and also shorten the wheel base from 92.7" to 90.7" which would also help steering. I do not think the little bit of shorter wheelbase would hurt handling in the woods.

CP I figured there would be some difference between locked and open but not alot. With the gear ratios not much difference between the P1K and Talon, possibly put a P1K rear pumpkin in the talon?

I would assume that shorter wheelbase on the R nose might actually dig a little harder too. Might be better then just turn radius with the rear engine.
I do like the open in certain situations. Didn’t figure it would matter till we went from the P700 to the 1000. Wish the Wolverine had it.
I’d personally like a manual lockup while keeping the i4wd front.
Gotta feeling we will see some cool stuff coming from some solid minds. Been digging the people that can’t leave well enough alone with the Talon like what happened to the Pioneer. Makes a better machine for the individual

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The pedal on the right works wonders for improving the turning radius.

That, unfortunately, isn't always a viable option in tight wooded trails here in the Midwest and East Coast. Trees are very unforgiving when challenged.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That, unfortunately, isn't always a viable option in tight wooded trails here in the Midwest and East Coast. Trees are very unforgiving when challenged.
Lol, same here. It was a funny statement though

Reactions: jasond
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!