P1000 Radiator air flow

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to Pioneer 1000s and UTVs. But from all I have read about the heat issues with the 1000-5, has it ever been discussed about reversing the factory radiator fan to blow out the front, rather than blowing into the dash and the firewall? I was always told to 'Think outside the box' when working, so this thought came to me. The radiator fan sucks the air thru the radiator, and it does not have a good, smooth path for the hot air to escape. The floorboard and dash are areas that get hot due to the radiator fan. I read all about the seat getting hot too, due to motor being directly underneath seat. Do you think any of the radiator fan air flow goes under floorboard, between floorboard and skid plate, eventually getting to engine area? Cars and trucks have the radiator fan blowing on engine, so why can't the Pioneers do that, too.
Would reversing the fan air flow towards the front grill area be a bad thing? But would probably do it when driving slower, so it would not work against the air coming into the grill. So would need a reversing switch.
But also, I was thinking of adding an additional fan in front of radiator blowing thru it, and helping the factory fan move hot air from radiator.

I am having high engine temperatures, as well as hot seat issues, even though driving in mild temperatures.
I ordered the seat insulation kit to help with seat heating.
Also ordered new thermostat, radiator cap, new radiator fluid, and waiting for it all to get here. I will burp the air out of the system when filling fluid.
I am also trying to remove front grill plastic, to get good access to the radiator for a thorough cleaning with cooling fin cleaner. Its not coming off very easy though.

Sorry this was long. Trying to ask lots of questions while I have my machine sidelined and taken apart.

Reactions: BigOL3
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The problem is that while moving, the air naturally moving through the radiator now counteracts the reversed fans' airflow, creating a dead zone of flow in the radiator, and overheating.

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New to Pioneer 1000s and UTVs. But from all I have read about the heat issues with the 1000-5, has it ever been discussed about reversing the factory radiator fan to blow out the front, rather than blowing into the dash and the firewall? I was always told to 'Think outside the box' when working, so this thought came to me. The radiator fan sucks the air thru the radiator, and it does not have a good, smooth path for the hot air to escape. The floorboard and dash are areas that get hot due to the radiator fan. I read all about the seat getting hot too, due to motor being directly underneath seat. Do you think any of the radiator fan air flow goes under floorboard, between floorboard and skid plate, eventually getting to engine area? Cars and trucks have the radiator fan blowing on engine, so why can't the Pioneers do that, too.
Would reversing the fan air flow towards the front grill area be a bad thing? But would probably do it when driving slower, so it would not work against the air coming into the grill. So would need a reversing switch.
But also, I was thinking of adding an additional fan in front of radiator blowing thru it, and helping the factory fan move hot air from radiator.

I am having high engine temperatures, as well as hot seat issues, even though driving in mild temperatures.
I ordered the seat insulation kit to help with seat heating.
Also ordered new thermostat, radiator cap, new radiator fluid, and waiting for it all to get here. I will burp the air out of the system when filling fluid.
I am also trying to remove front grill plastic, to get good access to the radiator for a thorough cleaning with cooling fin cleaner. Its not coming off very easy though.

Sorry this was long. Trying to ask lots of questions while I have my machine sidelined and taken apart.

how about one of the mechanics on here weighing in on this idea

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
how about a speed sensor to cut the fan off at a certain speed , or reverse it.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not entirely a dumb concept, not plausible for the Pioneer.
But large heavy diesel equipment fans from way back had, have the ability to turn, to push or pull depending on the season, dust and conditions.
I've turned many of them in summer, then back again in winter.
The Pioneer setup is just plain inefficient.
JMO.

Reactions: Redmoon
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I literally laughed out loud at this. I 100% agree reversing fan flow will never overcome ram air through the radiator. I've found the higher flow Spal radiator fan moves a lot more air and helps keep the machine cooler and the air under the dash cooler
Did you replace the OEM fan with Spal, or add Spal to blow from the front?

H

HondaTech

The only machine I've ever seen with speed control is the Goldwing, above 15mph the airflow through the radiators will negate the fans since they blow forward due to being mounted on the sides.

Controlling something like that would take some fiddling.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you replace the OEM fan with Spal, or add Spal to blow from the front?
Replaced the stock fan.

4 blade stocker vs Spal
IMG 20200329 154932

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I literally laughed out loud at this. I 100% agree reversing fan flow will never overcome ram air through the radiator. I've found the higher flow Spal radiator fan moves a lot more air and helps keep the machine cooler and the air under the dash cooler
So did I!

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
me too, helicopter technician that is.......Spal fan sounds like a great option

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems like I remember reading a post somewhere that said there was a way to change the temp when the fan kicked on from 215 to 195. Anybody know how to do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fan on/off temps can be adjusted using a PCM tuner, such as the Power Vision 3. The Dynojet tune for the HPK1 lowers the fan kick on temps. You can also customize the on/off temps with the PV3 using their free software. Or you can buy a fan override switch such as in the HondaSxS Store here.

I haven't overheated, yet. But I plan to install a shroud in the open spaces around the fan to make it more efficient.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fan on/off temps can be adjusted using a PCM tuner, such as the Power Vision 3. The Dynojet tune for the HPK1 lowers the fan kick on temps. You can also customize the on/off temps with the PV3 using their free software. Or you can buy a fan override switch such as in the HondaSxS Store here.

I haven't overheated, yet. But I plan to install a shroud in the open spaces around the fan to make it more efficient.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!