BOX1

Rallycross/shortcourse tires

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone ever tried car rally tires for racing? Alot of people like hoosiers but good luck finding them. I heard rally tires works just as well.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
If it was up to you what would you run? I know you have lots of experience already racing your honda. I might run all 4 corners with front talon rims.
Also another thing I forgot to mention, is that the maxxis rally tires are only $130

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is no correct answer. If you think the Maxxis tires will work, buy those. If they feel good keep running them. I've only ran Hoosiers and American Racer dirt track tires so I'm not versed in the rally/winter tires. I'm just basing my answer on what I see other people running on their cars at different tracks.

I'm not a fan of skinny wheels and would run at least a 7" wide wheel. I've had good luck running 4 rears.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is no correct answer. If you think the Maxxis tires will work, buy those. If they feel good keep running them. I've only ran Hoosiers and American Racer dirt track tires so I'm not versed in the rally/winter tires. I'm just basing my answer on what I see other people running on their cars at different tracks.

I'm not a fan of skinny wheels and would run at least a 7" wide wheel. I've had good luck running 4 rears.
I wouldn't mind at all running 4 rears, more contact is always better. Do you run spacers in the back or just keep the rear slight wider?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wouldn't mind at all running 4 rears, more contact is always better. Do you run spacers in the back or just keep the rear slight wider?
Front ends up being wider with 4 of the same offset wheels. I don't run rear spacers on my car ever. Being narrower in back helps with turn in. Everyone does that rear spacer crap for "looks". 🙄

Reactions: Brazula4life
B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R
Front ends up being wider with 4 of the same offset wheels. I don't run rear spacers on my car ever. Being narrower in back helps with turn in. Everyone does that rear spacer crap for "looks". 🙄
I dont care how it looks, I just want it to handle and work better. I'm sure that improves traction, front tires are very narrow

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Everyone does that rear spacer crap for "looks". 🙄
That is completely untrue. If you were a rock crawler or off camber rider, you would know why some folks benefit by running rear spacers. Just because something doesn't apply to you racers doesn't mean it isn't valuable to others.

I dont care how it looks, I just want it to handle and work better. I'm sure that improves traction, front tires are very narrow
For you intended purpose, do not run spacers. A wider front will cause a slight oversteer and handle much better on the track.

B

Brazula4life

Jan 19, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon R

Came across someone getting rid of brand new set of 15s wheels and tires from their talon r. My tires have seen better day, I will try running all 4 rears as you mentioned. I assume I should run the new set on the front and my used ones on the rear. Am I correct ? Also what tire pressure do you recommend?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've never ran the stock tires, only stock rear wheels with hoosiers on them and I stopped using the wheels because I was peeling rear beads at the pressures i wanted to run the Hoosiers at.

Beadlocks or Method Bead Grip wheels would be the way to go if you plan to slide it around with low air pressure.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!