Ran outta fuel and now it won’t stay running

T

tyemanchew

Dec 1, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My daughter ran my pioneer 1000 - 5 out of fuel and I’m thinking she put bad gas in but I’ve drained fuel put new fuel in with seafoam pulled and cleans plugs check all harnesses pulled and cleaned air filter and now it will turn over and fire but still fouls out any time you try to give it any gas any help will be greatly appreciated

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My daughter ran my pioneer 1000 - 5 out of fuel and I’m thinking she put bad gas in but I’ve drained fuel put new fuel in with seafoam pulled and cleans plugs check all harnesses pulled and cleaned air filter and now it will turn over and fire but still fouls out any time you try to give it any gas any help will be greatly appreciated
Probably still got bad gas in injectors and lines

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OP, we see nearly identical posts once a week. We offer our best advice but don't know if we were right or wrong.

Please give us some feedback so we'll know how to answer the next one.

Was it a fouled fuel filter, fouled injectors, bad fuel in tht tank, low fuel level, or . . . . . . . ?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
OP, we see nearly identical posts once a week. We offer our best advice but don't know if we were right or wrong.

Please give us some feedback so we'll know how to answer the next one.

Was it a fouled fuel filter, fouled injectors, bad fuel in tht tank, low fuel level, or . . . . . . . ?
Totally agree.

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was curious as to the fix here as well so I contacted @tyemanchew via the message option in tapatalk. This is what he sent me back as his answer to the remedy to his problem...

"I ended up having to completely drain and scrub tank as well as fuel pump/filter and carb."

And no, @Remington, He didn't send me any pictures with his reply.

EDIT:
I asked him If he was going to post his repairs for the fix but he said he couldn't find his original post. So, I asked him if I could post it for the guys/gals that were asking. He had no problem with that so that's why you see me posting rather than him.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
EDIT:
I asked him If he was going to post his repairs for the fix but he said he couldn't find his original post. So, I asked him if I could post it for the guys/gals that were asking. He had no problem with that so that's why you see me posting rather than him.
Why didn't you just send him the URL to his thread?

Reactions: Stateboy
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
emoji1.png
🤔

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I was curious as to the fix here as well so I contacted @tyemanchew via the message option in tapatalk. This is what he sent me back as his answer to the remedy to his problem...

"I ended up having to completely drain and scrub tank as well as fuel pump/filter and carb."

EDIT:
@Stateboy, appreciate the followup work.
Good to know it was just trash in the tank.
Its always been wise to never let your car, tractor, ATV, lawnmower to run dry for this very reason.

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why didn't you just send him the URL to his thread?

I wasn't sure how to grab it to send it to him but I was able to copy and paste it from your post. Thanks. He's got it now or at least I sent it to him.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think the worthless ethanol gasoline is more destructive and more difficult to get rid of than many believe. I believe it creates a gummy deposit that is not magically eliminated by simply refilling a tank with fresh fuel while a couple of gallons of bad fuel remaining.

According to this poster's own words provided by Stateboy above the gummy deposits had to be removed in order for his Honda to run correctly again.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I think the worthless ethanol gasoline is more destructive and more difficult to get rid of than many believe. I believe it creates a gummy deposit that is not magically eliminated by simply refilling a tank with fresh fuel while a couple of gallons of bad fuel remaining.
It's not just the ethanol that is destructive (breaking down rubber components), but the water that ethanol attracts is destructive as well, causing corrosion of various engine parts. Leaving fuel in a tank for a long time results in the fuel evaporating, which is what creates the gummy residue in the system.

Ethanol is hygroscopic. It attracts water (it does not absorb it - there is a difference). The combustion process can vaporize a certain amount of water, but over that, you're hosed. E10 can hold a little more than a half a pint of water per 20 gallons of fuel. If there is more than that, the mixture goes to the bottom of the tank.

According to this poster's own words provided by Stateboy above the gummy deposits had to be removed in order for his Honda to run correctly again.
He said he thinks his daughter put bad gas in it. That's a different problem versus gummy varnish. You're not going to gum up your fuel system because, one time, you ran the tank all the way down. But you most certainly will pull in any fuel/water mixture that has sank down towards the bottom. If it was varnish build up, I would have expected performance degradation issues to be occurring at a slow but even rate over a longer period of time.

Last edited:
G

grizzly660fan

Jul 17, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I get a new machine including my Pioneer 1000-5 I always bring some extra fuel and run the machine until it is completely out and stalls so I know better what actual range I have on my machine vs what the fuel gauge says. I have noticed that the gauge is very cautious and goes to empty with many miles remaining once the indicator warns me. I average about 160 miles per tank. Yes the mpg's vary by type of terrain, and how much 4x4 and 4x4 diff lock is used but its a general idea that I seek out.

I have never had an issue once I add fuel after stalling it because it is out of fuel so I am curious what really went wrong on this case.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!