P500 Rdrcr's Honda Pioneer 520 Build Thread.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I've recently purchased a new 2022 Honda Pioneer 520 and since I plan on adding some amazing modifications, I'd figured it wouldn't be a terrible idea to start a build thread.

The purpose of this thread is to document and share the modifications and ultimately the path that I take modifying my brilliant little P520.
I expect this thread to be somewhat entertaining or, at the very least, interesting.

Let's begin.

Here is my fantastic 2022 Pioneer 520 in all of it's original glory;

P5201

P5202

P5203

P5204

I began shopping for a UTV for use on my property but, to also use as a recreational vehicle to explore our local forests and recreational areas. I knew I didn't want a large machine. I didn't want the hassle of hooking up a trailer every time I wanted to transport the SxS off my property so I wanted a machine that could easily fit in the bed of my truck. This obviously limited my search to very small and narrow UTV options. Having had great luck with Honda vehicles and motorcycles in the past, the Honda Pioneer 500/520 immediately seemed like the best option. And, after further research and comparisons with alternative brands, the Pioneer 500/520 soon became my only option.

I like the fact that the P520 has a tilt-bed, will easily fit into the bed of my truck for transportation purposes and has the ability to maneuver on narrow trails where larger UTV's can't access. Realistically, it is absolutely perfect for my needs. Plus, overall it's "fairly" inexpensive (as long as you're not comparing it to mid-90's Japanese mini-truck imports, lol) and I feel you get a good value for your money. The downside, however, is availability and timing. I was told the wait would be at least 12 months. I placed my order in June, 2021.

After many, many months of waiting, I received an unexpected call from my local dealer in March, 2022. They informed me that they had a customer order cancellation and they had a brand new 2022 Gray Resin P520 available for delivery in April. My original order was for the Honda Phantom Camo. Since they had several other eager and impatiently waiting customers in my same very position to call, a decision had to be made immediately. I could have held off and continued to wait for my original order but, since it was peak riding season, I decided to buy this particular P520. Why not? I like Gray Resin! And, even though I purchased my Pioneer at full MSRP, I'm glad I did!

Mike

Last edited:
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
My first modifications were the factory Honda Hardtop, Honda Flip-up Hard-coat Windshield, Honda under hood storage, Honda rearview mirror and the Choog-box 2.0 glove box (for additional storage).

P5205

P5206

All I can say…the P520 is an absolute blast to drive and appears very well made and engineered. I’m very happy with the performance! My only complaints are the extremely short gearing and it is a bit noisy cruising at top speed. But, the P520 has good low end torque, does donuts in loose gravel/dirt and handles my hills with ease. It's a great little UTV!

Ironically, I envisioned my modifications and add-on's would end here....

Mike

Last edited:
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I assume most P500/520 owners won’t be taking their UTV’s on the street but, I do take mine on the road while heading over to neighbors homes, or jumping trails in my area and because of that, I added the TurnPro kit, custom license plate bracket and Seizmik rear view mirrors to my 520;

P5207

P5208

P5209

I'm pretty sure I'm done. There's no need for any additional modifications. I have everything covered.
Right!?! What else could I possibly want?

Mike

Last edited:
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Wait! I did forget a couple things....

My most recent modifications are the seatbelt bypass and the reverse lever modification. These two modifications were installed for convenience purposes.

While using the P520 on my property, I don't always have my seatbelt on since I'm constantly jumping in and out of the machine. Makes sense. Right? And, even if I'm only driving a short distance, most of the time, I still prefer going faster than 15 MPH. So, the Honda engineered seatbelt speed limiter is pretty inconvenient for me. I figured eliminating this feature is worth the risk since there isn't any other traffic, or crazy motorists on my property.

The reverse lever mod? Well, having to pull that lever to go into reverse, all the time, just irritates me. It had to go!
I'm much happier without it.

Sorry no pictures for these utterly necessary modifications.

Mike

Last edited:
R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I continue to discover new and necessary modifications for my P520. My newest addition is the Garmin Montana 700i GPS and mounting bracket.

61920525 7541 4598 88FD 9388BCE920BC

E5B08CAE 7691 43E9 82B7 FD03F460DEC4

The GPS mount bracket is designed for a motorcycle, however I made it work for this application. Had I viewed another members build thread before I started, I would have mounted my GPS differently. But, that’s okay. I’m pretty happy with the mount bracket location and the adjustability for the GPS. The mount is stable and handles the bumps and rough terrain very well. I have a good view of the GPS while driving and it’s easily accessible.

I know I said I was done with modifications but, there’s more to come!

Mike

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
On a side note, while driving my P520 (stock wheels/tires) at an indicated 40 mph, my GPS is registering 37 mph. I've read about the factory speedometer being a bit optimistic and my experience (in addition to the other examples) appears to confirm that theory.

Mike

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
In some of the areas I ride fallen trees are a fairly common occurrence. The trails are maintained but, I’m always concerned about a rare situation where a tree falls on the trail after I’ve passed through an area. If a situation like that were to occur, I want to have the ability to clear a section of the trail so I can make it through. The easiest and most logical option would be carrying one of my chainsaws but, I’d rather not have to take a chainsaw, especially when I leave the UTV in certain areas. So, I made the decision to bring a folding saw. The only question is; where and how do I secure it?

I decided to install some universal clamps from Axia Alloys and secure the folding saw underneath the Hard Top;

A4081ED3 09C3 41A0 A60D F0A18A59CD61

In these same areas they require all off-road vehicles to carry at least 5 gallons of water, or a fire extinguisher. Obviously, carrying 5 gallons of water in a small UTV isn’t convenient. A fire extinguisher is a much better option. Once again I turned to Axia Alloys for a solution. I chose their quick release setup and I’m extremely impressed by the quality and execution of their products. Here’s how it turned out;

262B64E0 BE74 4A4D 94A6 666BCB0E8C24

C4738BF3 88F6 422A 9409 48FE2C70BD78

My only concern with this absolutely awesome fire extinguisher setup, is one of its best features, the quick release. I doubt it’ll happen but, there’s nothing stopping some wayward jackass from pulling the handle and stealing the fire extinguisher and brackets. So, that’ll suck if it happens. Fingers crossed.

Moving on…

The vast majority of places I go are really remote and I typically don’t run across any other people when I’m on an adventure ride. Because of this, I’ve started cataloging items that I need to take with me just in case of an issue, or emergency. One of those items is fuel. I want to make sure I have extra fuel.

Occasionally I’ll park the P520 on, or near a trail and leave it to go hiking to another location and even though I rarely see anybody, I still like having valuables secured. So, in this case I went with RotoPax locking T-handle, Axia Alloys mount and RotoPax 2 gallon fuel tank. You can’t go wrong with this combination;

0960A48F 382B 484F 904A 3F686D70A7EE

425E6BDA 29FB 40FE BD6C 196502994DAC

876B6811 566D 4F64 85DB 137B46960940

All in all, I’m very pleased with these additions. I feel a lot more confident riding the trails having this equipment with me. I know the better prepared I am, the further and further I’ll go.

Plus, it’s worth mentioning again, the Axia Alloys clamps and mountings solutions are top-notch. I highly recommend them!

Mike

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In some of the areas I ride fallen trees are a fairly common occurrence. The trails are maintained but, I’m always concerned about a rare situation where a tree falls on the trail after I’ve passed through an area. If a situation like that were to occur, I want to have the ability to clear a section of the trail so I can make it through. The easiest and most logical option would be carrying one of my chainsaws but, I’d rather not have to take a chainsaw, especially when I leave the UTV in certain areas. So, I made the decision to bring a folding saw. The only question is; where and how do I secure it?

I decided to install some universal clamps from Axia Alloys and secure the folding saw underneath the Hard Top;

View attachment 353323

In these same areas they require all off-road vehicles to carry at least 5 gallons of water, or a fire extinguisher. Obviously, carrying 5 gallons of water in a small UTV isn’t convenient. A fire extinguisher is a much better option. Once again I turned to Axia Alloys for a solution. I chose their quick release setup and I’m extremely impressed by the quality and execution of their products. Here’s how it turned out;

View attachment 353325

View attachment 353326

My only concern with this absolutely awesome fire extinguisher setup, is one of its best features, the quick release. I doubt it’ll happen but, there’s nothing stopping some wayward jackass from pulling the handle and stealing the fire extinguisher and brackets. So, that’ll suck if it happens. Fingers crossed.

Moving on…

The vast majority of places I go are really remote and I typically don’t run across any other people when I’m on an adventure ride. Because of this, I’ve started cataloging items that I need to take with me just in case of an issue, or emergency. One of those items is fuel. I want to make sure I have extra fuel.

Occasionally I’ll park the P520 on, or near a trail and leave it to go hiking to another location and even though I rarely see anybody, I still like having valuables secured. So, in this case I went with RotoPax locking T-handle, Axia Alloys mount and RotoPax 2 gallon fuel tank. You can’t go wrong with this combination;

View attachment 353327

View attachment 353328

View attachment 353329

All in all, I’m very pleased with these additions. I feel a lot more confident riding the trails having this equipment with me. I know the better prepared I am, the further and further I’ll go.

Plus, it’s worth mentioning again, the Axia Alloys clamps and mountings solutions are top-notch. I highly recommend them!

Mike
The lock on the rotopax gums up pretty quick on the trail so just keep that in mind and clean/lube it regularly.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The lock on the rotopax gums up pretty quick on the trail so just keep that in mind and clean/lube it regularly.
I was going to point that out as well and was the reason I didn't get the locking one. Carrying some type of saw is always a smart move and a chainsaw is too big so I carry a cordless sawzall with a 10" blade and a couple batteries. Fire extinguisher is something I still haven't added to the arsenal. Well I actually did buy the Pro Armor one with the bag and everything but it's too bulky. I need to just spring for the Element one and be done with it.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
^^^^
Do I need to concerned about the RotoPax lock sticking to the point it won’t open? Would carrying some WD40 be enough insurance?

Mike

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
^^^^
Do I need to concerned about the RotoPax lock sticking to the point it won’t open? Would carrying some WD40 be enough insurance?

Mike
I would say no (aka..it will always open for ya), but that’s more a function of maintaining it IMO. Clean it and lube it regularly and you’ll be okay. I’ve used the same lock core for at least five years. More so something to be aware of. I would empty the rotopax into the truck or SxS at the end of each trip and then clean/lube the lock as part of my cleanup routine at home.

Honestly just don’t lock a jug of fuel on there for an entire summer and expect it to come off without a fight when you put it away for the season. It can get pretty gritty feeling in a dusty weekend trip. It definitely would be a better design as a standard shielded slotted style lock (like the SxS ignition) instead of the open round style.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I would say no (aka..it will always open for ya), but that’s more a function of maintaining it IMO. Clean it and lube it regularly and you’ll be okay. I’ve used the same lock core for at least five years. More so something to be aware of. I would empty the rotopax into the truck or SxS at the end of each trip and then clean/lube the lock as part of my cleanup routine at home.

Honestly just don’t lock a jug of fuel on there for an entire summer and expect it to come off without a fight when you put it away for the season. It can get pretty gritty feeling in a dusty weekend trip. It definitely would be a better design as a standard shielded slotted style lock (like the SxS ignition) instead of the open round style.

That's good to know. Thank you!

I'm pretty good about cleaning my P520 after each use (I'll add the RotoPax lock as part of my routine) and I plan on using the fuel container to 'top-off' the fuel tank after rides. I like keeping my fuels as fresh as possible.

Mike

LandofCheese

LandofCheese

Apr 11, 2022
Wisconsin
Not to sound like a weirdo but been following your build here and originally at TractorByNet. I enjoy how clean your mods are... I'm wondering about your rear registration plate... what exactly did you use to mount it there? I feel its the perfect location for something like that, and would like to do something similar.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Not to sound like a weirdo but been following your build here and originally at TractorByNet. I enjoy how clean your mods are... I'm wondering about your rear registration plate... what exactly did you use to mount it there? I feel its the perfect location for something like that, and would like to do something similar.

I used the license plate bracket/light assembly that came with the TurnPro Signal kit and then used some plate steel which was cut and bent to fit the space on the roll protection between the seats. There are two factory bolts in that area and I used those to secure it. I then painted the steel plate to match the roll protection for a factory appearance.
I'll add that my first attempt was made from thin aluminum plate but, it was too thin, couldn't support the weight sufficiently and wobbled too much (I had to zip-tie it to the roll protection, lol). The steel worked out much better!

I'll take some more detailed pics for you and post them up!

Mike

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Looks like a really nice build.

I'm assuming that you placed the rotopax behind you for better visibility? Otherwise the passenger side would make more sense since it is the side where the gas tank is on the P520.

I have the Element extinguisher mounted under the hard top. Less people can see it and its safe and easy to grab.

I worry about everything getting stripped off of the buggy every time its out of my sight. Start adding up what it cost for accessories and I have way more than what my base buggy cost. Plus, all of the time to not only put the parts on, but to also wait for the manufacturers to produce and ship.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
Looks like a really nice build.

I'm assuming that you placed the rotopax behind you for better visibility? Otherwise the passenger side would make more sense since it is the side where the gas tank is on the P520.

I have the Element extinguisher mounted under the hard top. Less people can see it and its safe and easy to grab.

I worry about everything getting stripped off of the buggy every time its out of my sight. Start adding up what it cost for accessories and I have way more than what my base buggy cost. Plus, all of the time to not only put the parts on, but to also wait for the manufacturers to produce and ship.

Thanks!

I'm glad we share the same fears, LOL!!!

My preference would be to have all these items out-of-sight and secured so I wouldn't have to be concerned with theft. But, I can't think of a convenient way to make that happen. The reality of the situation is that all of these items, including all the items in my under hood storage, can also be stolen quickly from a determined thief. I'm just going to have to live with that concern.

The folding saw and the fire extinguisher are the most expensive items I have in exposed locations. I placed the folding saw under the hard top because I feel that the folding saw would be the most likely item a thief would want to steal. Plus, the Axia Alloys straps securing the saw are easy to see, operate and remove so I wanted it in the most hidden location possible.

With the most hidden location already occupied, I preferred having the fire extinguisher on the passenger side because it gives the operator a bit more leverage for pulling the emergency release lever. Of course, the drawback here, is the emergency lever is now more visible and would allow a thief easier access and visibility. Sigh.

The fuel container was then placed on the driver side as a default.

Mike

Reactions: Robobrainiac
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
That makes sense. I’m actually thinking about mounting my extra fuel on the passenger side with a valve and a quick release hose that I can just drain straight into the gas tank quickly that way I don’t even have to pull the external fuel container off of the ROPS. Gravity will just flow the fuel into the pioneer gas tank for me. and if I do it right, I would have plenty of room to mount other things.

I had a bunch of stuff under the hood prior to my power steering getting added. I still feel like there is plenty of room to mount additional items under there that I don’t need very often. Shackles, snatch block, additional synthetic rope, and tree savers could go in that area.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!