BOX1

Rear Axle Failure

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone that has had the rear axles popping while turning took the boots off and figured out what is causing the noise? I had two replaced under warranty and they are popping again with 400 miles on the second set. Instead of taking it back for warranty, I ordered some aftermarket ones. I have read where some people just keep driving with the popping, but I can't stand to hear it. Sounds like crap.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had the same issue... The CV's looked fine on my and it still makes the noise. I replaced them with axles from Turner Cycles and seems to have fixed the issue.

Reactions: Biteme and Isaiah
spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah when warranty replaced mine they were good for another 400 miles. Did you actually disassemble them?

Reactions: Biteme
Buckwheat

Buckwheat

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah when warranty replaced mine they were good for another 400 miles. Did you actually disassemble them?

Yes, I took them apart and they looked find. Just seemed a little "loose".

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Talon R will do the popping on a pavement turn but its not consistent and difficult to reproduce. I'm at 15,000 miles so I just check the axles for play. It could be making the noise as the axle winds up then the tire slips causing the popping noise.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 30 inch tires may be causing it so I'm testing with the stock 28's.

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Something is changing within the axles, otherwise replacing them should not make the noise go away. I am running 32" Carnivores and the popping sound also happens on hard pack dirt. Once I get the aftermarket axles installed, I will do a complete axle teardown to hopefully determine the root cause.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Something is changing within the axles, otherwise replacing them should not make the noise go away. I am running 32" Carnivores and the popping sound also happens on hard pack dirt. Once I get the aftermarket axles installed, I will do a complete axle teardown to hopefully determine the root cause.
Hmmmm.....So if you discover something in the tear down its more a parts supplier problem than assembly plant issue????

Reactions: Isaiah
spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
All I know right now is that I have had two sets of rear axles fail at less than 900 miles on the machine. I don't have aggressive tires, that usually damage axles. I have saw where multiple people have got or had the same problem with axles. Some choose to just live with the noise, not me! Lol Hopefully figure out what Honda has chose not to at this point.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wonder if it would’ve helped the Talon to have turf mode?

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Lol, had turf mode in my Ranger, made a nice size hole in the transmission when it gave up. Went back with a spool locker from a RZR. Never had the axles popping on the locked Popo's when turning. It may just be a OEM Honda axle thing?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Right rear wheel bearing has lots of play so I'm driving my 2020 Talon now. Parts are on order, I have 15,000 miles on it. Jack it up and check for wheel bearing play.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have 2,000 miles on my 2019 Talon R and most of it with 32 inch Terrabites but so far have not experienced any axle noises. Hope it stays that way.

G

Greeny

Sep 4, 2019
Colville Wa 99114
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the noise my dealer replaced the wheel bearing said that should fix it but it did not. Good luck please PM me if you find it.

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
Its the axles. I had mine replaced and that stopped the popping. 400 miles later and they are popping again.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!