P500 Rear basket

M

Moss

Feb 16, 2016
MI
Looking for a rear basket for my 500..the tray Honda makes is nice but I would like something that has a lip on the back

Reactions: Razorback
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something like this? Strongmade rear basket...

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Love the strongmade basket.

I too, love the Strongmade - EXCEPT that they didn't shape the rear portion to conform with the rack. I'd buy one in a minute if they'd finish the shape up. The Strongmade box doesn't really look like it was built for the P-500, but rather a knock-off of a box built for some other UTVs.

Not having a box on back is a major drawback for what I want to use the P-500 for, and that is for working around the place, which involves hauling tools, chainsaw, etc. Not having a decent looking box will not lead me to trading my new P-500, but it may lead me to building my own box.

If anyone has a lead on a correctly shaped box for the P-500, I'd sure like to know about it. Last choice for me would be to buy the plastic cargo tray Honda sells, but again, that would be the last choice.

Reactions: grayhound
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
I too, love the Strongmade - EXCEPT that they didn't shape the rear portion to conform with the rack. I'd buy one in a minute if they'd finish the shape up. The Strongmade box doesn't really look like it was built for the P-500, but rather a knock-off of a box built for some other UTVs.

Not having a box on back is a major drawback for what I want to use the P-500 for, and that is for working around the place, which involves hauling tools, chainsaw, etc. Not having a decent looking box will not lead me to trading my new P-500, but it may lead me to building my own box.

If anyone has a lead on a correctly shaped box for the P-500, I'd sure like to know about it. Last choice for me would be to buy the plastic cargo tray Honda sells, but again, that would be the last choice.

Interestingly, I contacted Mike Crochet @ Strongmade asking about the possibility of building their Model 574, and perhaps others, to fit the contour of the Pioneer 500. It looks like a simple modification in the manufacturing design, but making it actually fit like it belongs there is important to me, and I'm sure to others.

If Strongmade decides that they can or will make a cargo tray like I suggested, I'll sure post it. I did tell Mike that IF they do, put me down for the first one!

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually am the one who contacted strongmade about the baskets they make now. Real nice folks. I sent them my design, which was taller in front than in back. But they said to make it cost effective they had to make it like it is now. But they made one for the p500 that is better than anything else on the market so I'm happy with them. I had a thread on it somewhere.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My thread was on the other p500 forum. Hondapioneerforum. Search strongmade group buy. I'm about ready for a new better bed. But I'm not spending $700 on the strongmade bed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gem99Ultra
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Interestingly, I contacted Mike Crochet @ Strongmade asking about the possibility of building their Model 574, and perhaps others, to fit the contour of the Pioneer 500. It looks like a simple modification in the manufacturing design, but making it actually fit like it belongs there is important to me, and I'm sure to others.

If Strongmade decides that they can or will make a cargo tray like I suggested, I'll sure post it. I did tell Mike that IF they do, put me down for the first one!
I agree with that, it would give more storage and look better! Making your own is the best though. IMO.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
My thread was on the other p500 forum. link-disallowed. Search strongmade group buy. I'm about ready for a new better bed. But I'm not spending $700 on the strongmade bed.

I sure agree, I'm not in for a $700 cargo box either. The box I'm looking at, the Model 574, is $230. The box from eTrailer is also nice, and of course, much cheaper.

Maybe I'm too particular, but what I 'want' is a cargo box that follows the outline of the P500 rear rack, not one that's squared off and extends out back. On the other hand, what I want and what's available (at a decent price) seem to be two different things.

William, I am glad that you ALSO contacted Strongmade. I certainly could live with one with the taller front panel. That part doesn't bother me one way or the other. I do believe they could make a box contoured same as the Pioneer 500 rear rack. Squared off and extended beyond the rack does bother me.

I've already built a box out of plywood covered with 3/4" rubber horse mat with cad-plated tie-downs, chrome acorn nuts, recessed bolts, etc. It is contoured to the Pioneer 500 rear rack. If someone needs a template, I certainly have one. BUT - I'm also not satisfied with the wooden version and will be buying a metal one from someone, be it Strongmade or a custom welding shop, or somewhere. Not wanting to sound hard-nosed, but simply said, I want what I want and 'close' isn't good enough. Aren't we all like that on some things :)

With that same rack design being installed for 3 years already, I think it would be a good seller. I'll wait a reasonable amount of time and see if Strongmade also thinks a correct formed box is a worthwhile endeavor. If not, I'll go on my way...

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sure agree, I'm not in for a $700 cargo box either. The box I'm looking at, the Model 574, is $230. The box from eTrailer is also nice, and of course, much cheaper.

Maybe I'm too particular, but what I 'want' is a cargo box that follows the outline of the P500 rear rack, not one that's squared off and extends out back. On the other hand, what I want and what's available (at a decent price) seem to be two different things.

William, I am glad that you ALSO contacted Strongmade. I certainly could live with one with the taller front panel. That part doesn't bother me one way or the other. I do believe they could make a box contoured same as the Pioneer 500 rear rack. Squared off and extended beyond the rack does bother me.

I've already built a box out of plywood covered with 3/4" rubber horse mat with cad-plated tie-downs, chrome acorn nuts, recessed bolts, etc. It is contoured to the Pioneer 500 rear rack. If someone needs a template, I certainly have one. BUT - I'm also not satisfied with the wooden version and will be buying a metal one from someone, be it Strongmade or a custom welding shop, or somewhere. Not wanting to sound hard-nosed, but simply said, I want what I want and 'close' isn't good enough. Aren't we all like that on some things :)

With that same rack design being installed for 3 years already, I think it would be a good seller. I'll wait a reasonable amount of time and see if Strongmade also thinks a correct formed box is a worthwhile endeavor. If not, I'll go on my way...

The model 574 is what got built as a result of me contacting them. I tried to get them to shape it like the factory rack and make it higher in the back. But they didn't think it was a good idea. I like it and will keep it unless something better comes along. I really want this one but its 500 bucks.

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
View attachment 11258 Built my own, it wasn't too tough and allows you to build in any specs you want. Came out looking pretty clean... View attachment 11259 View attachment 11260 View attachment 11261
View attachment 11258 Built my own, it wasn't too tough and allows you to build in any specs you want. Came out looking pretty clean... View attachment 11259 View attachment 11260 View attachment 11261

Fantastic job Slim! That's exactly what I have in mind. Any info on materials, clamps, etc. would be appreciated; that'd save me a few trips to the hardware store, which is 25 miles each way for me.

PS And welcome to the P-500 SxS Club. You've already become a valued member :)

Slim

Slim

Mar 5, 2016
Nor-Cal
Fantastic job Slim! That's exactly what I have in mind. Any info on materials, clamps, etc. would be appreciated; that'd save me a few trips to the hardware store, which is 25 miles each way for me.

PS And welcome to the P-500 SxS Club. You've already become a valued member :)

Thanks, Here's the process I did
I measured the rack demensions for the bottom outline, and top outline, than factored on 7" post's for the corners.
Then went to local steel shop, picked up 1" square tubing, and 1 sheet of expanded metal(4'x8').
I cut the square tubing into lengths that I needed, then tacked them together using a mig welder.
Once I got the bottom frame tacked, I welded the bottom frame, I then welded the post's and top frame together.
Then I measured and outlined on the expanded metal for the bottom and sides
I took a hand grinder with a cutting wheel and cut out the expanded metal
Then I tacked the expanded metal to the frame on the bottom and sides
Next I grinded all the welds, and then painted it black
Last I just went and got some u clamps from hardware store to bolt the basket to the rack.
I am very happy with it, before I built this I was looking all over for one and couldn't find anything that I liked and looked clean.
I also built one out of wood, and It worked but it made the pioneer look like a golf cart and I hated it...
Cost of materials for the metal rack was about $120.00
Wood box was about $75.00
Figured I'd include pics of the wood one too

Hope this helps...

Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Thanks, Here's the process I did
I measured the rack demensions for the bottom outline, and top outline, than factored on 7" post's for the corners.
Then went to local steel shop, picked up 1" square tubing, and 1 sheet of expanded metal(4'x8').
I cut the square tubing into lengths that I needed, then tacked them together using a mig welder.
Once I got the bottom frame tacked, I welded the bottom frame, I then welded the post's and top frame together.
Then I measured and outlined on the expanded metal for the bottom and sides
I took a hand grinder with a cutting wheel and cut out the expanded metal
Then I tacked the expanded metal to the frame on the bottom and sides
Next I grinded all the welds, and then painted it black
Last I just went and got some u clamps from hardware store to bolt the basket to the rack.
I am very happy with it, before I built this I was looking all over for one and couldn't find anything that I liked and looked clean.
I also built one out of wood, and It worked but it made the pioneer look like a golf cart and I hated it...
Cost of materials for the metal rack was about $120.00
Wood box was about $75.00
Figured I'd include pics of the wood one too

View attachment 11293
View attachment 11295
Hope this helps...

Thanks for the info Slim. I already have a template and have built a wooden base with rubber horse matt covering. That'll serve well for laying out the bottom frame. I would really like to have the corners rounded, but a square tubing bender cost may be out of the question. The $120 total cost is very good - much better than buying something already built. Your box looks great though. Thanks for the write-up.

S

Sledge

Torn between the Strongmade (post#2), and the etrailer (post#7).

Both welded steel, powdercoated, about the same weight, indicating similarly strong, assuming equal craftsmanship.

Strongmade is $230, etrailer is $95.

I'm a big believer in "it only hurts once when you buy the best", but is the Strongmade basket better?

If so, in what way?

(Dang, I miss the days when my best friend was an oilfield welder and master fabricator. His idea of a great Sunday afternoon would have been me buying the beer and keeping him company while he built the perfect rack out of shop scraps. :)

Joe

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Both welded steel, powdercoated, about the same weight, indicating similarly strong, assuming equal craftsmanship.

I'm a big believer in "it only hurts once when you buy the best", but is the Strongmade basket better?

If so, in what way?

(Dang, I miss the days when my best friend was an oilfield welder and master fabricator. His idea of a great Sunday afternoon would have been me buying the beer and keeping him company while he built the perfect rack out of shop scraps. :)

Joe
Same story here, if I knew how to weld then I would build like post #12. So I went with Curt and can't be happier. Check out my build post to see how it fits

Reactions: Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

If so, in what way?

Joe
Bring the beer and meet me at my lake house this summer sometime and we'll weld you up one!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!