Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm starting to design and build a rear cage for my p2. Originally I wanted to build a full new cage but due to time constraints I have decided to go this route....for now. My goals with this cage are to give me a place to mount a spare tire, jack, and other trail gear. Plus it should add some safety in a "head over heels" style rollover. I will keep the design so that it is removable so I can take it off when using the pioneer for work.

Anyway... Today I started mocking up the tube. I've never built a cage so I took some scrap conduit pipe to help plan out my bends and such. For the actual cage I'm using 1.75" OD, 1/8" wall tube. Is there anything prettier than raw metal waiting to take form?

First a couple "before pictures-

I attached my roll bar clamps to the cross tube behind where your head would be. These clamps can be bought at superatv, but I made mine to save a little money.

I'm not sure EXACTLY where these will go on the bar, but they ought to be close about here. Now I can start bending conduit and see what I like before I bend the actual tube. I'm using a run of the mill, harbor freight bender. Nothing fancy but it works ok.

When measuring where your bends will be on the tube, mark the tube and also mark the center of the die. This will ensure consistency when you need to make two identical pieces.

I also count how many times I pump the jack on the bender. This also helps with consistancy.

At this point I'm painfully aware of how messy my shop is haha! Oh well. So after some trial and error I think I've got a good plan for the real cage.

I think this is roughly what it will look like, with a few cross pieces of course. What I can't decide on is the orientation of the down tubes, so speak up please and tell me should they-

Dovetail toward the center?

Come straight back, right inside the tail light?

Or stay outside?

That's all for now, I'll update as I go. Let me know which route you think I should take with the down tubes!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This is really cool and I would love to see all the pics. I may have a problem with Internet service on my end but most pics are not showing up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry, false alarm. I went to the website and it works. Must be a Tapatalk problem.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
looking good so far @Tflynn , I like the dovetailed look, but your not going to be able to use the dump bed unless you stay on the outside.....watching........

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks guys. I'm kind of leaning toward the dovetail look as well. It will tie in with the P4 rear cage mounts the best out of the three options. Downside is can't open tailgate or dump bed but I never do either unless working around the ranch in which case I'll have the cage removed. But I'm still not sure....

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm liking the "stay outside" option.

Reasons are:
Tailgate is still useable
It can offer a little protection for that tail light.

Reactions: Hondasxs and Tflynn
TimmyBoy84

TimmyBoy84

Aug 5, 2015
Southern California
Inside would look sweet, but outside will be more practical and save trouble from removing to use the bed like everyone's saying, but I think depending on where and how you place/style your cross members could give the outside placement a killer look. I posted a pic of my buddies rhino who just put a rear cage for a spare tire, his design may work to and allow you to use the bed without having to remove. I think its on the "post your pic of your ride today" thread. instead of connecting to the lower rear frame he wrapped in around the bed.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I like the step by step info. Keep em coming as you progress

Reactions: Tflynn
C

Chooglin

@Tflynn just a tip, to make two identical bends (same angle) put a strait edge on the top two rails of the bender and measure down to the top of the tube !

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Tflynn just a tip, to make two identical bends (same angle) put a strait edge on the top two rails of the bender and measure down to the top of the tube !
That's a good idea. Beats my method of "count, then compare"! I think I'm going to use that

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I vote for outside only cause that's the route I took, reasons tailgate still usable, plus I have a problem backing into things lol.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
another easy way to match bends is called ram travel measure the distance the " ram travels" dur lol then say the first bend it moves 3" now every time you want that same bend keep going till you measure 3" on the ram and ect for every bend you want to match ;) ( its kinda what i do for a living )

d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I'll upload a few more in the morning, Still not done lol

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
another easy way to match bends is called ram travel measure the distance the " ram travels" dur lol then say the first bend it moves 3" now every time you want that same bend keep going till you measure 3" on the ram and ect for every bend you want to match ;) ( its kinda what i do for a living )
Thank you! That's smart

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok I got a little more work done today. First on the to do list was to bend the tube. I had decided to run the tube outside the light but when I got down to the 90 degree bend that would tuck the tube under the bed and back to the frame, I came to the realization that my bender will not bend this tube 90 degrees, it just crinkles then creases it. So...instead of getting a new bender, I modified the design and the pretty girl ended up winning prom queen after all (meaning the more attractive design was selected haha!)

First, the down tube-

I liked this design so I ran with it and bent out the other tube exactly the same (thanks for the tips!).

Next I had to build the lower mounts. First thing for these was cutting two 5" pieces of 2.5"x3/8" flatbar and marking where the holes will go

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!