BOX1

P1000 Rear Differential Adjustment

I

ImHowl

May 12, 2019
Connecticut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen a lot of posts about Pioneer's making a clanking/banging sound when shifting from 2WD to Turf Mode. I have made a video detailing how to fix this and what causes that. Please like and subscribe and I hope this helps some of you!

La9481

La9481

May 24, 2020
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have seen a lot of posts about Pioneer's making a clanking/banging sound when shifting from 2WD to Turf Mode. I have made a video detailing how to fix this and what causes that. Please like and subscribe and I hope this helps some of you!
Wow that was one of the best videos I’ve seen!!!! I’m new on the website but great. One question off subject but does that lift get in the way of oil changes? Sorry if thats a dumb question but im new with the sxs stuff I’ve had 4wheelers for ever but just got my sxs in January. Been having this issue with mine so happy I can fix it now. U saved me a bunch of cash 🤘

Reactions: Lady01 and Isaiah
I

ImHowl

May 12, 2019
Connecticut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow that was one of the best videos I’ve seen!!!! I’m new on the website but great. One question off subject but does that lift get in the way of oil changes? Sorry if thats a dumb question but im new with the sxs stuff I’ve had 4wheelers for ever but just got my sxs in January. Been having this issue with mine so happy I can fix it now. U saved me a bunch of cash 🤘

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, this lift does get in the way of oil changes and such. I made some wooden stands, car guys call them wheel cribs. I use the tusk lift to get it off the ground, the put the blocks under. Gives me PLENTY of room to get under the thing!
A3EF04F5 2895 46C3 B1BB FA25DDB0EDD0 1 105 c
F9CBF93C F686 4B8B BBDD E9433EC878BD 1 105 c

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This method helped me get the cables properly adjusted. The key is having both rear wheels off the ground so you can see turf mode engaging and disengaging.

The other tip I read elsewhere is that your gears should engage / disengage within 1/2 turn of the tire. If it takes more that a half turn, fine tune it.

Reactions: Lady01
SwampFox112

SwampFox112

Nov 19, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks.. good info

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just tackled this issue last night, and this video was a huge help. All of the other advice I have read was good, to do what Honda says and get the adjusters within the left and right lines, then the center line/cable nut thing. I did that first and it looked perfect.

I then tested it in the driveway going forward and back, switching the lever from turf to 2wd. I could feel the difference in the wheels but the display did nothing.

I then referred to this video above. I used my cycle/atv lift to get both the rear wheels off the ground and did the adjustments until the display and rear diff worked well together.

I was a bit confused as to which cable adjuster I needed to spin. I began guessing, "why am I spinning the left one?" "why am I turning the center one, and how far?" Finally the light came on and off as it should and the wheel seemed to lock and release as it should.

I'm a perfectionist and this seems like something that will drive me nuts as it is "close enough" but I don't know it's exactly where it should be adjusted. But it works.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
S

settler

Dec 6, 2020
Houston tx
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the vidio, but my 1000-5 makes the banging/clanking noise in the turf mode all the time. So does that mean I need to make adjustments?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the vidio, but my 1000-5 makes the banging/clanking noise in the turf mode all the time. So does that mean I need to make adjustments?
Most likely. It sounds like it's not engaging and disengaging cleanly.

Adjust it asap, using the method in the video.

Reactions: Lady01 and ch33br0h
Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Question for anyone who really knows these things, which is worse...to have the rear diff cable too tight or too loose? When owners are talking about hearing a clunk, is that because it needs to be tightened or loosened? I'm talking about the center cable in the box.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
As someone wrote above, "that's the best video I've seen online."

I'm old and have hearing loss so most online videos are useless to me because the narrator often uses poor diction and speaks in what I call "double-speak" or twice the normal rate of speech. Your speech is clear, precise, and a a normal rate. Well done.

Forgive me for nitpicking but your video would be perfect if you used correct nomenclature. You removed four bolts not "sockets" and it's cables not ""wires" you adjusted.

You also pointed out each component as you spoke of it which was very helpful.

Your video is still the best I've viewed.

I'm wondering if you live in southern CT and have a Navy connection?

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That’s a GREAT Video! It not only tells how to adjust the rear differential locking system, but more importantly WHY! For me it’s much better to understand why, I can usually figure out how, if I know why….. I’m not sure if that will help with my i4WD mode or not, but I’m going to make sure this part is right, before I go off on some tangent……. Very good information!

Reactions: Lady01 and bumperm
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What TexJackKin said - thanks for the video! Just made the adjustment on my '21 1K5 SE this evening. It had been taking its sweet time to go between 2WD and Turf, according to both dif-lock and indicator. Now it's much better, though with only 6 miles on it, it probably needs a bit more run time to loosen up (when unlocked, the opposite wheel wants to turn some tho' it's clearly unlocked and the display tracks much sooner.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What TexJackKin said - thanks for the video! Just made the adjustment on my '21 1K5 SE this evening. It had been taking its sweet time to go between 2WD and Turf, according to both dif-lock and indicator. Now it's much better, though with only 6 miles on it, it probably needs a bit more run time to loosen up (when unlocked, the opposite wheel wants to turn some tho' it's clearly unlocked and the display tracks much sooner.
I adjusted mine when it had 1 mile on it, now at over 400 it’s still good to go.

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
This is a great thread thanks guys. I have had a delay in shifting into turf mode as well. New machine. I would have thought the dealership would have checked and adjusted as needed as part of getting the machine ready but I guess not.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fyi, 22 is adjusted differently. We don't have the procedure or a video posted yet.

Reactions: lee and HBarlow
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
His video is spot on.
With the tires off the ground, and you turning one tire, it should engage/disengage quickly.
BUT
When you are driving, both wheels turn at the same speed and it will NOT necessarily engage/disengage as fast. The book tells you what to do. Here is an easy explanation.
Drive mode changig

Yes, you experienced Honda owners know, this is for the new guys.
Have a good day

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!