Rear lights on the reverse switch

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of finishing up some reverse/rear work lights and was just wondering if any one knew how many amps the reverse switch can handle. I am putting 2 10w led flood lights on the rear of the rops. And then 4 10w eagle eye button lights on the rear emp bumper. I tried to measure there draw with an amp meter. And have a rough and dirty guess of 5.7 amps for all 6. Do you think that a relay should be used to try to make the switch last longer?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ridem32
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you talking about the backup alarm plug?
It is on the same 15a accessory fuse as the cig lighter.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I was. And I assumed the keyed power was on the 15 amp acc. Fuse but I'm using the reverse switch to ground the light and was just concerned about the longevity of the switch itself. But I'm fine they work. I guess only time will tell

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I was. And I assumed the keyed power was on the 15 amp acc. Fuse but I'm using the reverse switch to ground the light and was just concerned about the longevity of the switch itself. But I'm fine they work. I guess only time will tell
Ya, dont know. Honda has at least thinks it will handle 15 amps.
The ground switch is a solid ground based off where the gear position switch is at. Each position sends a ground to the computer. This wire is just a tap into the R gear position wire from factory.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan to wire a single LED cube for a backup light off this wire as well. Let me know how it works for you.

J

JTW

I'm about to do the same.. I ran a dedicated 10 gage hot and ground to a fuse block under the hood I'll jump off the accessory pigtails for the switch and add a relay just for ease. I think the switch would probably be fine... and realistically adding a relay is just one more thing to go bad but oh well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm about to do the same.. I ran a dedicated 10 gage hot and ground to a fuse block under the hood I'll jump off the accessory pigtails for the switch and add a relay just for ease. I think the switch would probably be fine... and realistically adding a relay is just one more thing to go bad but oh well.
Not positive if the 500 uses ground trigger for backup alarm but if it does like the 1000 then follow if interested.
Hook up your relay with this negative as the ground. Use the positive from that plug (accessory wire) to trigger on relay. Power into relay comes from battery positive. Relay out goes to backup lights. Now t-off a wire from a switch on dash to the out wire going to the lights. Ground your backups and done.
You've now reversed polarity of the factory reverse switch to positive making it possible to power it from dash switch as well as reverse switch and your pulling no power from the factory unit.
since you were running wires back anyway you can kill two birds at once. Just run one from battery and one from switch.

Reactions: GlockMeister
J

JTW

I originally thought of wiring them on reverse but after much consideration I'm not sure I want them on EVERY time I back up. I mean what if you're someplace you shouldn't be and have to back up? It's like a game warden beacon!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I originally thought of wiring them on reverse but after much consideration I'm not sure I want them on EVERY time I back up. I mean what if you're someplace you shouldn't be and have to back up? It's like a game warden beacon!!

You renegade! Ok fair enough I definitely get that and I'm certain areas! It sounded like you were going by way of reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I may still do it if I find using the switch inconvenient
You could do that on a three position switch. There could be off/on/reverse.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Really? It would still only be two wires back. Just saying. Just trying to help buddy.

J

JTW

I don't think you realize how long I figured on this damn thing tonight. I ditched the relay and just went strait (20a) rocker switch for the two 18watt work/backup leds.. it was quite the challenge discovering I could pigtail from the horn accessory harness I bought to the switch for my Keyed switch lights and jump off my fuse block for the main power to the lights. My stereo is wired hot and has its own switch for shut off under the hood if it's going to sit. Only thing left is the light bar IF it will even fit.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I do understand wiring sucks. You have been busy and in the middle of things so I'm sorry to jump in the middle of that! Concentration is important so I'll let you be. You're close so then have a beer take a break and get back on it.

J

JTW

I do understand wiring sucks. You have been busy and in the middle of things so I'm sorry to jump in the middle of that! Concentration is important so I'll let you be. You're close so then have a beer take a break and get back on it.
Nawwwa.. I'm done for the night. I had to call it quits.. long day and I was making stupid mistakes so I stopped. Last night I went to rotate the winch contact points and pulled the end of the winch off.. I worked for two hours trying to figure out how to get the damn brushes back on the commutator!! I should have quit before then but I wanted to push thru and I made stupid mistakes because of it!

J

JTW

I don't mind the wiring it's just figuring it all out and how I want to do it as I go..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nawwwa.. I'm done for the night. I had to call it quits.. long day and I was making stupid mistakes so I stopped. Last night I went to rotate the winch contact points and pulled the end of the winch off.. I worked for two hours trying to figure out how to get the damn brushes back on the commutator!! I should have quit before then but I wanted to push thru and I made stupid mistakes because of it!

Yep had many of them. If the beer doesn't help it's time for bed

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I couldn't believe superwinch advertises it as a clockable winch but didn't have ANY directions for how to do it.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could you just run a switched hot ( from a relay) to the POS wire on light and then wire the ground ( tap in ) to the reverse trigger ground? When the switch is on then the reverse lights would work in REV and when it's off they won't. Does that make sense?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!