Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes you could. Obviously it would only be on in reverse and with the relay powered up. Had to think about that one but yes. You would only be pulling power from the battery the relay was connected to.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya I admit it:) Mine is wired as a two way on/off and most others are using both wires from the plug and using factory pos/neg to power up. Good call with your thinking! I still wouldn't run a ton of amps because you're going through the negative trans switch but plenty of power for backups. That'll eliminate going through the factory accessory fuse and allow power to be drawn from your choosing. Nice one!!

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good deal - I think my little LED cube is only 20W which should draw less than 2 amps. My plan is to use the net brackets on the rear ROPS and have one on REV trigger and one switched as a work light. We'll see how it goes

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I find it really handy to be able to turn on the rear lights to use as work lights.
I used a relay to reverse polarity of the ground switch - like cummins explained and used a three way switch.
Reverse light / Stealth (@JTW) / Work light.

Maybe a winter project for you guys?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

I find it really handy to be able to turn on the rear lights to use as work lights.
I used a relay to reverse polarity of the ground switch - like cummins explained and used a three way switch.
Reverse light / Stealth (@JTW) / Work light.

Maybe a winter project for you guys?
I just finished them this morning.. I wired them on a hot switch for anytime use.

IMG 0902 IMG 0900

J

Jshell3

The ground switch is a solid ground based off where the gear position switch is at. Each position sends a ground to the computer. This wire is just a tap into the R gear position wire from factory.
Not positive if the 500 uses ground trigger for backup alarm but if it does like the 1000
I originally thought of wiring them on reverse but after much consideration I'm not sure I want them on EVERY time I back up. I mean what if you're someplace you shouldn't be and have to back up? It's like a game warden beacon!!

The idea I've got for reverse lights is to get them to turn on automatically when the gear selects to "R" AND my headlights are burning...

Which means using the positive from the taillight (not brake light) and matching it to the ground in the gear selector plug... Its a GREY wire... But I can not find the plug to tap into. Any one know where this grey wire hides?

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the process of finishing up some reverse/rear work lights and was just wondering if any one knew how many amps the reverse switch can handle. I am putting 2 10w led flood lights on the rear of the rops. And then 4 10w eagle eye button lights on the rear emp bumper. I tried to measure there draw with an amp meter. And have a rough and dirty guess of 5.7 amps for all 6. Do you think that a relay should be used to try to make the switch last longer?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
5.7amp sounds about right... it is typically Watts/Voltage. So 60W on a 12v system should be around 5amp.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I originally thought of wiring them on reverse but after much consideration I'm not sure I want them on EVERY time I back up. I mean what if you're someplace you shouldn't be and have to back up? It's like a game warden beacon!!

You could still use a switch, have auto on, and a stealth mode with a normal on-off switch.

Just wire 86 to your illumination wire instead of jumpering it with 30. 85 and 86 are your triggers. You would need your lights on and reverse for them to power up the lights.

Reactions: JTW
A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
That wouldn't come at all without being in reverse. You couldn't use dash switch instead of reverse. However it would allow you to turn off the light in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would need to wire up a dash switch like normal. Wire up this relay of the neg trigger from the reverse and post 87 into the positive between the dash switch and lights. I think it's about the same way you explained it, except you need the lights on AND reverse to trigger the relay.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You would need to wire up a dash switch like normal. Wire up this relay of the neg trigger from the reverse and post 87 into the positive between the dash switch and lights. I think it's about the same way you explained it, except you need the lights on AND reverse to trigger the relay.

I posted and got to think about it again but no you'd still couldn't turn it on by switch only. You'd have to tie in after I believe

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
I posted and got to think about it again but no you'd still couldn't turn it on by switch only. You'd have to tie in after I believe

I didn't do the stealth mode with mine, but all it would take is cutting the jumper between 30 and 86, then power 86 off the illumination circuit. Dash switch is powered off PDM and then hooked to my pods. I might have miss read the way you would wire up the relay. I ran the ground for the back up alarm to the dash and post 85. Post 30 gets fused 12v. 87 ties into my positive between the switch and pods.

Think about it. Dash switch will work as normal. The relay will only close the you have positive trigger from the illumination circuit AND beg tigger from reverse. Post 87 12v out would tie in to the pods after the switch.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
yes that's really close to the same setup because youd still have 87 tied off. That would work rather then three way switch it would require headlights on for reverse lights so if you turned headlights off you'd kill reverse. I've gotcha. I wasn't thinking that way because we don't run headlights very often. That's a great way to go

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly for us it's waisted power with the 52 inch and the 168w bumper lights on because they become useless. We do run them sometimes but not often enough to trigger something on.
We're never concerned about stealth mode ourselves so both yours and ours are the same. Reverse lights, or switched on.
But that's a good way to go on switching for reverse for many and a solution for @JTW. Thank you.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
We only run the light bars when we need them, but headlights day or night. Just a quick glance in the mirror to see if the guy behind is still there or if it's time to stop and have a beverage.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We only run the light bars when we need them, but headlights day or night. Just a quick glance in the mirror to see if the guy behind is still there or if it's time to stop and have a beverage.

That's what radio communication is for lol. I think at night the big bar is about 90%. I agree though on headlights during the day

Reactions: GlockMeister
J

JTW

Honestly for us it's waisted power with the 52 inch and the 168w bumper lights on because they become useless. We do run them sometimes but not often enough to trigger something on.
We're never concerned about stealth mode ourselves so both yours and ours are the same. Reverse lights, or switched on.
But that's a good way to go on switching for reverse for many and a solution for @JTW. Thank you.

Useless?? How so?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!