P1000m5 Rear seat belt failure

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has any one had one of their rear seat belts just lock up? Won’t go in or out....@jtw insert inappropriate comments hear. But seriously I’m sure it’s from mud, and the pressure washer packing it into it. Waiting to hear back from the dealership if Honda will cover it under the extended warranty. The one cover that is accessible with torques bit clearly says to not remove Fca1d21d8aacf0a731d75f2b16e8d58c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it isn’t replaced by honda, try drilling some small oiling holes in the same relief the words are molded. Just large enough for the straw from a bottle of Kroil to go thru and spray. Might take a few shots over time to loosen up though. Is it locked up 100%? Or does it move a bit?

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it isn’t replaced by honda, try drilling some small oiling holes in the same relief the words are molded. Just large enough for the straw from a bottle of Kroil to go thru and spray. Might take a few shots over time to loosen up though. Is it locked up 100%? Or does it move a bit?

Has about an 1/8” play in and out. Feels like it’s against a lock both ways. Very solid, I’ve given it every thing I got yarding on it trying to get it unstuck.

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about 4 point in rear for kids

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: popeye
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
0274686482fcccfa79322e71d50446d0
Took the cover off, released the finger that’s green, now it works again like it should? I’m not one to take seat belts lightly, especially because more often than not it’s someone’s wife or even kid that’s riding in the back. I’ve yanked on it quickly,with it in its mounted position and it locks it up every time? What do you think?

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about 4 point in rear for kids

Would b nice! But where do you anchor it to?

Reactions: BWAF
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 77990
Took the cover off, released the finger that’s green, now it works again like it should? I’m not one to take seat belts lightly, especially because more often than not it’s someone’s wife or even kid that’s riding in the back. I’ve yanked on it quickly,with it in its mounted position and it locks it up every time? What do you think?

I'd assume it's debris. My front one did it at takeover. Tapped it with a hammer and it retracted. Them washed the snot out of it while working it back and forth.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would b nice! But where do you anchor it to?

Top of seat frame and normal place at bottom .Turn top so it will still fold right

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be curious as to what Honda would have to say about it.

Generally seatbelts are designed to only come out at slow rates and also only whithin a tolerance of a steady position as well (not under braking/acceleration/cornering). Assuming I remember things correctly from drivers ed.

The belts themselves can and should be cleaned periodically. Pull them out at least a bit further than your normal use to wash them and clothespin (or whatever) to hold them out until dry. I make no claims of being an expert just one mans opinion.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after pulling the cover that said do not remove. Seeing the internal workings of the locking mechanism, it was spic and span, not at all what I was expecting to find. The belt itself was a little mud stained from dirt and mud but nothing caked up, I released the green colored finger that is triggered by a 1/2” steel ball bearing with hard g-force applications. Kinda weird I didn’t crash the rig last time out on Memorial Day if anything it was a pretty easy weekend besides some mud that was deeper than I like

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be curious as to what Honda would have to say about it.

At this point I don’t trust my local dealer to check my glow plugs or blinker fluid, after the clutch update, let alone something as important as seatbelts. It taken them over a week and they haven’t got back to me yet weather it’s covered. Well I have plans this weekend with my Honda, figured I better open it up to get it working again.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So after pulling the cover that said do not remove. Seeing the internal workings of the locking mechanism, it was spic and span, not at all what I was expecting to find. The belt itself was a little mud stained from dirt and mud but nothing caked up, I released the green colored finger that is triggered by a 1/2” steel ball bearing with hard g-force applications. Kinda weird I didn’t crash the rig last time out on Memorial Day if anything it was a pretty easy weekend besides some mud that was deeper than I like

The bearing move freely as well as the lock piece as soon as the cover was off? Might consider a little WD40 on it when you put it back together.

Belt itself doesn’t take much on it to create a lot of friction either. Surprised me first time I cleaned a truck seatbelt how much better it worked after.

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bearing move freely as well as the lock piece as soon as the cover was off? Might consider a little WD40 on it when you put it back together.

Belt itself doesn’t take much on it to create a lot of friction either. Surprised me first time I cleaned a truck seatbelt how much better it worked after.

A little dawn and water are what I use to clean the belts.

Reactions: BWAF and Plumber32
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At this point I don’t trust my local dealer to check my glow plugs or blinker fluid, after the clutch update, let alone something as important as seatbelts. It taken them over a week and they haven’t got back to me yet weather it’s covered. Well I have plans this weekend with my Honda, figured I better open it up to get it working again.

They charge a lot for muffler bearing replacement too? Lol.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry your dealer sucks more than a shop vac in a wood shop.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know what I would do honestly.
If it locked up, that could be a safety feature of sorts.
Seeing how clean it is under the cover, I would err on the side of caution and replace it.
Sounds like you need it this weekend, I would hate to see something happen to someone over a seatbelt. I would use it until I could replace it, but would be hesitant about putting a person back there.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
IMG 0722

IMG 0722
I removed The green cage and and ball bearing that was causing it to lock up! it still has the Pendulum on the other side to make it lock up during an accident. From what I can gather the green cage with ball bearing is a secondary lock up mechanism to have it locked up when at an angle. On the other side pendulum is to make it lock up during an accident. You may have noticed trying to put a seatbelt on while on a hill having to pull to level ground to do so. I do believe it will illuminate that as well to some extent. I can report back once I've tried it out. IMG 0723

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!