BOX1

rear shock guard

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
so i don't understand why this faces forward. my rear tire throws dirt and mud on the rod of the shock. so i turned it around and now its mostly clean after a ride.

this pic is not my machine.. just a quick google grab for reference.

2021 Honda Talon 1000X FOX Live Valve 4

Reactions: Mudwing and Isaiah
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
so i don't understand why this faces forward. my rear tire throws dirt and mud on the rod of the shock. so i turned it around and now its mostly clean after a ride.

this pic is not my machine.. just a quick google grab for reference.

View attachment 232327

That’s a great idea! What was involved in that?

M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
take out the lower shock bolt.. twist the shock 180 and reinstall bolt... but i also installed shocktherapy springs

Reactions: Montecresto and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I saw these on TerryH's build thread and liked them. Shock Therapy doesn't recommend shock covers because of potential heat issues but they're desert racers and I'm not Ricky Racer, have a high degree of mechanical sympathy and couldn't stand the chromed shafts and soft rubber seals being exposed to all the debris thrown up by the the tires.

Photo thanks to TerryH -
I qBwp4vJ L

Last edited:
Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I saw these on TerryH's build thread and liked them. Shock Therapy doesn't recommend shock covers because of potential heat issues but they're desert racers and I'm not Ricky Racer, have a high degree of mechanical sympathy and couldn't stand the chromed shafts and soft rubber seals being exposed to all the debris thrown up by the the tires.

Photo thanks to TerryH -
View attachment 232333
After riding for a while I have a squeak in my shocks. I splash some clean water on them and it stops for a while. Do you reckon covers like these would help with this issue?

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After riding for a while I have a squeak in my shocks. I splash some clean water on them and it stops for a while. Do you reckon covers like these would help with this issue?

No, I don't. I 'think' suspension squeak is caused by metal rubbing on metal, either the spring against the shock body or the spring ends twisting on their seats; shock covers won't help with that (if I'm right). A test would be to hit those surfaces with WD-40 BUT that will attract dust so you need a dry lube of some sort. I'm not familiar with that type of product so I can't recommend one but they do exist as far as I know.

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Shock covers came with my Weller Racing re-valve. I thought they were a gimmick but after having them on for a while, I wont own another dual spring shock without them. I change my crossovers sometimes depending on what type of riding (soften them up for crawling and crank them up for the dunes) and without the covers, it was a chore to get the rings moving. With the covers, they turn with one finger, even after a dusty day's ride.

They also keep the dust/sand from collecting between the plastic spring separator and the shock body. This dust/sand collection has gouged up my shocks pretty good and has caused them to stick in the past.

Reactions: Isaiah and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
And about the plastic guards. They are not there to keep the dust/dirt/mud off, they are intended to keep the little pebbled that bounce up from the front wheels from dinging your springs and shock rod as you go fast down a trail. Little dings on the springs weaken them and tiny dings on the shock rod will cause the seals to start leaking.

To illustrate, all the forward facing surfaces of my lower suspension parts in the rear have little tiny dings on them but none of the rear facing ones do. Once you get enough miles on your machine, you will see what I mean.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!