P1000 RECALL - Loose Throttle Body - ALL Honda Pioneer 1000 models. 16-18

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those of us that don’t want to load up, tie down and transport our machines an hour plus, to than explain to the service writer about a campaign that he has no clue about, to than release our machine to a kid that has less experience than we do with the machine. Just for a 18 min. Inspection. Do we know what they are looking for or at yet? Is it just loose mounting bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do we know what they are looking for or at yet?
No, We are still in need of exact "procedures" issued by Honda.
At this time, we are assuming it is just loose clamp or the tube is not set correctly. Off centered or mis-aligned.
From the wording, it cant be much more that that.

Many dealers are getting blind sided by this.
Tell them to check the Honda Service Bulletin SXS1000 #6, which is posted to iN. Thats the Honda Dealer Network.

If anyone can get us a copy, that would be great.

J

JTW

Is this just a loose clamp on the intake tube, at the throttle body? If so, I'll just look at my own...
For those of us that don’t want to load up, tie down and transport our machines an hour plus, to than explain to the service writer about a campaign that he has no clue about, to than release our machine to a kid that has less experience than we do with the machine. Just for a 18 min. Inspection. Do we know what they are looking for or at yet? Is it just loose mounting bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it isn’t all there is to the recall but the intake was loose on dad’s machine. I had loose clamps on the intake by the rad. I checked it after CP’s previous issues a year or so ago. I’m guessing that’s all it amounts to but this is clearly a bigger issue than just a couple machines.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Maybe it isn’t all there is to the recall but the intake was loose on dad’s machine. I had loose clamps on the intake by the rad. I checked it after CP’s previous issues a year or so ago. I’m guessing that’s all it amounts to but this is clearly a bigger issue than just a couple machines.
Yes I’d suggest people checking the intake hose clamps directly into the throttle body. There have been a few loose.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Sounds like there's a backstory I'm missing. What happened? Gotta link to a post?
Opening up on certain things has cost me a lot so I’m more reserved lately. But I can say if the intake hose is loose enough over time it lets enough dirt through the intake to cause damage to the cylinder wall. You’d assume the rings would take the abuse but it’s actually the cylinder wall that gets worn enough to lose compression. Also could be a culprit to multiple clutch failures from dirty oil.
Not positive if that’s the recall but mine had intake that appeared to have not been seated correctly with a loose hose and actually had a gap. Mentioned it at the time and there were a few other people with a loose clamp. Putting your hand over the intake to check for seal will not find this because it creates a vacuum that’ll suck the hose tight. Check the intake clamps

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
is the #3 the area you guys are talking about?

Upload 2018 8 29 11 40 8

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes...4 clamps total..2 on the airbox and 2 at the throttle body.
Yes that’s where I had the issue. On the forward of the two intake hoses against the throttle body.
Thanks guys - I know @Kilo427 has mentioned that his were loose everytime he checked there and I just happened to check there this weekend when I was changing out the air filter and had the seat off.

crazychris

crazychris

Oct 26, 2017
redfeild arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
when I did my heat shield I took the back of the seat off. found the hose almost completely off. put back on and tightened it. I was shocked that the hose wasnt even on the throttle body. what help does air filters do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

This is a silly recall IMO, but im glad Honda is doing it regardless.

Whats basically being checked is to see if the Throttle Bodies are seated all the way inside rhe rubber boots and that the clampa are tigthened to the spec they should be.

We are inserting a 3mm allen key between a boss on the TB and the rubber boot. If its tight or wont fit then its correctly installed.

Then we check with a 10mm allen key we check the gap in the clamps holding the TB to thr head.

Its simple and only takes a little extra time if you find one with a TB that isnt inserted properly.

All in all if you every recall/update (clutch, cabin heat, muffler, and this one) at once Honda is paying us 3 hours all together.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Sick of recalls. Between my Pioneer, and Ram pickup my desk has a stack of them.
I've never had a firearms recall. Maybe the auto / motorsport industries should look at there quality control examples.

Reactions: mlhannah1 and BWAF
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sick of recalls. Between my Pioneer, and Ram pickup my desk has a stack of them.
I've never had a firearms recall. Maybe the auto / motorsport industries should look at there quality control examples.

I had a Beretta recall a couple years back.

Glad to see Honda stepping up on these things. Yeah it seems silly for a hose clamp but at least they're owning it. Honda might still have the best quality but nothings as good as the old days.

I wonder if this relates to a certain thread about a blown motor and so-called water intrusion?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!