P1000 RECALL - Loose Throttle Body - ALL Honda Pioneer 1000 models. 16-18

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Called my local dealer today to discuss all “updates” and recalls. They were aware of the latest recall issue (intake loose) and how to address it.

They keep the exhaust shield in stock but they said they must have “machine in house” before Honda will allow them to even order the parts for the cabin comfort update and the clutch update. Said they would have to keep my 1000-5 until parts arrive then do install -their time estimate was up to 3 weeks.

Service rep asked if I was experiencing clutch problems, I have had no problems after 2000+ miles, and said if I was not having problems he suggested not “opening up” the tranny. So I may wait on the update for awhile since the update will be good until 2020.

The only real rub I have against Honda is that I have owned my 1000-5 for a full year and I have yet to get any notice regarding any of the updates or recalls. The only correspondence I’ve received is my monthly payment request.

M

mlhannah1

Apr 5, 2017
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your right Reno58
Got my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, in April 2017 and not a peep from Honda Motor Company. My buddie bought his 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 in June of 2017 and has got all kinds of mail from Honda? He financed from Honda, I went to a bank for my loan, so Honda is paid in full for my machine. I guess I should have went to Honda for the loan, but you say you don't get no information either?

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any shop that wants to keep the machine until the parts come is full of crap. After getting the run-around at my local dealer, I called one an hour away and they took my VIN and mileage over the phone and scheduled my service. I dropped it off at the shop on Wednesday morning and picked it up that afternoon with all updates, recalls and a oil change done.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any shop that wants to keep the machine until the parts come is full of crap. After getting the run-around at my local dealer, I called one an hour away and they took my VIN and mileage over the phone and scheduled my service. I dropped it off at the shop on Wednesday morning and picked it up that afternoon with all updates, recalls and a oil change done.
Same here!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Called my local dealer today to discuss all “updates” and recalls. They were aware of the latest recall issue (intake loose) and how to address it.

They keep the exhaust shield in stock but they said they must have “machine in house” before Honda will allow them to even order the parts for the cabin comfort update and the clutch update. Said they would have to keep my 1000-5 until parts arrive then do install -their time estimate was up to 3 weeks.

Service rep asked if I was experiencing clutch problems, I have had no problems after 2000+ miles, and said if I was not having problems he suggested not “opening up” the tranny. So I may wait on the update for awhile since the update will be good until 2020.

The only real rub I have against Honda is that I have owned my 1000-5 for a full year and I have yet to get any notice regarding any of the updates or recalls. The only correspondence I’ve received is my monthly payment request.

You need a better dealer! My dealer ordered all the parts for the clutch cover, muffler shield and heat update without even looking at my rig. I took it in on a Saturday morning and picked it up Tuesday morning. If they were open on Mondays I could've picked it up then.

BTW I didn't use Hond financing and have so far recieved letters for every upgrade/recall.

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need a better dealer! My dealer ordered all the parts for the clutch cover, muffler shield and heat update without even looking at my rig. I took it in on a Saturday morning and picked it up Tuesday morning. If they were open on Mondays I could've picked it up then.

BTW I didn't use Hond financing and have so far recieved letters for every upgrade/recall.

Gonna call another Honda dealer and see what they say about keeping my machine until parts come in. I did not buy my latest 1000 from them but have made major purchase from them in the past.

I’ve talked several times to my dealer regarding them taking my vin numbers and coming back when parts are in but they have repeatedly said “Honda won’t allow”. I don’t get it, my machine would just be in their way and a liability for them, plus they store their warranty inventory outside and I always store my ride in enclosed building , when not in use lol.

My current dealer is a multi make dealer (Polaris, Can-Am, etc). The dealer I’m gonna check with is a stand alone Honda dealer.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your right Reno58
Got my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5, in April 2017 and not a peep from Honda Motor Company. My buddie bought his 2017 Pioneer 1000-5 in June of 2017 and has got all kinds of mail from Honda? He financed from Honda, I went to a bank for my loan, so Honda is paid in full for my machine. I guess I should have went to Honda for the loan, but you say you don't get no information either?

I went through Honda Financial to get better deal (interest rate) and total silence. Thinking issue is my current dealer is a multi product dealer (Polaris, Can-Am, etc.) and may be a paper trail cut off somewhere.

When I bought my ‘09 Big Red from a stand alone dealership (about an hour drive away) I received all manner of mail and recall notifications.

Don’t get me started on Honda dealers carrying VERY little of the Honda accessory line too. I always get “we can order it” to which I say “I can too and not pay taxes”. Sometimes I’m in a mood to purchase an accessory regardless of slight price increase and taxes. They are loosing sales. I understand they can’t keep every accessory in stock but I had trouble finding dealer with a Honda windshield and roof in stock when I bought my 1000.

Sorry to go off subject. ;)

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got off phone with the Honda dealership about an hours drive away from me regarding updates/recalls.

The service rep said they keep parts for all updates/recalls in stock and then scheduled me to get everything taken care of next Friday - one day. Wow!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just got off phone with the Honda dealership about an hours drive away from me regarding updates/recalls.

The service rep said they keep parts for all updates/recalls in stock and then scheduled me to get everything taken care of next Friday - one day. Wow!

Good deal!

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your right Reno58
I have received all the letters and never had a loan on it. So that's not it. But I did have to call them to get verification of my extended warranty.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
About reviving letters: I have just dropped my machine off at the Honda dealer where my cabin is 3 hrs away for the clutch update and that Intake inspection. I did not buy it there (wish I had) but I like there dealership, there very personable and kind. Had a nice long loose talk with the service manager about my past not so good experience with the dealer I originally bought mine from and the run around I got from service after getting my machine back from the comfort kit update and half the parts not installed or givin to me! Anyway (sorry for the book. I’m setting something up here lol;)) so we talked about many things, and one thing that came up he asked if I was getting the mailings from Honda (witch I do get). He said, that mostly has to do with the office end of the dealership, not only filling out all the (HONDA owner personal information paperwork) that honda provids when you buy your machine, but them actually sending it out by mail to Honda or submitting it on line to Honda so you get your mailings. It’s a comon problem he hears about a lot from others about all makes and not to worry, as long as you have your vin when at the dealership you should be good to go with your updates.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yeah I got all of the letters and didn’t have a loan. Not that I used them I just do everything myself and skip getting angry at the dealership. But that’s just me.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.

The clutch engagement is smoother with the cover, so it's worth getting it even if you don't have any clutch issues.

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clutch engagement is smoother with the cover, so it's worth getting it even if you don't have any clutch issues.

The service rep at the dealership I’m getting work performed said the update will make the tranny shift a little differently.

Strange, he said they have installed the upgrade on several 1000’s - around 100. My original dealer said they’ve only installed one.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a silly recall IMO, but im glad Honda is doing it regardless.

Whats basically being checked is to see if the Throttle Bodies are seated all the way inside rhe rubber boots and that the clampa are tigthened to the spec they should be.

We are inserting a 3mm allen key between a boss on the TB and the rubber boot. If its tight or wont fit then its correctly installed.

Then we check with a 10mm allen key we check the gap in the clamps holding the TB to thr head.

Its simple and only takes a little extra time if you find one with a TB that isnt inserted properly.

All in all if you every recall/update (clutch, cabin heat, muffler, and this one) at once Honda is paying us 3 hours all together.

Thank you! Took a look last night as we have a trip schedule next weekend and couldn't get into the dealership before then. Having the rough procedure made it a breeze and gave me some much needed piece of mind!

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was time to service the Beast so I figured I would check to see what all the fuss is about while I was in the vicinity...
View attachment 85567 View attachment 85568 View attachment 85569
Everything seemed to be tight and in place. I couldn’t find the problem.

Mine has the 6 clamps you can see in the pictures above. However the two singles on top are different. Mine are more of a typical Philips head worm screw clamp. My lower 4 clamps are just like yours in the picture. I saw the spec in the diagram showing a distance to measure of like 14mm max or something... but I don't have anything to measure on my upper clamps?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine has the 6 clamps you can see in the pictures above. However the two singles on top are different. Mine are more of a typical Philips head worm screw clamp. My lower 4 clamps are just like yours in the picture. I saw the spec in the diagram showing a distance to measure of like 14mm max or something... but I don't have anything to measure on my upper clamps?

My inspection consisted of trying to forcibly move them and checking tightness of clamps. I didn’t bother measuring anything! But after riding the other day a caught a strong whiff of gas and wondered WTF. I may remove everything one more time just for peace of mind.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!