P1000 RECALL - Loose Throttle Body - ALL Honda Pioneer 1000 models. 16-18

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The lower 4 were all tight and mostly aligned properly so I guess good enough (I might loosen the forward pair and twist that boot a hair). The upper clamps were those cheap screw clamps that I just spoke of. They both seemed tight by giving them the wiggle and twist test... but the rearward one was miss aligned. Which my ocd hates so I loosened it, twisted a hair and retightened. Then I thought I'd check the forward one on top and soon as I applied the slightest pressure the worm gear slipped/stripped a slot (however you say itl and loosened. So tomorrow i guess ill stop at napa or something and get a couple nice clamps for the two top ones...

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My clamps were all tight and appear to be installed good enough to not cause any issues (not perfect, but good enough to seal). My question to you all is...Are your rubber intake hoses round? Or are they somewhat collapsed? Mine are kind of flattened as if the intake vacuum is sucking them shut. My rig still reaches 66 MPH so I've never worried about air intake being choked. It just seems odd.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just dropped off Sparky for the clutch cover, and intake inspection. The comfort kit and muffler sheild have already been done. Hope it all goes well!
dropping mine off Saturday to get all the updates done before i get rid of it. he said drop it off in the morning and it will all be done by mid afternoon. he also said that they will test it to see if the clutch is slipping any and if it is they will replace everything free of charge but I will have to wait till Monday afternoon to pick it up if they do that. I thought that was cool being that my warranty has already expired.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You are checking to make sure part #3 is connected to part #9. clamps are tight and the tube is properly aligned.
While there, should check part #4 too.

Upload 2018 8 29 11 40 8 png

Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my ‘17 P1000-5 in this morning to do all 4 updates at 9:00 and was finished at 1:30 this afternoon. Yay! They made and gave me a spare key too.

Service rep said no issues with intake manifold, good as is.

Seems to shift a little different than before.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took my ‘17 P1000-5 in this morning to do all 4 updates at 9:00 and was finished at 1:30 this afternoon. Yay! They made and gave me a spare key too.

Service rep said no issues with intake manifold, good as is.

Seems to shift a little different than before.
where did you take it? I got mine back today also

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Reno58

Reno58

Oct 21, 2017
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
me too. I left there around noon. They were great to deal with. Did you see all the Hondasxs stickers I left them? lol

No, wished I did see them. I was too busy watching a mechanic install the ‘cabin comfort kit’ and prepping for the trans update. Lol

I did score a slick key fob tho. ;)

I agree, they are great to deal with.

H

HondaTech

Mine has the 6 clamps you can see in the pictures above. However the two singles on top are different. Mine are more of a typical Philips head worm screw clamp. My lower 4 clamps are just like yours in the picture. I saw the spec in the diagram showing a distance to measure of like 14mm max or something... but I don't have anything to measure on my upper clamps?

The 2 clamps holding the upper throttle plate to the air box tubes arent being inspected here.

We are only instructed to check the gap (3mm or less) between a boss on the TB and the rubber boot. Then the 2 clamps holding the boot on the TB are checked to see if the gap between the 2 sides of the clamp were the screw is threaded in is a certain size (10mm or less).

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are checking to make sure part #3 is connected to part #9. clamps are tight and the tube is properly aligned.
While there, should check part #4 too.

View attachment 86885

b00m!!!
while doing my turn signal install today I checked these points and they were loose!!
not to the point of falling off, but it feels good to get this done Thank YOU, very much for sharing this information!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got mine in the mail today........4th “update”/recall in less than a year. Still like it, don’t get me wrong but I hope they slow down. Kind of torn between checking/doing it myself vs taking to dealer.
If you can operate a screwdriver, you can perform this recall. You'll be finished fixing it in less time than it takes to call the dealer and set up an appointment!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you can operate a screwdriver, you can perform this recall. You'll be finished fixing it in less time than it takes to call the dealer and set up an appointment!
Talked to the dealer about it and asked him if this was just a cover your butt recall, he didn't answer the question, but asked me me I ever took a carb out of a dirt bike and reinstall, said if you can do that you can check this recall your self. I had every thing apart any way replacing the air filter and changing the oil, everything was fine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Talked to the dealer about it and asked him if this was just a cover your butt recall, he didn't answer the question, but asked me me I ever took a carb out of a dirt bike and reinstall, said if you can do that you can check this recall your self. I had every thing apart any way replacing the air filter and changing the oil, everything was fine.
Yes, its a Cover your Butt thing. Yours and Honda's.
You know Honda will advise having it done "officially".

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!