P1000 recalls and whatnot

D

Dasmoeturhead

I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 eps, and to date I have not had any of the recalls or clutch updates done yet. I bought it new in Jan 2016. The place I bought it from went out of business.
As a master tech (retired). I cringe at even having to talk to the service dept. I started the process this morning, and already don't like the vibe I'm getting from the dickhead on the other end of the Honda service dept. For one thing I don't have a way to get it to the dealer. I'm going to rent a trailer and bring it in this Thursday.
Are there any words of wisdom from folks who have dealt with Honda particularly with the clutch update that might help this go smooth? Any Buzz words I should know about and whatnot? the machine is in excellent condition, clean, and only has 2300 miles on it. All service has been done by me, and on time. Mostly just around my property. The clutch has always been jerky, but I got used to it, and isn't really a problem, but I would like that new clutch cover. Anyway thanks for any help from folks that have gone through this.

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Honestly if you aren't having any slippage, I'd just keep on truckin. Once it starts to go then take it in and get the updated cover and a brand new clutch. On the flip side if you're going to bring it in for all of the other recalls/service bulletins and have to rent a trailer to do so, I'd get everything done in one fell swoop.

Reactions: Russ989

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 eps, and to date I have not had any of the recalls or clutch updates done yet. I bought it new in Jan 2016. The place I bought it from went out of business.
As a master tech I cringe at even having to talk to the service dept. I started the process this morning, and already don't like the vibe I'm getting from the dickhead on the other end of the Honda service dept. For one thing I don't have a way to get it to the dealer. I'm going to rent a trailer and bring it in this Thursday.
Are there any words of wisdom from folks who have dealt with Honda particularly with the clutch update that might help this go smooth? Any Buzz words I should know about and whatnot? the machine is in excellent condition, clean, and only has 2300 miles on it. All service has been done by me, and on time. Mostly just around my property. The clutch has always been jerky, but I got used to it, and isn't really a problem, but I would like that new clutch cover. Anyway thanks for any help from folks that have gone through this.
I have the EXACT same concern as you do on my 2016 P1K. My original clutches are absolutely perfect and I'll never use the machine in a way that would cause them to fail. However...time is running out for a free, new and improved clutch design. Also, I imagine that if I ever go to sell it, the first thing a researched buyer will look at is that clutch cover. OTOH, if I went to buy a used machine, I'd be reassured that the machine was never abused if it still had the original pre-updated cover! (SMH). One of the techs at my dealership is a personal friend of mine. That being said...he knows that I wouldn't trust him to work on anything more complex than a wheelbarrow. So.... I dunno what to do either. What say guys?

Reactions: Russ989
D

Dasmoeturhead

I have the EXACT same concern as you do on my 2016 P1K. My original clutches are absolutely perfect and I'll never use the machine in a way that would cause them to fail. However...time is running out for a free, new and improved clutch design. Also, I imagine that if I ever go to sell it, the first thing a researched buyer will look at is that clutch cover. OTOH, if I went to buy a used machine, I'd be reassured that the machine was never abused if it still had the original pre-updated cover! (SMH). One of the techs at my dealership is a personal friend of mine. That being said...he knows that I wouldn't trust him to work on anything more complex than a wheelbarrow. So.... I dunno what to do either. What say guys?

Lol, I see were on the same page. I'm sure my clutches are fine, but I do want the improved clutch cover for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im in same boat. My clutches don't slip at all after 6400 miles of fairly rough riding. Was gonna wait til close to Sept of next year but they are dragging. Shifting at idle is very hard. Here lately I put in gear before starting it.
Anyways my plan is to talk to service manager and feel him out. Im snorkeled, 30" tires, and custom cage. Gonna try to see where he lands on all that. I'm hoping it having that many miles will show them I've taken care of machine pretty well.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting my update was a complete nightmare at my dealer.
Wife and I made the trek from Cleveland to Arkansas last Feb for a group ride.
Our machine started slipping the clutch on the trails. We got to a mountain top and phoned into the dealer to make an appointment.
Dropped off machine, told them my problems, clutches flaring/slipping during gear changes etc.
Service manager decided NOT to verify my complaint and only put the clutch update in. Called me a week later, told me to come get it. We finish the paperwork, bring my machine out front, it will barely drive on the trailer. Immediately back into service for another 3 weeks. Delay after delay after delay. They blamed Honda for not wanting to replace the clutches or some bulls***.
If the service manager would have just followed step 1 of the Honda bulletin "verify complaint", I am confident clutches would have been installed the first time around.
Service manager was trying to charge me all sorts of "extras" for not bringing them a bone stock machine. Complained I had soft doors installed, that I had a mid panel, and to top it all off, was super mad that I had reverse lights in the tailgate which impeded them from removing my bed. I walked up and simply showed him where they were connected to the factory harness. He wanted to charge me to cut and rewire it.

So short story. have the service manager verify your complaint before leaving it. Do not sign completed work order without inspecting your machine when picking up.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Im in same boat. My clutches don't slip at all after 6400 miles of fairly rough riding. Was gonna wait til close to Sept of next year but they are dragging. Shifting at idle is very hard. Here lately I put in gear before starting it.
Anyways my plan is to talk to service manager and feel him out. Im snorkeled, 30" tires, and custom cage. Gonna try to see where he lands on all that. I'm hoping it having that many miles will show them I've taken care of machine pretty well.
if nothing else, give me the cover to install myself, but I know they won't do that. I already checked the throttle body clamps, and pedal pin myself. I dont see a problem there. I guess i lost the muffler shield recall. oh well. I beleive the heat fix expired. I could care less about that either. a fan will work way better anyway.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Our machine started slipping the clutch on the trails. We got to a mountain top and phoned into the dealer to make an appointment.
Dropped off machine, told them my problems, clutches flaring/slipping during gear changes etc.
Service manager decided NOT to verify my complaint and only put the clutch update in. Called me a week later, told me to come get it. We finish the paperwork, bring my machine out front, it will barely drive on the trailer. Immediately back into service for another 3 weeks. Delay after delay after delay. They blamed Honda for not wanting to replace the clutches or some bulls***.
If the service manager would have just followed step 1 of the Honda bulletin "verify complaint", I am confident clutches would have been installed the first time around.
Service manager was trying to charge me all sorts of "extras" for not bringing them a bone stock machine. Complained I had soft doors installed, that I had a mid panel, and to top it all off, was super mad that I had reverse lights in the tailgate which impeded them from removing my bed. I walked up and simply showed him where they were connected to the factory harness. He wanted to charge me to cut and rewire it.

So short story. have the service manager verify your complaint before leaving it. Do not sign completed work order without inspecting your machine when picking up.
Exactly the situation im hoping to avoid. I'm taking it where i bought it so maybe will buy me some good will. Since im building another cage anyways ill just throw on my stock one. I sold my tube bed so I'll see what he says about bring it in without a bed at all. Personally I'd be happy if someone brought one to me with bed already off lol. That'd save time.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if nothing else, give me the cover to install myself, but I know they won't do that. I already checked the throttle body clamps, and pedal pin myself. I dont see a problem there. I guess i lost the muffler shield recall. oh well. I beleive the heat fix expired. I could care less about that either. a fan will work way better anyway.
Normally I'd be fine with them giving me cover but it's gonna need to be torn into to find out why clutches are dragging.

Reactions: 0860silverado
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As a master tech (retired). I cringe at even having to talk to the service dept. I started the process this morning, and already don't like the vibe I'm getting from the dickhead on the other end of the Honda service dept. For one thing I don't have a way to get it to the dealer. I'm going to rent a trailer and bring it in this Thursday.
Could always print out each of the service bulletins/Customer Campaigns/Recalls and bring them with you.

I would absolutely get the clutch cover update done. your clutches may be perfect but you will notice a difference in how it drives after. it not only improves the life of the clutches but the machine will be smoother.
I would ask
  • How many clutch covers they have replaced - lets you know their experience level
  • What % of those machines did they also replace the clutches - will let you know if they know they are to replace clutches that are burnt up
  • What average turn around time is and when you can expect yours to be complete
  • Do they have the parts in house or do they have to wait on them?

I have always found that it is best to write all of this down in front of them or let them know you are writing down if on the phone - Especially let them know you know their name.

Are they a Honda only dealer or a multi dealer? Sadly that does seem to make a difference.

D

Dasmoeturhead

just trying to get this stuff done on the 1st trip. My clutches don't slip, but if somebody other than me try to drive this machine , and I was the co pilot I would probably need neck surgery from an abrupt take off. Ive learned to feather the gas pedal when taking off. Its still hard to master, and I really shouldn't have to operate it that way. I hope they understand, that that is a clutch problem.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also - I kept putting off the petal change out and once it was done I could actually tell a huge difference much smoother - I did not even think anything was wrong with my other petal

D

Dasmoeturhead

Could always print out each of the service bulletins/Customer Campaigns/Recalls and bring them with you.

I would absolutely get the clutch cover update done. your clutches may be perfect but you will notice a difference in how it drives after. it not only improves the life of the clutches but the machine will be smoother.
I would ask
  • How many clutch covers they have replaced - lets you know their experience level
  • What % of those machines did they also replace the clutches - will let you know if they know they are to replace clutches that are burnt up

I have always found that it is best to write all of this down in front of them or let them know you are writing down if on the phone - Especially let them know you know their name.

Are they a Honda only dealer or a multi dealer? Sadly that does seem to make a difference.

good points , thanks. My UPS driver had his done at the place I'm bringing mine to, and he said they did ok. Im wondering if they determine that the clutches are ok, will they install a new improved clutch cover. idk

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good points , thanks. My UPS driver had his done at the place I'm bringing mine to, and he said they did ok. Im wondering if they determine that the clutches are ok, will they install a new improved clutch cover. idk
every one (who does not have) is suppose to get the updated clutch cover, at the time of installation they are suppose to inspect the clutch packs and if damaged they are suppose to replace those at the same time. while not an expert on it I think some places do not carry the clutch packs instock (or at least used not to) and if they showed signs of damage they would have to order - causing a little delay.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I would ask

Mine is Honda only dealer.

H

HondaTech

Honestly if you aren't having any slippage, I'd just keep on truckin. Once it starts to go then take it in and get the updated cover and a brand new clutch. On the flip side if you're going to bring it in for all of the other recalls/service bulletins and have to rent a trailer to do so, I'd get everything done in one fell swoop.

The update is only being offered for free until next year sometime. I'm sure dealers will still do it, but your at the mercy of whatever they want to charge.

Reactions: JTW and Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The update is only being offered for free until next year sometime. I'm sure dealers will still do it, but your at the mercy of whatever they want to charge.
Ah good to know, thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!