P1000 Recommendation - Best tire for dirt trails w/sharp rocks

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
So some of the guys here convinced me buy the Pioneer 1000-5 LE for my family. Thanks for the push! Now, I want a bigger set of really good tires installed before I take delivery. My area is NWA (Northwest Arkansas) home of dirt trails and lots of sharp rocks. Some mud but mostly just drive through no issues. It's those pointy rocks that might try to take me out.

I do not want to get a lift kit so looking for the biggest, really good tire for my area that can be put on and not rub. Was thinking 28's should fit after doing some reading on here but I'm asking you. So looking for tire size and brand/model. I do like the "look" of the stock treads, Rocktanes, blackwater evo treads...do not want a real aggressive tread. I know you know so let me know!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So some of the guys here convinced me buy the Pioneer 1000-5 LE for my family. Thanks for the push! Now, I want a bigger set of really good tires installed before I take delivery. My area is NWA (Northwest Arkansas) home of dirt trails and lots of sharp rocks. Some mud but mostly just drive through no issues. It's those pointy rocks that might try to take me out.

I do not want to get a lift kit so looking for the biggest, really good tire for my area that can be put on and not rub. Was thinking 28's should fit after doing some reading on here but I'm asking you. So looking for tire size and brand/model. I do like the "look" of the stock treads, Rocktanes, blackwater evo treads...do not want a real aggressive tread. I know you know so let me know!
Welcome from NWA myself. Where do your ride at? I will ride a Rush Springs, Disney, millcreek/ Mulberry and Buckhorn. Yes, the rocks up here can do some damage to tires - I can testify to that. @nbomar and @my99svt run roctanes and have been successful at having no issues with those. I currently run Airsuns (harder to get now) and find I have been successful as long as I keep 10-11 lb of air in them. I tend to have a few pinch flats if I don’t.
I know people who run Blackwater Evos and have been successful with those as well.

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Welcome from NWA myself. Where do your ride at? I will ride a Rush Springs, Disney, millcreek/ Mulberry and Buckhorn. Yes, the rocks up here can do some damage to tires - I can testify to that. @nbomar and @my99svt run roctanes and have been successful at having no issues with those. I currently run Airsuns (harder to get now) and find I have been successful as long as I keep 10-11 lb of air in them. I tend to have a few pinch flats if I don’t.
I know people who run Blackwater Evos and have been successful with those as well.
We have ridden a few times at Rush. First time out accidentally got on a red trail daughter thought she was gonna die lol. Made it up and back down safely. A bit nerve wracking with family on board. Also road at Buckhorn last week with the NWA ATV club. Really fun riding with a group too.

As for tires I like the Rocktanes but I have no experience to base that on lol.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run the roctanes. It’s my 4th set of tires and only tires I’ve had that lasted more than a couple trips without a hole in them. (I’m hard on tires). Had bighorns first. Blew one first trip, then super atv intimidators cut 3 down on very first ride of first weekend out, bought rock a Billy’s next. They held up decent for a couple rides but I ended up cutting 2 of them down also. One had a huge hole in it. That leads me to roctanes. I’ve had them for over a year now and no holes at all. They are TOUGH! They are heavy so you will be able to tell the difference in rotating mass. I think you can run a 28” roctanes factory. @Windrock1000 had some before he lifted and did new arms if I’m not mistaken. Welcome to the addiction. Hope to run across you some time. I’ve rode with the NWA atv club also a few times. Good guys and clean riding without some of the nonsense you see from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
I run the roctanes. It’s my 4th set of tires and only tires I’ve had that lasted more than a couple trips without a hole in them. (I’m hard on tires). Had bighorns first. Blew one first trip, then super atv intimidators cut 3 down on very first ride of first weekend out, bought rock a Billy’s next. They held up decent for a couple rides but I ended up cutting 2 of them down also. One had a huge hole in it. That leads me to roctanes. I’ve had them for over a year now and no holes at all. They are TOUGH! They are heavy so you will be able to tell the difference in rotating mass. I think you can run a 28” roctanes factory. @Windrock1000 had some before he lifted and did new arms if I’m not mistaken. Welcome to the addiction. Hope to run across you some time. I’ve rode with the NWA atv club also a few times. Good guys and clean riding without some of the nonsense you see from others.

Great info! Thank you. Yes maybe run into each other sometime. Thanks for the tire information I like the Rocktanes.

Reactions: sharp and TimG
mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
If I switch to the 28” Rocktanes will they fit on the stock 14” rims front and back? I can’t tell but will they come with a wider tire for the back like the stock ones?

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have ridden a few times at Rush. First time out accidentally got on a red trail daughter thought she was gonna die lol. Made it up and back down safely. A bit nerve wracking with family on board. Also road at Buckhorn last week with the NWA ATV club. Really fun riding with a group too.

As for tires I like the Rocktanes but I have no experience to base that on lol.

I was out at Buckhorn myself last sat with @my99svt I was in a Grey Honda 5 seater and he had a funky snow camo wrapped honda 3 seater:D

Reactions: sharp
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I switch to the 28” Rocktanes will they fit on the stock 14” rims front and back? I can’t tell but will they come with a wider tire for the back like the stock ones?

I would just run the same size all the way around. Not wider in the rear. This will allow you to rotate. If you change the wheels at the same time or in the future I would also run the same wheels front and rear. Allows for one spare, moving the wheels and tires as needed etc.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
28" tires are only 10" wide. Some have added 1" spacers to rear with stock wheels to keep the track width the same front to rear. I'll do this when I go to 30". I have SuperATV off set a arms.

I also have stock size Roctanes and run them at 14 lbs all the way around. I have been pleased on hard pack and rocks, but not happy at all in the mud. Now, I might not be using enough gas to through the mud, but I'm going to go with something else in the spring. They are rough on the hard top.

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
Is anybody running No Limit Patriots? Dealer is suggesting these.

EEA384E3 3E1B 4276 9449 AA47C771747D

Reactions: Ragnar406
mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
I would just run the same size all the way around. Not wider in the rear. This will allow you to rotate. If you change the wheels at the same time or in the future I would also run the same wheels front and rear. Allows for one spare, moving the wheels and tires as needed etc.
I like that idea. Would you put spacers on the back to keep aligned with front tires? I don’t know I would ride where that would matter much. Thoughts?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like that idea. Would you put spacers on the back to keep aligned with front tires? I don’t know I would ride where that would matter much. Thoughts?

I didn’t at first. Then I bought 1” spacers for rear. Now I have 2” spacers for rear and moving the 1” to front.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I didn’t at first either but my beadlocks were rubbing the SATV arms. I did 1”F/2”R I haven’t had any issues with ball joints but I’ve only got about 800-1000miles on the spacers.

Make sure you use Blue Loctite on the threads and torque them down correctly, they are hard to check or notice when a lug it has loosened up.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: GlockMeister
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They really look a lot like the Tusk Warthogs - like almost exactly which I know several members here really like @GlockMeister @Dragon21

View attachment 95813
Patriot All Terrain Tire | No Limit Wheels

What are they asking for them? I believe tusk are now discontinued but you mint look at Rocky Mountain ATV - and at their reviews
Tusk Warthog Radial Tire
They have been great tires. I dont think they are the best looking tires out there, but honestly I cant complain one bit.

mjs6789

mjs6789

Nov 26, 2018
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Other Brand
They really look a lot like the Tusk Warthogs - like almost exactly which I know several members here really like @GlockMeister @Dragon21

View attachment 95813
Patriot All Terrain Tire | No Limit Wheels

What are they asking for them? I believe tusk are now discontinued but you mint look at Rocky Mountain ATV - and at their reviews
Tusk Warthog Radial Tire
They are asking $1000 for tires and rims, they keep oem tires and rims. I believe otherwise would be $1400

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Which dealer are you buying from? Heartland has a few P1's with Super ATV arms on them, but they don't know the proper adjustments and there all wonky. There is a post here that gives you the measurements you'll need

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The best I can tell you from experience is the tensor regulator. I had several thousand miles on them not 1 cut or flat.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
bunch of places you can get tires and wheels for 800 to 1000 and then you can sell your and keep that too, I bought from motoxmall, rocky mountain, dennis kirk, motosport. all pretty good

Reactions: mjs6789

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!