BOX1

Recommendations on trailers?

C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have a recommendation on a trailer for a 1000-5 and a Can-Am Outlander Max ATV? Overall length needed comes in 163" with the atv sideways on the trailer. That is 5" shy of 14'. Don't know if 14' trailers are a true 14' inside dimension or if that is outside. Am I better off getting a 16' so I can control weight distribution better? With the engine and transmission in the rear of the 1000-5 would it be best to back it in? The Outlander is about 700lbs with the 1000-5 at 1700lbs. Thoughts on single vs double axle? The local trailer dealers have some echo trailers that look like they could work. Thanks!

Screenshot 20210317 220830 Chrome

Reactions: pappyo
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are a lot of things to consider when buying a trailer and you will probably end up using it for a lot more things than just hauling around the sxs and atv. What is your tow vehicle? If it's 1/2 ton truck or larger I'd go bigger on the trailer. How far will you be towing? What's the condition on the roads you will be towing on? Lots of potholes and dips and bumps where I live. The one you posted for example will almost be maxed out when you have it loaded. I have an 18' trailer with 3500 pound double axles with electric brakes. I prefer double axle. My opinion they pull better and if you have a tire blow out or bearing go bad you have the other axle there to help. If you are in the mountains then the electric brakes would be a big benefit.

C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are a lot of things to consider when buying a trailer and you will probably end up using it for a lot more things than just hauling around the sxs and atv. What is your tow vehicle? If it's 1/2 ton truck or larger I'd go bigger on the trailer. How far will you be towing? What's the condition on the roads you will be towing on? Lots of potholes and dips and bumps where I live. The one you posted for example will almost be maxed out when you have it loaded. I have an 18' trailer with 3500 pound double axles with electric brakes. I prefer double axle. My opinion they pull better and if you have a tire blow out or bearing go bad you have the other axle there to help. If you are in the mountains then the electric brakes would be a big benefit.
Thanks! 1/2 ton with 9200lb tow capacity. Yes, a lot of mountain towing. Mostly paved with some short dirt to trailheads. Most of the trips less than two hours with the occasional trip 4-6 hours. They also make this 14' model with double axle and electric brakes.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you’re going to be loading the trailer with two bikes, I would definitely go tandem axle. The ebrakes are a great feature as well but keep in mind that you will have to install trailer brakes on your truck for them to work, unless the truck came with them already installed from the manufacturer. Like Waggin Tail mentioned, tandem axles pull better than single axles, they are rated for higher weight capacities and you’ve got two more wheels/ tires to pick up the slack in the event of a blowout or a hub failure. The downside is that you can’t move it around by hand like you would with a single axle trailer but to me it’s a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Wagontail is giving excellent advice.
If you buy mininum size needed -- will Wish you bought bigger. ( go 1 or 2 Sizes BIGGER you WILL be Glad you Did )
Be Safe with the investment you have in the 2 Machines & Truck. ( Go for Brakes )
Travel & load you described ---Dual Axle W/ Brakes -- 16ft.min. -- 18ft Better.
Think Long Term - Buy Big Enough - Buy Once - Buy Alum, > ( If you can swing the $$$ )

Several Years & several trailers now up to --- Aluma : Dual Axle W/ Brakes - 7k 18ft Power Tilt Car Hauler with removeable WINCH up front. ( 2 Many Toys ) & keeping them.( on 3rd. Alum, Trailer some reason Always too small )
Aluminum Holds Resale - BEST. ( Inflation : after few years Alum, sells for almost what you paid )
14FT. ALUM. after 6yrs. Sold for $ 200 less than paid
16FT .ALUM. after 9yrs. Sold for $ 500 less than paid

20200725 125550 20200725 125621

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Car trailer all the way. Don’t buy a trailer that leaves you limited.

I have aluminum 18’+2’ dove tail and it’s been worth every penny. Then you can add winch etc.

Reactions: Colorado1000-5
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also with the extra length I usually strap an aluminum toolbox on the front to put helmets, extra clothes and whatever else will fit. And I already have a toolbox mounted on the tongue with spare hub assembly, jack, and tools. The weight adds up quick.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A winch up front would be nice.
Car trailer all the way. Don’t buy a trailer that leaves you limited.

I have aluminum 18’+2’ dove tail and it’s been worth every penny. Then you can add winch etc.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My 14' Echo trailer measures 14' for the bed even though the front rail is angled forward at 45* (so longer). As much as I like the maneuverability of the single axle when it's unloaded, you're pushing its 3500 pound axle capacity and I'd go with the tandem. If you have the room to park it, longer is better for miscellaneous gear. For instance, I can add a small dirt bike if I want (barely now with the bed extender and spare tire).

My Talon on the 14' Echo Elite trailer (I really like the trailer). A Talon is 7" longer than the Pioneer. The blue line is showing where I need to park for a 250 pound tongue weight but I don't know where you'll need to be with the Outlander up front. Even without my bed extender, the 14' looks like a tight fit for your two rides.

Last edited:
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I‘d go with the tandem. My current single axle is pretty well loaded with my P1000-3. I’m looking to upgrade to a tandem this year. I‘ve frequently wished the trailer was bigger.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I have an 8x18 enclosed for the P500 and Honda Atv, room to spare and walk around. Like said above, consider a car trailer as they have reinforced door ramps. General utility does not. An enclosed is like having an extra garage.

81D3C3B4 8C8B 4BB3 A232 BDEFDCF3EBF558215CDA 951C 4EFA A44F 6DC46CBECA44

C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you’re going to be loading the trailer with two bikes, I would definitely go tandem axle. The ebrakes are a great feature as well but keep in mind that you will have to install trailer brakes on your truck for them to work, unless the truck came with them already installed from the manufacturer. Like Waggin Tail mentioned, tandem axles pull better than single axles, they are rated for higher weight capacities and you’ve got two more wheels/ tires to pick up the slack in the event of a blowout or a hub failure. The downside is that you can’t move it around by hand like you would with a single axle trailer but to me it’s a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yes both tow rigs came with factory trailer brake controllers. I like the insurance of the 4 wheels for blowouts and hubs, which I have had experience with in my younger years!

Reactions: Prntckt
C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! I'll look into aluminum. Rust isn't an issue here in CO and ideally it will be stored inside, but I like the lighter weight aspect. Also, seems like everyone likes bigger.
Wagontail is giving excellent advice.
If you buy mininum size needed -- will Wish you bought bigger. ( go 1 or 2 Sizes BIGGER you WILL be Glad you Did )
Be Safe with the investment you have in the 2 Machines & Truck. ( Go for Brakes )
Travel & load you described ---Dual Axle W/ Brakes -- 16ft.min. -- 18ft Better.
Think Long Term - Buy Big Enough - Buy Once - Buy Alum, > ( If you can swing the $$$ )

Several Years & several trailers now up to --- Aluma : Dual Axle W/ Brakes - 7k 18ft Power Tilt Car Hauler with removeable WINCH up front. ( 2 Many Toys ) & keeping them.( on 3rd. Alum, Trailer some reason Always too small )
Aluminum Holds Resale - BEST. ( Inflation : after few years Alum, sells for almost what you paid )
14FT. ALUM. after 6yrs. Sold for $ 200 less than paid
16FT .ALUM. after 9yrs. Sold for $ 500 less than paid

View attachment 261335 View attachment 261337

Reactions: Prntckt
C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks! You brought up my biggest issue with going longer, where to park it. The 14' will fit in my garage. Anything longer and I will most likely need to pay for storage. I'll need to do some research on 16s and see if any of them will fit. If not might as well go 17/18

My 14' Echo trailer measures 14' for the bed even though the front rail is angled forward at 45* (so longer). As much as I like the maneuverability of the single axle when it's unloaded, you're pushing its 3500 pound axle capacity and I'd go with the tandem. If you have the room to park it, longer is better for miscellaneous gear. For instance, I can add a small dirt bike if I want (barely now with the bed extender and spare tire).

My Talon on the 14' Echo Elite trailer (I really like the trailer). A Talon is 7" longer than the Pioneer. The blue line is showing where I need to park for a 250 pound tongue weight but I don't know where you'll need to be with the Outlander up front. Even without my bed extender, the 14' looks like a tight fit for your two rides.

View attachment 261309

C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Give us a few more days and we'll have you talked into buying a F450 and 30' gooseneck 😄
Maybe the 30 footer, but never something that starts with an F 😅 . But that's for another thread!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks! You brought up my biggest issue with going longer, where to park it. The 14' will fit in my garage. Anything longer and I will most likely need to pay for storage. I'll need to do some research on 16s and see if any of them will fit. If not might as well go 17/18
That's a tough one, mine lives in the garage and I'd whimper if I had to store it elsewhere. If they'll fit on a 14', I'd have to go that route. The Pioneer is about an inch taller than a Talon, you'll need an 8' garage door - I only have 2 or 3 inches to spare.

C

Colorado1000-5

Feb 27, 2021
Fraser, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a tough one, mine lives in the garage and I'd whimper if I had to store it elsewhere. If they'll fit on a 14', I'd have to go that route. The Pioneer is about an inch taller than a Talon, you'll need an 8' garage door - I only have 2 or 3 inches to spare.
The Pioneer will live in the garage. It won't fit on the trailer, my door is too small. My plan was to store the Outlander on the trailer along with bigger kids toys/bikes/dirtbike etc and use some supports under the front and back of the trailer to make it stable. If i go longer I would only need storage for the trailer, but then it will be out in the elements.

Reactions: CID
Z

Zaldan

Oct 22, 2018
Edmonton alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have an 16' aluminum some welds have cracked and the problem is I can't just fire the welder up and weld em I need to take it to some one that can where if it was steel bingo bango I can fix that.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!