P700m2 Removing the dual battery setup?

R

Reloder28

Oct 21, 2018
Deer Park, Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
Currently running an auxiliary & stock battery on my 700-2. Thinking on deleting the factory junk & rolling with the auxiliary only. Don’t like the way the isolator works with my machine.
See any reasons to keep the dual battery setup??

Reactions: Buggyman
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Currently running an auxiliary & stock battery on my 700-2. Thinking on deleting the factory junk & rolling with the auxiliary only. Don’t like the way the isolator works with my machine.
See any reasons to keep the dual battery setup??
I haven't had any issues with the isolator since 17?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've already got all the infrastructure to run two, which is far superior to running one. Unless you have no reason for an aux battery, why not just get a better isolator?

R

Reloder28

Oct 21, 2018
Deer Park, Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
The isolator does not allow my lighting to “come in” until some delay, usually about 30 seconds. Even if it is only vexing & not critical, I still am considering deleting the factory battery.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With limited information, I was thinking about how you could have a lighting delay.

My first take is that your aux battery is draining dead, and it takes 30 seconds after you're up and running to get it juiced up.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure you can remove the main battery!
How would you startbyour machine? The isolator should be (open) after you turn off your machine.
I think we need more info to be able to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The isolator does not allow my lighting to “come in” until some delay, usually about 30 seconds. Even if it is only vexing & not critical, I still am considering deleting the factory battery.
Your "lighting" doesn't come on for ~30 seconds? What lighting? Like all your light bars and other accessories? If so, then it's likely not the isolator.

Either your electrical isn't properly wired up (anything connected to or after the AUX battery should power up as soon as you turn the key on, assuming you have it wired to key-on power like like most do) OR you have a dead AUX battery. Almost sounds like the latter.

The light "comes on" (connects the two batteries in parallel) when the source charging voltage is above 13.6V. It shuts off "disconnects the parallel circuit" when source voltage falls below 12.9V. There is also a built-in 10 second delay when the isolator connects or disconnects the two batteries.

If your primary battery is just below the cutoff voltage BEFORE you start the vehicle, the batteries will be isolated (not connected). Once you start it, the charging system pushes the primary side of circuit over 13.6V, which connects the batteries. If your AUX battery is dead BEFORE you start the vehicle, anything connected to it won't energize until AFTER the primary source starts charging (not including the 10 second delay).

Again, if your "lighting" means accessories and such and they aren't coming on for a short time after you START your bike, it sounds like that AUX battery is dead.

Assuming the rest of the electrical system is in good shape, a properly wired isolator works the same in your bike as everyone else's.

As for your question about "any reason to keep a dual battery setup": Yes, lots of reasons. The most important reason is that, if wired properly, the isolator protects you from running down your primary battery (while listening to the radio or running your lights or accessories when the key is off if so wired or by heavy winching even when the bike is running) so you don't get stranded because you can't start your machine. That's really THE point of an isolator in a dual (or multiple) battery system.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Get rid of the second battery if you have no need for it. I've been running one car sized battery in my 700 since it was new without any issuses. We don't go out in the woods and play tunes and have lights on without the machine running, I do have a large driveway and live in NH so Ive been known to go out and plow snow (using the winch to raise/lower the plow) and have the heater on for hours on end and never got close to running the battery down. I prefer the single battery also just because there are fewer parts to fail out in the middle of no where

Reactions: Buggyman and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Get rid of the second battery if you have no need for it. I've been running one car sized battery in my 700 since it was new without any issuses. We don't go out in the woods and play tunes and have lights on without the machine running, I do have a large driveway and live in NH so Ive been known to go out and plow snow (using the winch to raise/lower the plow) and have the heater on for hours on end and never got close to running the battery down. I prefer the single battery also just because there are fewer parts to fail out in the middle of no where
All good points.

Although I would counter with "If you're out in the middle of nowhere and your single battery goes dead, you don't have another battery to get you home -- whether it's your primary because your AUX went bad, or because your primary went bad and you use your AUX to jump start.

Again, it's all about need, what you do with your machine and how close you are to civilization or assistance.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not sure you can remove the main battery!
How would you startbyour machine? The isolator should be (open) after you turn off your machine.
I think we need more info to be able to assist you in trouble shooting your problem.
Actually just for a, FYI incase people didnt know, you can set it up to run main or auxiliary or both but that is another story. This is not meant to be derogatory in any way, just for informative purposes

Last edited:
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't think the isolator is the issue. Agree with one of the above post about second battery being drained somehow. With you already having duel set up I cant think of a reason to not have it

R

Reloder28

Oct 21, 2018
Deer Park, Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will take all of this under advisement and do some deeper troubleshooting before making any permanent adjustments. Yes, all of my auxiliary lighting, all switched with the key.

R

Reloder28

Oct 21, 2018
Deer Park, Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2
Either your electrical isn't properly wired up (anything connected to or after the AUX battery should power up as soon as you turn the key on, assuming you have it wired to key-on power like like most do) OR, YOU HAVE A DEAD AUX BATTERY. Almost sounds like the latter.
UPDATE:
Ran a parasitic key on/key off amp draw on the system and found none. Zero amps with key off, .05 amps with key on. In my getting older mind I was convinced the auxiliary battery was all but new. Not only is it over two years old but, it was dry as a bone. I don't know if it was near dry when I purchased it or not, could have been. I keep the machine on a two bank battery tender when parked for any period more than two weeks. The tender reads 13.65v output at all times. When I pulled it off the dry battery, the battery voltage would steadily drop and level off at +/- 9.25v. Once refilled it began bubbling. So, maybe I can resurrect it. We'll see. It is a Marine RV Deep Cycle.

And, you are correct, the isolator is performing its task quite well. I remember a couple of recent starts, key on & wait for the dash lights to cycle, the dual voltmeter read 14.4v (normal reading with engine running) for the Honda original battery & 5v on the auxiliary which I cautiously dismissed. As expected, it did rear its ugly head, the reason for my inquiry here.

I appreciate everyones input.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
UPDATE:
Ran a parasitic key on/key off amp draw on the system and found none. Zero amps with key off, .05 amps with key on. In my getting older mind I was convinced the auxiliary battery was all but new. Not only is it over two years old but, it was dry as a bone. I don't know if it was near dry when I purchased it or not, could have been. I keep the machine on a two bank battery tender when parked for any period more than two weeks. The tender reads 13.65v output at all times. When I pulled it off the dry battery, the battery voltage would steadily drop and level off at +/- 9.25v. Once refilled it began bubbling. So, maybe I can resurrect it. We'll see. It is a Marine RV Deep Cycle.

And, you are correct, the isolator is performing its task quite well. I remember a couple of recent starts, key on & wait for the dash lights to cycle, the dual voltmeter read 14.4v (normal reading with engine running) for the Honda original battery & 5v on the auxiliary which I cautiously dismissed. As expected, it did rear its ugly head, the reason for my inquiry here.

I appreciate everyones input.
Glad you got it all sorted.

As for the AUX battery: Over 2 years old and dry as a bone for some time? Unless it says "JESUS" on the side, I doubt you're going to be able to fully resurrect that one. Personally, I'd replace it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!