P1000 Reset the DCT Clutch / Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure Pioneer 1000 / Talon 1000

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure Fox will be pretty soon I'm waiting for those they were very good in the 700. May not be in time for you. It's not horrible that you're forced to change them the fronts just aren't very good. Are you planning on changing the levelers too?

Sent from iPhone
I'm just going to do the front for now. I don't really have a problem with the rear. I'm sure that once I see the difference in the front I'll probably want to do the rear, but I do like the levelers. Maybe Santa will bring me some if I'm good. Nevermind, that isn't going to happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok, any of you that read my intial problems with the machine not displaying the correct drive mode, etc.... those have all been fixed. I did the ajustment a couple of times and drove it like it should be driven. What didn't get resolved is both the AT and MT indicators have remained lit. The machine is performing flawlessly but this annoys the crap out of me. After reading this post again today I realized that maybe I need to do this procedure.

Well, it doesn't work for me. I can never get the display to flash "-", and I cant get the AT and MT indicators to extinguish. Do I need to adjust the shift cable? I've adjusted the drive mode cable, but not the shift cable.

I truly love this machine but these little BS things are pissing me off. Now I find the front left shock leaking all over my garage floor... grrr. I have two hunting trips coming up. One this weekend and one next weekend. I can deal with the AT/MT display issue, but a leaking shock isn't good for where I go.

I've challenged my 2004 Rancher and previously owned 2005 Rincon much more than what I've asked this machine to do and neither failed me. Honda really dropped the ball on this machine. Walker Evans is in my future. It's sad that Honda didn't think through their flagship SxS.
You have to follow the process EXACTLY , give it 95% effort per the directions it doesn't reset. Precision counts for this to work.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to follow the process EXACTLY , give it 95% effort per the directions it doesn't reset. Precision counts for this to work.

I did it exactly, just not fast enough. I'm getting slow in my old age... lol. It's all good now thanks to @Bayouownbeer. It worked perfectly the first time doing it fast. I guess it's like programming a remote for a vehicle.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm just going to do the front for now. I don't really have a problem with the rear. I'm sure that once I see the difference in the front I'll probably want to do the rear, but I do like the levelers. Maybe Santa will bring me some if I'm good. Nevermind, that isn't going to happen

I would like a set of levellers . I don't have them as I have a P3. Possibly could make a deal with someone who wants to change the rears out.

Reactions: Biteme
J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
so I have experienced the shifting into 3rd challenges, and decided to follow the reset clutch program. I am successful in getting the pcm to learn, but get the 1/2 second - light each time I do this. I have started back at step 2, for 5x now, and cannot get the mt at lights to go out successfully. I have unplugged the batt and started over with the same results. Any suggestions?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so I have experienced the shifting into 3rd challenges, and decided to follow the reset clutch program. I am successful in getting the pcm to learn, but get the 1/2 second - light each time I do this. I have started back at step 2, for 5x now, and cannot get the mt at lights to go out successfully. I have unplugged the batt and started over with the same results. Any suggestions?

Just so I understand what you are saying, do steps 13 and 15 work, or does the does the "-" just blink? You might need to do the procedure faster. I had the same problem at first, until I did it really fast.

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
Just so I understand what you are saying, do steps 13 and 15 work, or does the does the "-" just blink? You might need to do the procedure faster. I had the same problem at first, until I did it really fast.
I get to this section
· "If the “-“ starts blinking at an interval of ½ second, the clutch learning is unsuccessful. Perform the process again starting at Step 1"
Unfortunately starting over 10x times ends up with the same fast blinking - light at 1/2 second. I tried to disconnect both batteries for 5 min to reset the pcm, tried it with only one batt to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get to this section
· "If the “-“ starts blinking at an interval of ½ second, the clutch learning is unsuccessful. Perform the process again starting at Step 1"
Unfortunately starting over 10x times ends up with the same fast blinking - light at 1/2 second. I tried to disconnect both batteries for 5 min to reset the pcm, tried it with only one batt to make sure it wasn't a wiring issue.

Does the "-" on the gear position indicator, the "MT" indicator and the "AT" indicator disappear after starting it in step 13? If not, then I believe you might not be doing the procedure fast enough. The part that needs to be really fast is the accelerator pedal. If you are pressing it and holding it for more than a second that will cause this procedure to fail.

If that doesn't help I'm not sure what to tell you.

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
the "-" indicating that it is learning mode flashing every 2 seconds lasts for 60 seconds when at idle, then flashes "-" every 1/2 second and the "MT" "AT" stays lit after turning off and restarting.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
the "-" indicating that it is learning mode flashing every 2 seconds lasts for 60 seconds when at idle, then flashes "-" every 1/2 second and the "MT" "AT" stays lit after turning off and restarting.

That's a new one for me. Hopefully someone else here will have some input.

Reactions: Biteme and jamday
J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
Now when I go through a cold startup, the small u is displayed on the gear selector, indicating the clutch learning process must be performed. I can get to this process easily now with going through the steps quickly, but the results have not changed. Each time it fails, displays the dash mark in the gear selection area blinking quickly, and the AT/MT indicators never disappear. Restart the process, and go through each step again.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now when I go through a cold startup, the small u is displayed on the gear selector, indicating the clutch learning process must be performed. I can get to this process easily now with going through the steps quickly, but the results have not changed. Each time it fails, displays the dash mark in the gear selection area blinking quickly, and the AT/MT indicators never disappear. Restart the process, and go through each step again.

The small "u" indicates low oil temperature, which means the machine isn't warmed up enough to do the procedure. Let me see if I can get some smart minds on this.

@Bayouownbeer @CumminsPusher @joeymt33 @Hondasxs Any thoughts on this? Start at post #26.

Reactions: Biteme and JACKAL
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You've got to do this procedure at a really quick pace. Check your grounds really well. Check oil level. That's all I've got. When I've performed this everything went smoothly but learned fast you've got to blaze through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme and AKRider
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The small "u" indicates low oil temperature, which means the machine isn't warmed up enough to do the procedure. Let me see if I can get some smart minds on this.

@Bayouownbeer @CumminsPusher @joeymt33 @Hondasxs Any thoughts on this? Start at post #26.

Try reading, then rereading the first post with instructions. It specifically says how much to warm up the engine and do the reset. fiddle around too London and it doesn't complete, do this a few times and the oil cools off too much.

It works if directions are followed 100%. Give it 99.5% and you will be posting questions on here.

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
Try reading, then rereading the first post with instructions. It specifically says how much to warm up the engine and do the reset. fiddle around too London and it doesn't complete, do this a few times and the oil cools off too much.

It works if directions are followed 100%. Give it 99.5% and you will be posting questions on here.
I am 100% successful in completing steps 2-14. At the end of this process, and as noted in the steps
"If the “-“ starts blinking at an interval of ½ second, the clutch learning is unsuccessful. Perform the process again starting at Step 1."
"· If both the “MT” & “AT” indicator are displayed, the clutch initialize learning is not complete."

I start back at step 1, and complete each step again.
I was surprised early this AM with a cold UTV after being unsuccessful last evening in completing the learning process, that when I started the Pioneer, in the gear selection area, it displayed a small "u". The "MT" and "AT" indicators were still displayed, so I know that I was not successful.

Step 16: Punt, and try again is where I am at now.
I have checked the oil level for the sub-trans and engine.
I have disconnected the battery(s) for over 5 minutes to reset the PCM. I will leave this disconnected longer to see if this variable changes the results.
I have disconnected all of the aftermarket accessories, switches, True Battery Isolator, 2nd battery, checked the ground on the sub-trans.
I cannot locate any reasons why the learning procedure may fail, but tried to use logic to determine the possibilities. I would have never started this if I was not experiencing issues with 1000-5 engaging 3rd gear, and 5th, though 3rd is much more noticeable as I seem to use it more frequent than 5th. During WOT, 3rd engages much quicker and does not lag for a few seconds as when a partial pedal is used.

I am confident that it is something that I am doing wrong, but too close to see what I am doing incorrectly.
I will also take it on a few miles tonight before I try it again, to warm up the oil.

Really appreciate all of the help and suggestions by you and the other contributors here.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am 100% successful in completing steps 2-14. At the end of this process, and as noted in the steps
"If the “-“ starts blinking at an interval of ½ second, the clutch learning is unsuccessful. Perform the process again starting at Step 1."
"· If both the “MT” & “AT” indicator are displayed, the clutch initialize learning is not complete."

I start back at step 1, and complete each step again.
I was surprised early this AM with a cold UTV after being unsuccessful last evening in completing the learning process, that when I started the Pioneer, in the gear selection area, it displayed a small "u". The "MT" and "AT" indicators were still displayed, so I know that I was not successful.

Step 16: Punt, and try again is where I am at now.
I have checked the oil level for the sub-trans and engine.
I have disconnected the battery(s) for over 5 minutes to reset the PCM. I will leave this disconnected longer to see if this variable changes the results.
I have disconnected all of the aftermarket accessories, switches, True Battery Isolator, 2nd battery, checked the ground on the sub-trans.
I cannot locate any reasons why the learning procedure may fail, but tried to use logic to determine the possibilities. I would have never started this if I was not experiencing issues with 1000-5 engaging 3rd gear, and 5th, though 3rd is much more noticeable as I seem to use it more frequent than 5th. During WOT, 3rd engages much quicker and does not lag for a few seconds as when a partial pedal is used.

I am confident that it is something that I am doing wrong, but too close to see what I am doing incorrectly.
I will also take it on a few miles tonight before I try it again, to warm up the oil.

Really appreciate all of the help and suggestions by you and the other contributors here.
It is the oil temp not the level that is the key, it has to be warm enough WITHOUT the cooling fan running with the key on and engine off.

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
It is the oil temp not the level that is the key, it has to be warm enough WITHOUT the cooling fan running with the key on and engine off.
Oil Temp Warm, started with Step 1. Result:

J

jamday

Apr 22, 2016
GA
unplugged battery for 2.5 hours. Started it up, ran it for 15 minutes to get it warm. Restarted at step 1. Only difference, dash clock reset, but the plagued fast illuminating "-" appeared after 70 seconds.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
unplugged battery for 2.5 hours. Started it up, ran it for 15 minutes to get it warm. Restarted at step 1. Only difference, dash clock reset, but the plagued fast illuminating "-" appeared after 70 seconds.

I hate to say this but it's starting to sound like a dealer is in your future.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!