BOX1

Talon Reverse issue. Not wanting to engage

I

iloehr99

Feb 27, 2016
Southern Indiana
Here is a video of the sound in reverse. I thought it was shifting but after i think about it, it has been getting progressivly worse until it puked. And I don't think the talon or pioneer shifts while in reverse.
That is how mine would act before it got really bad. It would fully engage and not pop until moving a bit of distance. Mine has since started to do it every once in awhile again. I am guessing next winter I'll be pulling it out again and putting the updated parts in it. Maybe by then it will be a recall deal, but I highly doubt it.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I found a local dealer that has done a few sub transmissions.

They said it wasn't a common repair, but they have done a few and they get good reviews from some people I know.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I found a local dealer that has done a few sub transmissions.

They said it wasn't a common repair,
but they have done a few and they get good reviews from some people I know.
Isn't that an oxymoron? :)

What constitutes "common" when it comes to engines/transmissions/sub-transmissions? They shouldn't have to repair any of that at all under normal use at all in my opinion. "A few" is a few too many!

And I call BS on any dealer saying things like that. Every time I visit my dealer, they have one on the bench in some stage of rebuild.

Same goes with the front seals and drive shafts. Dealers claiming they never heard of such problems are hiding something.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm not really sure. They seemed to have a lot of confidence in the tech's in the shop which made me feel good about them. They said I could bring it in right away so they could fix it and get me back on the trail. So maybe they just wanted to "dress up" the problem.

I do see at least 30 polaris/belt drives to any Honda I ever see up here. That could be part of it. 🤷‍♂️

The first dealer I went to didn't believe me at all that the sub tranny was bad, so they are out. 2 small shops around here didn't want to tackle this job.

Most people I know around here only hunt with their utv/atv. It's not unusual to see a 10 year old machine with 1000 miles or less on it.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
IMG 6178
lol - try 20+ years old, barn find, for a couple of hundred a few years back, original tires, goes into reverse without braking, shift with foot, air cooled, simple carb, bulletproof transfer case with diff lock, has never let me down

IMG 6178

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I just saw this post, to anyone doing it themselves. I dont remove any interior pieces, just peel back the rear firewall half behind the drivers seat to get tot he studs and everything else can be done from underneath.

Slide the diff forward (remove both driveshaft hoops) and it'll drop out the bottom.
@Hondasxs

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, the reverse gear is broke. While in there they would like to update to the new shift star and shaft. A few other parts are broken internally because teeth stripped off the reverse gear and got jammed in between some important parts.

Yee Haw. Maybe I should have fixed it before it blew up......

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: CID and Smitty335
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well, the reverse gear is broke. While in there they would like to update to the new shift star and shaft. A few other parts are broken internally because teeth stripped off the reverse gear and got jammed in between some important parts.

Yee Haw. Maybe I should have fixed it before it blew up......
Be glad they know about the shift star and shaft = street cred. :cool:

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!