BOX1

P700 Reverse light works

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got the reverse light hooked up. Works great. Probably easiest mod so far. Had a pair of old fog lights laying around. Made new harness for one of them with inline fuse. Hooked it up to the factory plug on the passenger side under the bed, along the frame rail. Not as bright as a new led light, but works for my needs.

BDF8136A 59CE 41A9 BEBB 0895C409C2E0 E8F43042 CF34 4950 8B84 D75939CE449B

B

BiggenF15

Jul 30, 2018
Panama City, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you use the wiring for the backup alarm? I'm trying to wire a reverse light on my 700-2 and I can't find that wire. Is this where I should be looking? This picture is taken from the left side of the engine bay looking over the top of the airbox at the back of the passenger seat.

IMG 2692

This is a closeup of the two plugs in that area. I thought it might be the front one, but that's plugged into something so that's probably not it.

IMG 2693

This is a view of those switches from the passenger side of the machine:

IMG 2688

IMG 2689
I also found this wire that isn't connected to anything - any idea what that is?

IMG 2687

I'm sorry for all the mud on the machine. I'd be glad to wash it thoroughly and provide any pictures I can if it will help someone guide me to the correct connection.

M

Mothman350

Oct 11, 2018
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you use the wiring for the backup alarm? I'm trying to wire a reverse light on my 700-2 and I can't find that wire. Is this where I should be looking? This picture is taken from the left side of the engine bay looking over the top of the airbox at the back of the passenger seat.

View attachment 91948

This is a closeup of the two plugs in that area. I thought it might be the front one, but that's plugged into something so that's probably not it.

View attachment 91949

View attachment 91961

View attachment 91950
I also found this wire that isn't connected to anything - any idea what that is?

View attachment 91951

I'm sorry for all the mud on the machine. I'd be glad to wash it thoroughly and provide any pictures I can if it will help someone guide me to the correct connection.
There should be Grey wire coming out of one of the plugs that is the reverse sensor wire it only comes negative when in reverse. I hooked the positive to positive on tail light that way reverse light only comes on when have headlights on

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 91948

View attachment 91949

View attachment 91961

View attachment 91950

View attachment 91951

There is a small plug only 2 wires go into it. on pass side along frame rail. Can’t tell in pics. There is a dummy plug plugged into it. I can get you pic of mine tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 3748

If you can get all the mud off your machine, most of us would like you to provide pictures about how to do that!

Reactions: Todd627
B

BiggenF15

Jul 30, 2018
Panama City, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will post pics tomorrow of plug location and how I hooked it up, its really simple

Here is a very closeup view
IMG 2694
of the front switch of the two pictured above. It's hard to see in the picture but the middle wire is grey. It's not a dummy switch - the wires come from the front of the machine (3 wires, same color) go into the bottom of that plug, then out of the plug they run across the engine into the crankcase on the opposite side below the carburetor.

I found the thread by slowdryrider after I posted this yesterday. This looks like the plug he used but in the picture it looks like wires go into the plug he used but no wires come out.

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here is a very closeup view View attachment 92030 of the front switch of the two pictured above. It's hard to see in the picture but the middle wire is grey. It's not a dummy switch - the wires come from the front of the machine (3 wires, same color) go into the bottom of that plug, then out of the plug they run across the engine into the crankcase on the opposite side below the carburetor.

I found the thread by slowdryrider after I posted this yesterday. This looks like the plug he used but in the picture it looks like wires go into the plug he used but no wires come out.
Here is 2 pics of my wire harness. The plug coming out of the harness has 2 wires. Black/white and a grey. There is a dummy (blank) connector going into it from the factory. I pulled out the blank stuck my reverse light wires into it and stuck it back into the plug.

CC9D2C95 9B5F 4B06 BB27 1E28DB36DED5 F4DD1F41 4AC1 441C 8D34 E26BC49E0F0E

Reactions: Visual
B

BiggenF15

Jul 30, 2018
Panama City, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here is 2 pics of my wire harness. The plug coming out of the harness has 2 wires. Black/white and a grey. There is a dummy (blank) connector going into it from the factory. I pulled out the blank stuck my reverse light wires into it and stuck it back into the plug.

View attachment 92069 View attachment 92070

Thanks for the info and picture. At this point I think I must be looking at the wrong wires. Is that their original location to did you move that connection?

What year is your machine?

Reactions: Sheepdog
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info and picture. At this point I think I must be looking at the wrong wires. Is that their original location to did you move that connection?

What year is your machine?
I didn’t move the harness. It’s a 2017.

B

BiggenF15

Jul 30, 2018
Panama City, FL
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn’t move the harness. It’s a 2017.

I took a look at a new machine at a dealer and it was just like yours. I guess they changed things to make it easier for people to do this - it's not nearly so simple on older machines.

Reactions: Sheepdog
Visual

Visual

Nov 16, 2020
Great Lake State
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great little mod! Thanks for sharing. And, as a note, this connector and wire colors are exactly what's shown in my Service Manual for '16 and after.

Coincidentally I am doing the same thing with a 6" flood LED light I picked up from Harbor Freight for $28 and one of the 44mm Honda bar mounts and placing under the bed next to muffler on the body tube.

If anyone is interested, this site has very nice OEM connectors if you're like me, and like to retain that factory look and functionality. These are watertight and provide a very clean install method. Add some shrink tubing around the connector and wires, throw it in some wire loom, and no one will know it wasn't supposed to be there from Japan! ;-)

Reactions: Smitty335
N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 2021. 700. 2 deluxe. I think I might have seen something in the manual that shows the plug for a back up alarm. I’ll have to look again.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!