Reverse overhaul

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So im pretty sure my reverse gear is shot, im planning on pulling the subtrans and changing everything to do with reverse, from my understanding its just a couple parts (not a professional so i may be wrong) anybody have a parts list for me? Also, I know there is many videos and posts out there that explain the adjustments but i cant seem too find one that specifically focuses on reverse. Can anybody tell me how to adjust it? Im going to try that first to see if it fixes it but im not too optimistic about it. When i put it into reverse and makes a really fast clanking as if the reverse dogs or either wore or just not engaging enough, it will engage and disengage a couple times while accelerating. Once it does that and it engages reverse works flawlessly. P1K

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So im pretty sure my reverse gear is shot, im planning on pulling the subtrans and changing everything to do with reverse, from my understanding its just a couple parts (not a professional so i may be wrong) anybody have a parts list for me? Also, I know there is many videos and posts out there that explain the adjustments but i cant seem too find one that specifically focuses on reverse. Can anybody tell me how to adjust it? Im going to try that first to see if it fixes it but im not too optimistic about it. When i put it into reverse and makes a really fast clanking as if the reverse dogs or either wore or just not engaging enough, it will engage and disengage a couple times while accelerating. Once it does that and it engages reverse works flawlessly. P1K
I believe there is a thread or two about changing P1K reverse to the Talon reverse gears. Try a search for “Talon reverse gear”

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is one thread...

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This might be a better how to thread for you...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Once you're at the clattering sound, no adjustment is going to fix it. The dogs are shot. I am surprised you can still get it to engage. You say you're gassing it through the clanking sound and it'll catch? Never heard of that...

Anyway, the sub-transmission service thread linked above has all the info you need. Read through the instructions before starting, it'll help you with a few things.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do the 2022 parts in the pioneer fix this issue?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Do the 2022 parts in the pioneer fix this issue?
They're reported to help BUT - any transmission using shift dogs depends on basic mechanical knowledge and mechanical sympathy. The first post in the New Talon Owners thread (linked in my sig), shows shift dogs and tries to explain the potential problems. We simply cannot bang between High, Low and Reverse without liability. Post #139 adds a few more details including the following video.

This is a good animated video showing the shift dog functions and our constant mesh transmissions. Note this is for a motorcycle transmission, doesn't cover our sub trans but that also uses shift dogs. It also doesn't show where/how our dual clutches fit into the equation.

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Once you're at the clattering sound, no adjustment is going to fix it. The dogs are shot. I am surprised you can still get it to engage. You say you're gassing it through the clanking sound and it'll catch? Never heard of that...

Anyway, the sub-transmission service thread linked above has all the info you need. Read through the instructions before starting, it'll help you with a few things.
On e i put it in reverse it makes that clattering noise, when i touch the accelerator and give it a bump it engages. I then back up a little bit and it will fall out and reengage then good to go lol, i will definately be going through the sub trans and changing all parts needed. Just thought it was funny because i “kinda” still have reverse. Im sure before too long it will get too the point where the dogs dont engage at all just keep clattering.

Reactions: Smittyp and toddvdh
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
On e i put it in reverse it makes that clattering noise, when i touch the accelerator and give it a bump it engages. I then back up a little bit and it will fall out and reengage then good to go lol, i will definately be going through the sub trans and changing all parts needed. Just thought it was funny because i “kinda” still have reverse. Im sure before too long it will get too the point where the dogs dont engage at all just keep clattering.
That's confusing, thinking I know how shift dogs work - once the corners start chipping off, there's nothing to 'engage'. That yours is able to chatter 'for awhile' and then solidly engage is weird.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It is a little weird but mine did that for a couple rides before it stopped engaging at all.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol i thought the same thing, since making this post it is progressively getting worse each time it seems, im sure i got maybe one or two more times to back her up then its shot🤷🏻‍♂️

• Sad
Reactions: toddvdh and CID
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I had mine rebuilt with the updated rod and shift star. (Not sure what was all updated in 2022)

The good news is now it shifts firm and locks into every gear. Even low is easy with the factory shift plate.

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had mine rebuilt with the updated rod and shift star. (Not sure what was all updated in 2022)

The good news is now it shifts firm and locks into every gear. Even low is easy with the factory shift plate.
If you dont mind me asking, what was the cost from start too finish?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!