Reverse

J

Jeff Z

Oct 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon X
My 2019 talon x
Pops in and out of gear with absolutley no load just normal backing up.
Any thoughts if it the shifter linkage? Feels more like a internal tranny problem?

Reactions: TxDoc
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Is it reverse and low? Does it do it in high at all? Unfortunately this is a common problem, usually caused by shifter linkage out of adjustment or hitting gas when not fully engaged. Ears that engage get rounded or damaged and typically effects low gear. Try adjusting cable first and always make sure it shows gear on display before attempting to move. Aftermarket has also came out with modified shift gate that give shifter more room to ensure engagement.

If under warranty, I would get in to dealer. If not and cannot correct by cable adjustment, you will need work done to the subtrans. Adam Brown on facebook rebuilds them with updated parts from honda for $350 plus shipping.

Obviously honda knows of the issue due to the updated parts but no recall which is disappointing. I can tell my gear warn but has not failed. I did find switching to Royal Purple in the subtrans made shifting smoother.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hmm. Havent heard of just the reverse. Have you checked cable adjustment? Put in nuetral, the play forward and back should be even in the shiftgate. Beyond that I don't know what to say.

Reactions: Blownzuki
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How many miles? Are you the original owner? If so, does it have a history of the 'shift -bang' - a loud mechanical clunk/crunch when changing gears and then applying throttle (usually into Low range).

J

Jeff Z

Oct 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes original owner 2019 1100 miles...no problems in forward at all.. found a YouTube video with another talon with same issue ..he installed a new subtrans...ugg...not looking forward to that.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
He must have found a used unit, there are only 3 parts that might need replacement - reverse gear and the shift dog it engages and it might need a shift fork. Note that I’ve never been in mine, this is just me thinking I have an idea what’s in there. Someone who’s actually been inside the sub trans will have to fill in the real facts.

Reactions: Blownzuki
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out my thread on replacing my reverse gears.

There's a video somewhere in there of the sounds when reverse is shot.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!