Revese backlash

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Hey guys, I made a mistake and messed up the reverse in my pioneer. It makes some clacking noises then will finally engage. I understand I've more than likely damaged the reverse shift fork or dawg. My dealer quoted at least $2,500 so that's not an option. I consider myself a good mechanic so I don't think I'll have a problem. My question is what all is necessary to remove to get to this part and what all parts are recommended with this repair? I do have a repair manual but it's hard to determine what is actually necessary and whats not. I know with working on jet skis there are always tricks and tips that make big jobs a little easier.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Casey

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc
H

HondaTech

If it is the reverse dog/fork in the sub trans its not a big deal.

The sub trans can be removed by pulling the diff foward, dropping the skid plate and cables/harnesses.

Then the sub trans can unbolt and drop out of the bottom.

You could assemble and entire sub trans, case and all for under $2500, installed.

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
If it is the reverse dog/fork in the sub trans its not a big deal.

The sub trans can be removed by pulling the diff foward, dropping the skid plate and cables/harnesses.

Then the sub trans can unbolt and drop out of the bottom.

You could assemble and entire sub trans, case and all for under $2500, installed.
Ok thanks, does the problem I mention sound like the fork/dog to you? As mentioned when I shift into reverse, it will jump in and out then finally engage. After that it works perfect.

H

HondaTech

Does/has the unit ever crept in gear?

How long has it been grinding in gear?

It could just need a cable adjustment.

C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Well this happened when myself and my boys were trying to sneak up on a friend and while rolling about 40 I tried to push the shifter into neutral to coast and pushed it too far and it grinded terribly! That was in Sept and I've just been so busy I haven't been able to work on it. I still use it regularly but just shift into reverse and allow the bike to ease into reverse. Sometimes it goes right in, but most time it pops a couple times.
I suppose it could be adjusted but I always assume the worse with my kind of luck.

H

HondaTech

Its possible it knocked a ear bad enough to cause it to skip going into gear.

Maybe drain the oil and look for metal filings in the oil.

Reactions: TripleB
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Ok I'll drain oil and look for metal. Are you thinking if no metal in oil, then could possibly just need adjusting?

H

HondaTech

You could start with and adjustment per the manual.

If that doesn't do anything, then I'd go for a teardown.

Reactions: TripleB
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
You could start with and adjustment per the manual.

If that doesn't do anything, then I'd go for a teardown.
Ok the only adjustment I found in the manual was to eliminate free play in shifter and I didn't really have any. I may have missed stunting else. So I removed the sub transmission and removed the cover and can't see any visible issues nor was there any metal in oil. Could this issue be in the transmission? I certainly hope not! The only issue is reverse and once it goes in its good. I would love to talk to you if you have a moment. I'll be glad to pay you for your time.
Thanks,
Casey

Reactions: Mudwing and TripleB
C

cjburt22

Mar 7, 2018
Enterprise, MS
Ok I investigated further and found the issue. I did find metal shavings in the case then found the edges cooked off on the 2 reverse gears. My question is now, would you like to replace those gears if I shipped it to you? I would prefer it to be done properly. I think I could but I know you can, lol. Please let me know and message me your details if your willing. Dc54e2f2989f7c65ca10a6e31924a5c55cbe3f47716f2e85b082cbca0e9578f1382e1fb7791c63d617a3f41154c5d06e

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!