• Thread starter KeithinLouisiana
  • Start date
K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
There haven’t been many P700 reviews for a while so I thought we needed one. I have had mine for a few months and have about 150 miles on it. I should also say that I have driven my son in laws P1000-5 in the same area for over 100 miles. I should say that I am not able to discuss how it may run at high altitude since I live in flat Louisiana.

I have used this on the island at Raccourci Old River, which is about 30 miles north of Baton Rouge on the west side of the Mississippi River and inside the levees. The island was underwater from right after Christmas 2018 until early August 2019. An all time record time for the island to be underwater. I went with 3 friends to work on a damaged hunting camp on the island that floats during a flood. They all have P1000s. Knowing how muddy the trails would be they didn’t really think I could make it back to the camp without some help. Why don’t I follow behind and let them pick the lines through the mud. OK no problem. When I didn’t get stuck getting to the camp they were surprised. On the way back they wanted me to lead thinking that would be a challenge the P700 would wouldn’t be able to handle. Wrong. They all commented they were surprised at what the P700 could do. Is it as fast as the P1000? No. Can it climb a steep 40 foot high levee. Yes. Is it good in the deep gumbo mud? Absolutely.
In one respect I like it better than the P1000. When most of the riding is under 15 mph it shifts gears far fewer times. It just doesn’t seem as busy. This is not a dig on the P1000 because I like it. If you need to go faster than 45 then you need it. If the terrain is super steep or at high altitude you might need it. But I think a lot of people just default to it because they want the most power they can get in a Honda UTV. That’s kind of sad as the P700 would work well for a lot of the people that never even try it. It’s really under appreciated by many. I am really happy with my decision on the P700. It’s a great sxs.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There haven’t been many P700 reviews for a while so I thought we needed one. I have had mine for a few months and have about 150 miles on it. I should also say that I have driven my son in laws P1000-5 in the same area for over 100 miles. I should say that I am not able to discuss how it may run at high altitude since I live in flat Louisiana.

I have used this on the island at Raccourci Old River, which is about 30 miles north of Baton Rouge on the west side of the Mississippi River and inside the levees. The island was underwater from right after Christmas 2018 until early August 2019. An all time record time for the island to be underwater. I went with 3 friends to work on a damaged hunting camp on the island that floats during a flood. They all have P1000s. Knowing how muddy the trails would be they didn’t really think I could make it back to the camp without some help. Why don’t I follow behind and let them pick the lines through the mud. OK no problem. When I didn’t get stuck getting to the camp they were surprised. On the way back they wanted me to lead thinking that would be a challenge the P700 would wouldn’t be able to handle. Wrong. They all commented they were surprised at what the P700 could do. Is it as fast as the P1000? No. Can it climb a steep 40 foot high levee. Yes. Is it good in the deep gumbo mud? Absolutely.
In one respect I like it better than the P1000. When most of the riding is under 15 mph it shifts gears far fewer times. It just doesn’t seem as busy. This is not a dig on the P1000 because I like it. If you need to go faster than 45 then you need it. If the terrain is super steep or at high altitude you might need it. But I think a lot of people just default to it because they want the most power they can get in a Honda UTV. That’s kind of sad as the P700 would work well for a lot of the people that never even try it. It’s really under appreciated by many. I am really happy with my decision on the P700. It’s a great sxs.
The 700 is a great machine, I loved mine. I only upgraded because at high altitudes I wanted more power.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
biggest thorn in the 700s side is the lack of gears. thats what throws alot of people away from it. i wish they would revamp it and add a 5 speed or 6 speed to it or a high /low.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
biggest thorn in the 700s side is the lack of gears. thats what throws alot of people away from it. i wish they would revamp it and add a 5 speed or 6 speed to it or a high /low.

It don’t need a low, it just needs the P5 gear box!

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
either or. if they put a sub trans with 2:1 low high. with current gears being high range. id be 1 happy camper.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
either or. if they put a sub trans with 2:1 low high. with current gears being high range. id be 1 happy camper.

I agree Alan, the sub trans in my 1000 is nice! If I had that in my 700 I’d still have it.

Reactions: Mudwing
K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a question. Is the desire for more gears a WANT or a NEED at lower altitudes? I certainly get the desire for more gearing or power at high altitudes. The 700 has done everything I have asked it to do well at lower altitude. Except for going fast, what was it not able to do at lower altitude? I'm curious. I like the simplicity, less busy feeling and reliability of the 3 speed. Just curious.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a question. Is the desire for more gears a WANT or a NEED at lower altitudes? I certainly get the desire for more gearing or power at high altitudes. The 700 has done everything I have asked it to do well at lower altitude. Except for going fast, what was it not able to do at lower altitude? I'm curious. I like the simplicity, less busy feeling and reliability of the 3 speed. Just curious.
In my opinion it’s at high altitude for me, at home my 700 would spin the tires and never ran out of power.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!