Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thought I would do a write up using pictures from an earlier trip where I spent 3 weeks riding the Paiute Trail system in Central Utah, covered nearly 1600 miles in 16 days of riding, an easy day was 80 miles the longer ones nearly 170 miles. Average speeds are much faster than East of the Mississippi River due to the sheer vastness typical trail speed of 12 mph in mountains then 35 mph on Forestry Service roads connecting the trails. I seriously believe you could spend a month here and not get off the 2200 mile system of side trails. Not only is there the vast beauty but many old mining camps preserved to check out, historical Indian museum of Freemont & Paiute Indian all accessible legally from trail system.

Elevations runs from 6,000 feet to over 12,000 feet on the trails and There are well maintained restroom along the main trail by the forestry service.

The main trail has no width restriction for UTV but there are specific sections limited to 60" or less and 50" or less these side trails are a delight for P500 owners, not if you are running wider offset wheels 4+3 measure before you plan these gates are with 1" of the width max and they will not budge and there is no immediate way around, but there is always a way around for larger vehicles, just not the same scenery.

Exploring the Paiute ATV Trail

The trail is designed to provide an enjoyable recreational ride through fantastic scenery. The trail was formed by connecting old roads and trails crossing the Fishlake National Forest with intervening BLM-administered land. Several narrow sections of trail were eventually constructed to complete the loop. The main trail is 275 miles long, with over 1000 miles of marked side trails and 1500+ estimated miles of side forest roads and trails. Due to its vast size, the Paiute ATV Trail is best explored in segments.

The Paiute ATV Trail caters to relaxing and family-type riding. Many riders along the four-foot wide trails enjoy the scenery and atmosphere of a deeply dense forest, as well as popular activities such as fishing or camping near the path. Panoramic scenes along ridges allow riders to see over hundred miles in the distance (and 11,000 below!), which makes the ATV Trail a popular photographic destination. Wildlife is commonly spotted close by, including occasional glimpses of free-roaming herds of deer and elk.

The main loop of the trail takes approximately 25 riding hours to complete - but that doesn't leave much time for stopping or taking pictures. For comfort and full enjoyment of the trail, the time should be spread out over three to four days. However, riders choosing to explore the thousands of miles of marked and unmarked side forest roads and trails may find themselves riding for weeks.

The Riding Season

Spring through fall offers riding opportunities, though each season brings its own experiences and adventures. While spring riding is possible on the lower portions of the trail, snowdrifts usually close the trail over the Pahvants and the Sevier Plateau until early July. This part of the trail traditionally remains closed until mid-to-late July. September and October provide some of the best riding weather on the Paiute Trail. At this time of year the days are brisk, the nights cool, the trees colorful, and the chance of precipitation is low. August is also a good time for the high country, although the lower portions of the trail can be hot. After October, storms may close the upper portions of the trail or make riding slightly unpleasant, but not unbearable.

Riders are able to access the Paiute ATV Trail from a number of small towns throughout central Utah including Marysvale, Richfield, Beaver, Fillmore and Salina. Each of these towns give riders the opportunity to get a good meal, gas up or stay the night at a local hotel or bed and breakfast. ATVs are allowed on designated streets in each town along the trail allowing easy access to necessary services. Riders can even spend a full week on the trail - riding from town to town accessing services and getting a good night's rest.

Rules of the road

Any OHV (ATV, motorcycle or snowmobile) must display a current OHV registration sticker. Most non-resident OHV operators are required to purchase a Non-resident OHV Permit for each ATV, OHM and snowmobile they bring into the state. These permits are available from vendors located near popular OHV destinations. A complete list of vendors is available from Utah State Parks and Recreation office listed below.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/off-highway-vehicles/ohv-registration-and-permits/

Non-Resident OHV Registration: Utah Division of Parks and Recreation Non-resident Off-Highway VehicleUser Permits (801) 538-7220 http://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/ohv/

Utah Resident OHV Registration: Utah Division of Motor Vehicles 799 N. Redwood Road Salt Lake City, 84116 (801) 297-7780 (800) 368-8824 www.dmv.utah.gov

• Children under eight-years old age are not allowed to operate any OHV on public lands, roads or trails in Utah.
• All riders eight through 15 years old must possess an Education Certificate issued or recognized by Utah State Parks.
• Operators 16 and older may drive OHVs, if they have either a valid driver's license or an OHV Education Certificate.
• Helmets are encouraged for everyone and are required for those under 18.
• "Protect Your Privilege, Stay on the Trail." Always ride in control and within your abilities. NEVER drink and ride!

Tread Lightly

• The Utah Off-Highway Vehicle Statute states that registered off-highway vehicles may be operated on public land, trails, streets, or highways that are posted by sign or designated by map or description as open to off-highway vehicle use by the controlling federal, state, county, or municipal agency. According to this law, all roads, etc. are closed to ATVs unless posted open.
• On U.S. Forest Service and BLM-administered land, off-highway use of any vehicle is permitted in designated areas only. Check with local agency offices for brochures and maps of appropriate areas.
• There are also numerous recreational vehicle areas within or adjacent to state parks. Again, check to determine proper use areas.
• Off-highway vehicle use is NOT allowed in most national parks, wilderness areas, or on lake shores.

Where to stay: Marysvale, UT in center of the trail system.

http://www.lizzieandcharlies.com/

http://southfortyrvpark.net/

http://southfortyrvpark.net/

PT 1 PT 2 PT 3 PT 4 PT 5 PT 6 PT 7 PT 8 PT 9 PT 10 PT 11 PT 12 PT 13 PT 14 PT 15 PT 16 PT 17 PT 18 PT 19 PT 20 PT 21

Attachments

• NROHVstates2012.pdf
    832.6 KB · Views: 764
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Free GPS Maps ****** New Utah ATV Trails 2016, Released 7/27/16 ********

Moab trails are a different map found on this site

This a major update

• This map now includes the Arapeen, Paiute, and Paunsaugunt Trail system.
  • Trails are color coded by difficulty to the best of my ability.
  • Arapeen trails are per the MVUM map for that area.
  • All 50" trails are dashed green and white.
  • All 60" trails are dashed blue and white.
  • The Skyline Drive, Paiute 01, and Paunsaugunt Loop trails are green and blue dashed.
  • The Fremont Trail is green and red dashed.
  • All Paiute restrooms are shown.
  • Most gas and eateries on the trail systems are shown.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/653/

Windows PC w/ Garmin GPS: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/653/download/

MAC w/ Garmin GPS: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/653/downloadmac/

ORUXMAPS / Android App: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gl3xhsm9kaqms96/OruxMap_ATV_Trails_and_Instructions.zip

National Geographic Trail Map

http://atvutah.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=39&osCsid=14317ad567742840c2453653ba6ddb3c

Trail Map & Guide Book Combo

http://atvutah.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=58&osCsid=14317ad567742840c2453653ba6ddb3c

Contains NEW Trails not shown on previous versions.

Contains numerous trail number changes.

Contains trail width designations for side by side use.

Contains ALL NEW 60" UTV trail designations.

Contains MORE GPS location information.

Contains updated City Street ATV routes for the local communities.

This National Geographic -Trails Illustrated® folded map is your essential guide for outdoor exploration in Utah's Paiute ATV Trail area. The brilliantly illustrated topographical representation shows all trails, campsites, and recreational features, plus relevant info on wildlife, history, geology, and archeology.

Coverage includes Fishlake National, BLM- Sevier River Resource Area. Millard, Sevier and Paiute counties. Complete map of Paiute ATV Trail with adjoining loop trails and town access maps. Fillmore, Richfield, Koosharem, Marysvale, Greenwich and Circleville. Piute, Otter Creek, Rocky Ford, Koosharem and Three Creeks reservoirs. All data is updated to reflect road closings, new trails, and campground relocation. Printed on waterproof, tear-resistant material with a plastic coating that offers supreme durability for your next outdoor adventure.

Map Measures 4" x 9" folded and 28" x 32" fully opened. Scale of 1:90,000.

There are some things you might like to know before you dive in here.

The Paiute ATV Trail is really, really BIG. If you are not used to true wide open spaces, it can be intimidating and confusing, and there are never enough signs for some people. The Trail is located in the middle of some of the largest public lands in the nation. If you come from the East coast, this idea that Utah is 63.0% owned by the federal government and that the State of Utah owns another 10.1% is hard to imagine. This means that the State of Utah is 73.1% public lands. Let us help break this down for you. The four Utah counties that bound the Paiute ATV Trail system are Beaver, Millard, Piute and Sevier. Sevier contain 987,720 acres of public land; Piute contains 422,907 acres of public land. Since these are rather foggy numbers, remember that an acre is about the size of a football field without the end zones. If you were to line them up you would have 80,149 MILES of public football fields. Of course, you can't ride your ATV on every single acre. Most of them are just there for you to look at, an amazing view we must say. Now consider that the surrounding counties of Beaver, Wayne and Garfield would increase this number to 6,910,888 acres of public land, our football fields now stretch for a whopping 392,664 MILES. The entire state of Utah contains 40,065,561 +/- acres of public land. We're sorry but our calculator blew a fuse trying to sort out the football thing for you.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Street Legal OHV Requirements
Types of Street-legal ATV’s

An all-terrain vehicle that is a Type I or Utility Type Vehicle (UTV) may be inspected and registered as a Street-legal ATV. These types are defined as:

“All-terrain Type I Vehicle” means any motor vehicle 52 inches or less in width, having an unladen dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, traveling on three or more low pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator, and designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.

All-terrain Type I Vehicle
“Utility Type Vehicle” means any recreational vehicle designed for and capable of travel over unimproved terrain: traveling on four or more tires, having a width of 30 to 70 inches, having an unladen dry weight of 2,200 pounds or less, having a seat height of 25 to 40 inches when measured at the forward edge of the seat bottom, and having side by side seating with a steering wheel for control. “Utility type vehicle” does not include an all-terrain type I vehicle, an all-terrain type II vehicle, a motorcycle or a snowmobile.

Safety Inspection

A safety inspection must be completed before being registered for the first time, even if it is an exempt model year. After the first year of registration, the ATV must follow the current safety inspection frequency of every other year for the first eight years based off of the model year. After it is eight years old, it will be required to have a safety inspection every year. The safety inspection certificate, regardless if it is a paper or on-line certificate will have an ‘ATV’ watermark in the background. This watermark is present to assist the DMV with identifying the type of registration to process.

Registration

Every Street-legal ATV is required to be registered in order to operate under this new law. Upon registration, the ATV owner will be issued a license plate the same size as are issued to motorcycles.

Insurance

Every ATV must be insured in order to operate as a street-legal ATV. The same insurance requirements that a “motor vehicle” must have also apply to Street-legal ATV’s.

Driver License

The same driver license requirements that a “motor vehicle” must have also apply to Street-legal ATV’s. (Class D Operator’s License)

Required Equipment
All-terrain vehicles may be inspected provided that they have been modified to be street legal. They shall be equipped with the following items, which shall comply with the regulations of the department (41-6a-1509).

a. One or more headlamps that meet the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1603.
b. One or more tail lamps.
c. A tail lamp or other lamp constructed and placed to illuminate the registration plate with a white light.
d. One or more red reflectors on the rear.
e. One or more stop lamps on the rear.
f. Amber or red electric turn signals, one on each side of the front and rear. Red turn signals are only allowed to be on the rear.
g. A braking system, other than a parking brake, that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1623.
h. A horn or other warning device that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1625.
i. A muffler and emission control system that meets the requirements of U.C.A. 41-6a-1626.
j. Rearview mirrors on the right and left side of the driver in accordance with U.C.A. 41-6a-1627. All-terrain Type I Vehicle requires only a left side mirror
and Utility Type Vehicle requires both a left side and right side mirror.
k. A windshield, unless the operator wears eye protection while operating the vehicle.
l. A speedometer, illuminated for nighttime operations.
m. Vehicles designed by the manufacturer for carrying one or more passengers, a seat designed for passengers, including a footrest and handhold for each
passenger.
n. Vehicles with side by side seating, seatbelts for each vehicle occupant.
o. Must not be less than 30 inches in width or exceed 70 inches in width. Measurement must be taken at the widest point of the vehicle, including tires.
p. Drivers seat must not be less than 25 inches in height or exceed 40 inches in height. This measurement must be made from the ground to the top of the forward edge of the seating position when measured on a flat level surface.
q. The tire tread depth must be at least 2/32 inches or greater and the tires must not exceed 26 inches in height or be larger than the ATV manufacturer made available for the ATV model.

Operating Street-Legal ATVs
An operator of a street-legal all-terrain vehicle, when operating a street-legal all-terrain vehicle on a highway in accordance with this section, may not exceed the lesser of the posted speed limit or 45 miles per hour.

An operator of a street-legal all-terrain vehicle, when operating a street-legal all-terrain vehicle on a highway with a posted speed limit higher than 45 miles per hour, shall operate the street-legal all-terrain vehicle on the extreme right hand side of the roadway and shall equip the street-legal all-terrain vehicle with a reflector or reflective tape.

Unless a street or highway is designated as open for street-legal ATV use by the controlling highway authority in accordance with Section 41-22-10.5, a person may not operate a street-legal ATV on a street or highway if the highway is under the jurisdiction of a county of the first class, a municipality that is within a county of the first class; or a municipality with a population of 7,500 or more people. (Note: Salt Lake County is the only county of the first class.)

Nonresident Street Legal Requirements

A non resident operator who is authorized on highways in another state can operate as a street legal ATV in Utah, only if that state reciprocates a Utah street legal ATV on the other state’s highways. The non resident operator, who is reciprocal to Utah, will need to have Utah’s required equipment before it can be operated as a street legal ATV.

Reactions: Stauvo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So with all the above information let's hear it from the members. Would you be interested in a Hondasxs club ride in the Paiute Trail System in fall of 2018? Likely last half September early October time frame. After that time frame snow gets deep above 9500 ft. elevation.

Why 3 post above? Because I was limited to 10,000 characters per post. Guess @Hondasxs thinks I'm too gabby. :p

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The time frame is sufficient and location closer than most, sooo...I'm definitely interested!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Long time away.. have to see what happens down the road but it would be interesting.
Ya it's a long time away.
Maybe we will have a Honda sport by then. Lol.

Anyways.
For us east cost people. A epic trip like this will require lots of planing and personal life arrangements.

I need this much time to give my boss and wife a notice. Lol.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
:)I'm in if any way possible. This will be a trip of a lifetime for someone like me that has never done something like this. Like u said it's a long time from now but it gives me plenty time to prepare my excuses and guer for the trip.
Perfect for P5 preparations. ;):D:rolleyes:

Reactions: Stauvo and Hondasxs
F

fireant

Jan 16, 2016
azle tx
Ownership

1. Talon X
:)I'm in if any way possible. This will be a trip of a lifetime for someone like me that has never done something like this. Like u said it's a long time from now but it gives me plenty time to prepare my excuses and guer for the trip.
Perfect for P5 preparations. ;):D:rolleyes:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Me and mama are in!!!!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds cool to me. I should have a new truck by then that can make the haul! A few years back I drove through Moab, made it there in about 11 hours (no trailer) so I think I could make the trip in a day...a LONG day! Paiute trail is closer than Moab for me. Only problem for me is that time of year is really busy but who knows.

P

PaiuteTrailPioneer

Apr 30, 2016
Utah
I live in Richfield, right in the middle of the Paiute trail. (Hence my name)
I ride the trail regularly, and even though I grew up here, and have ridden it my whole life, even I haven't seen it all.
There is a Honda dealer here that I bought my pioneer from.
I am happy to help out, and assist in planning this ride.
Keep in mind though, September is the local atv jamboree, and it's one of the largest in the nation. It's nearly impossible to find a hotel room, or campground/RV park in the area, unless booked months or even a year in advance.
If you do come during the jamboree, there are many guided rides, and lots of stuff in town for an atv guy. There is even a big parade, and a couple years ago, they set the world record for the most atvs in a single parade.
All of the laws for street legality are mostly overlooked, at least here in Richfield. So don't stress over making sure your pioneer has all of the bases covered.
Richfield sits at about 5,000 feet, and in about 20 minutes, you can easily be at 11,000 or higher spending on which direction you go.
Any questions, ask away. If I don't know the answer, I can probably find out for you.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I ride the trail regularly, and even though I grew up here, and have ridden it my whole life, even I haven't seen it all.
Keep in mind though, September is the local atv jamboree, and it's one of the largest in the nation. It's nearly impossible to find a hotel room, or campground/RV park in the area, unless booked months or even a year in advance.
If you do come during the jamboree, there are many guided rides, and lots of stuff in town for an atv guy. There is even a big parade, and a couple years ago, they set the world record for the most atvs in a single parade.
All of the laws for street legality are mostly overlooked, at least here in Richfield. So don't stress over making sure your pioneer has all of the bases covered.
Richfield sits at about 5,000 feet, and in about 20 minutes, you can easily be at 11,000 or higher spending on which direction you go.
Any questions, ask away. If I don't know the answer, I can probably find out for you.
That's totally awesome!!! Don't believe I'd want to be there at jamboree though.

Dp5hunter

Dp5hunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2016
Hazlehurst Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500
During what part of Sep. is the jamboree? Maybe we should plan the reunion for a date just after the jamboree, I would really like to go but with my job it is next to impossible to make plans or reservations to far ahead dew to the nature of the oil industry. I am working on saving some money to buy a toy hauler which I have already seen and I know how much I need. So like I said I REALLY REALLY WANT TO GO THERE. ;)

P

PaiuteTrailPioneer

Apr 30, 2016
Utah
I'm not sure of the official dates for 2017. But the farther away from the jamboree you can get, the better off you will be.
Even now, with the jamboree a couple of weeks away, the hotels and campgrounds are already filling up. Lots of riders around town. And that is 2 weeks early.
it may be better to plan on the first week in October, and hope that the weather holds out. You can do September, but if you do, you will want to book a long time in advance, or plan on camping along the trail somewhere.
Also, keep in mind, if you do come in October, you may need to wear orange clothing because of the hunting going on.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not sure of the official dates for 2017. But the farther away from the jamboree you can get, the better off you will be.
Even now, with the jamboree a couple of weeks away, the hotels and campgrounds are already filling up. Lots of riders around town. And that is 2 weeks early.
it may be better to plan on the first week in October, and hope that the weather holds out. You can do September, but if you do, you will want to book a long time in advance, or plan on camping along the trail somewhere.
Also, keep in mind, if you do come in October, you may need to wear orange clothing because of the hunting going on.
Camping along the trail suits me just fine anyway. A night or two, other then that, mama's going to want a room and shower. They allow camping along the trail?

P

PaiuteTrailPioneer

Apr 30, 2016
Utah
Yes, you can camp nearly anywhere along the trail.
Like the original post said, there are literally thousands of miles that can be ridden, and camping is allowed as long as you stay on an improved trail. They really don't like people going off the trail, even to make a camping spot. And there are officers patrolling on atvs, (it's awesome getting paid to ride the trail all day)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!