Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just got back from spending a week in TN riding the Sundquist North Cumberland OHV trails affectionately referred to as Royal Blue in general by the riders. It consists of over 200,000 acres managed by the state of TN with over 600 miles of marked trails both East & West of I-75 near Pioneer, TN and had additional trails that extend even further South all the way to Windrock (35 miles as the crow flies).

Attached are maps of all three OHV areas Sundquist, Royal Blue & New River Units

Royal Blue Resort Exit 144 East of I-75 (Sundquist Unit direct ride in)
I have been going there several years and have always enjoyed it, the DNR staff actually maintain the trails, add new ones, and re route the worst rutted sections as needed. I primarily stay at the Ride Royal Blue Resort in my camper they offer everything from day parking, tent camping, cabins, houses, as well as full hookup RV sites. Their accommodation options are here: Booking - Ride Royal Blue Resort
General resort info is here: Ride Royal Blue Resort

Other Options - Exit 141 I-75 (Sundquist & Royal Blue direct ride in)
There is Eagle Rock Resort and Campground that just opened, go 1.3 miles past El Rays Mexican Restaurant on the frontage road east side of I75, and a Comfort Inn, for fuel isa Pilot truck stop, TA Travel Center, Shell station. To eat thier is El Rays Mexican Restaurant, Popeyes Chicken, Hardee's, and a Subway at Exit 141, trail #12 comes out here and may fuel up and stay at this area as well, there is also a decent restaurant right off the trailhead of #12.

Riding fees
Are set by state of TN, the least expenses way is to purchase the small game hunting permits that allow you riding access anywhere in the state. On nice thing for SXS riders is that only one person has to buy the permit (does not have to be the driver) all passengers are free.

The fees are:
Daily out of state permit, type 038, $37.00
Daily in state permit, type 036, $15.00
Annual out of state permit combo, type 071+093, $130.00
Annual in state permit combo, type 001+093, $53.00

Age 13 and over must have a permit.
One permit per vehicle, passengers ride free.

Permits can be purchased online here:

Tennessee TWRA License

Select from the codes above, once purchased they email you a PDF file and you can print out as many copies as you want, be sure to sign each one.

The trails
There is truly everything for the family to enjoy from leisurely scenic rides through the main connector trails to moderate and very steep hill climbs to difficult rocky challenges for those that want to see if their winch is as good as advertised. Elevation runs from approx. 1100' up to 3200' The primary system trail map is attached below.

The Scenery

Here is a typical hillside view from the top of trail 26 in the fall:
20151025 140259 zpscmoxpksw

Top of the World trail 31 overlook at 3000' elevation:
20151028 162050 zpsrfnphhnp
20151028 161801 zpsyn5sravq

Bottom of trail 2 waterfall (one of five in the system):
20151028 123203 zps51pyf8sq
One of many scenic creek crossings:
20151028 124044 zpsmdem8kgh

The Sundquist WMA is also home to TN Elk herd re established in 2001 that now numbers in excess of 300 strong and growing, there is even very limited hunting allowed in 6 specific regions with 1 permit each allowed annually. At the end of trail 25 is a viewing tower where the primary herd can be seen grazing almost daily in the evenings:
20151029 163832 zps5xlrycj9 20151029 163842 zpsrs5xg3w9

I wished the weather had cooperated it killed 4 days of my riding off and I didn't get to ride the Royal Blue or New River unit trails this fall but I have in the past and they will not disappoint.

Here is the 52 mile loop I ran covering the pictures above in one 6 hour ride:
10 2820Royal20Blue205220Mile20Loop zpsypgsuoku

Given the costs associated with the private OHV parks of Windrock and Brimstone which charge a per person daily fee the TN public trails is 3X the size of both those combined with only 1 permit required per machine. I highly recommend giving it a try at any of the 3 locations.

This area has many more trails seamlessly connected where you can ride into Windrock Offroad park a 70,000 acres private park, and Brimstone a 50,000 acres offroad park. In all the trails run approximately 117 miles east to west and 65 miles north to south in an area encompassing 1.59 million acres. Here is an overview of the trails sheer size transposed in Google earth.
TN Trails 117 miles E to W

The red dot in the below picture is the approximate location of Ride Royal Blue and Eagle Rock campgrounds in relation to the trail system.
20190408 135409

To navigate this vast area I highly recommend Lifetime Trail Maps tablets or app on your Android device. The tablets are also sold at both campgrounds as an official dealer.

See you on the trails :)

Attachments

• ncwma-3-units.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,208
  • North_Cumberland_OHV_BW_2015_final.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 883
  • 2017-07-14 Cleaned.gpx
    950.2 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice Ride @JACKAL,
Wonderful ride report. This should be enough to give anyone a good idea of the system.
I will be loading the trails up and taking a look for sure. You did some major riding. Glad you had fun.
I think this is where the group ride will be this year.
The elk will be a good POI for the group.
I'm still going to get up there sometime soon.. I hope.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Hondasxs Thanks. Let me know when you plan to run over there to ride we can meet up. I can pretty much go at the drop of a hat with only a few days notice. The really adventurous trails are in the New River Unit only been there once, had fun and didn't break anything by my 50" SXS was on it door (literally) up and down some extremely rocky rutted trails. Had my son in law with me who had never been off roading his nerves were about done for. I had a few times I didn't think I had any chance making it up but did by some miracle.

I have barely ever touched the actual "Royal Blue" Unit it looks like a good mix up of easy to hard trails.

PS the elk aren't just in the viewing fields about 5 miles out we were cruising about 20 mph rounded the corner and this little fella about 2-3 yrs old was just standing by the road, he never ran off even as we drove within 10 ft of him while the wife snapped a dozen or so pics. with her camera. All those above pics were taken with my phone.

201520112001 3065 zpsqdz0cpng

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am itching to go ride, your write up ain't helping.

After next May I'll be game any day as I will be only 3 miles from the trail head when I move :) There is some RZR fellas that are local make a 112 mile round trip run (by trails) from north of Royal Blue down to Windrock in a day. I will find out that route one day that would be an epic adventure.

Reactions: vince
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After next May I'll be game any day as I will be only 3 miles from the trail head when I move :) There is some RZR fellas that are local make a 112 mile round trip run (by trails) from north of Royal Blue down to Windrock in a day. I will find out that route one day that would be an epic adventure.
Sounds fun!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is the video, did a ride with fella once we run about 80 mile loop had a blast, he was all about riding and not emptying the cooler. My kinda ride.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That would be an awesome ride.

Reactions: Hondasxs
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Nice Ride @JACKAL,
Wonderful ride report. This should be enough to give anyone a good idea of the system.
I will be loading the trails up and taking a look for sure. You did some major riding. Glad you had fun.
I think this is where the group ride will be this year.
The elk will be a good POI for the group.
I'm still going to get up there sometime soon.. I hope.
Let me know i'll go too. I get my jeep back from the shop next week.. so i'll be free. lol also if we go there instead of windrock i'll get the cabin i got last time it's just down the road and it's nice will sleep about 8.. for the group trip.. That cabin isn't part of royal blue tho.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Great Recon!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is an updated video showing a ride EAST of Royal Blue & I-75 from Pioneer, TN to Tackett Creek which is North and East of Royal Blue (Next mountains over) 72 miles 1 way. Not Hondas but indicative of the type of technical trails you can get into.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thought I would bump this Royal Blue in Pioneer, TN Ride Report being as the group ride is next week. Lots of good info and links if you start at the first post.

tjmichael

tjmichael

Jul 29, 2016
hernando ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you get moved to TN @JACKAL ? How far is royal blue from Memphis?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Did you get moved to TN @JACKAL ? How far is royal blue from Memphis?

It is 380 miles from Memphis TN to Ride Royal Blue. Yes I now live 4 miles from Royal Blue.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice we going to trails end in April. Have it booked already. Will be our first time. Thanks for the report.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey @JACKAL, @Bayouownbeer, how do you get from Trials end to Royal Blue?
I see on there web site they say they connect to RB.

I used to go to Brimstone and stay at Trails end (before the big implosion-google it if you really want to know)
Great little camp ground, the wife had several camping spots picked out that where right next to the creek.
Running water sound made me need to pee all the time but my wife was ready to move in permanently.

If I could figure out how to connect the too I might go back there.

Reactions: Hondasxs
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey @JACKAL, @Bayouownbeer, how do you get from Trials end to Royal Blue?
I see on there web site they say they connect to RB.

I used to go to Brimstone and stay at Trails end (before the big implosion-google it if you really want to know)
Great little camp ground, the wife had several camping spots picked out that where right next to the creek.
Running water sound made me need to pee all the time but my wife was ready to move in permanently.

If I could figure out how to connect the too I might go back there.
I am fully aware of the Brimstone greed / Trails end fallout, got so bad last year Polaris changed thier Camp RZR to New Hampshire for this year 2016. Thanks to all the attention Mr. Love drew in an attempt to line his pockets and drive out the family owned Trails end campground the TN State Police ticketed over 300 SxS drivers in 2 days last year near Huntsville.

To answer you questions use the GPS trail maps in the ride report in post 1 that I put the link to. They import right into any Garmin GPS using the Basecamp application for them and can be manually copied onto any ANDROID device using the ORUXMAPS app. The trails are clearly marked and encompass all of Brimstone, Royal Blue, and Windrock trail systems in one download. I currently use a 10" tablet for a GPS and has worked perfectly in my last 5 outings at Royal Blue .
20160729 110020

20160729 110035

Reactions: joeymt33
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Do the the small game hunting permits work for out of state riders?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!