BOX1

P1000 ripHST's Work Buggy Build

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well.....this thread might only end up being 2 parts build-related, 1 part "let's see if this works" and 1 part shameless attempt to learn from others' experience without having to start a bunch of new threads. I do a lot of searching and reading, but have found that most folks are in the recreation side of things. Most of my needs are on the work side. But the build stuff will be a little of both because it's more fun to build for trail riding....at least I think it will be.

So far: despite having this machine for almost a year, it has gotten limited use. I've got property that I'm planning to build on this year so most of it's use has been as a motorized tool box and for skidding logs. I've got the Honda roof, a homemade bed mat cut out of stall material from Tractor Supply (thanks to the member who gave me this idea, wherever you are) and a radiator hose under-hood snorkel (idea stolen from @Dragon21, thanks). That's it for "mods" so far.

For Christmas.....my wife bought me the Impact Implements hydraulic "1-point hitch" and a box scraper....so I'll be able to do some minor grading.

Finally, I've got switches on order from OTRATTW and a panel from @mystic1219 and all the bits and pieces to set up a dual battery system. I'll post more on the details of what I plan to do later. Should make a good winter project.

I welcome any and all constructive criticism and suggestions. Thanks in advance for that. With any luck, it'll also help someone that's looking to follow a similar path. More to come.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad to hear that you're still "pulling" along.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be wary of putting much upward force on the hitch it’s weak in that direction

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good thought.....thanks. I’ll definitely need to resist the urge to use the hydraulics too aggressively.
Or use it as an opportunity to beef up the stock hitch

Reactions: swsebek
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glad to hear that you're still "pulling" along.
haha....lots of pulling and hauling.

Upload 2018 1 10 14 12 50

Upload 2018 1 10 14 16 7
Upload 2018 1 10 14 13 29

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or use it as an opportunity to beef up the stock hitch

hmmm. maybe so. I'm not much of a fabricator though....and I wouldn't want to transfer the force to something more critical. I'll take a look at it. Have others done this?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hmmm. maybe so. I'm not much of a fabricator though....and I wouldn't want to transfer the force to something more critical. I'll take a look at it. Have others done this?

Not many.

Honda beefed up the hitch a bit on the 2017 model and removed the "extra" vertical hitch pin hole. The 2017 looks strong but isn't as versatile

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
;)The parts have been rolling in.........here are some:
Upload 2018 1 12 13 5 27

gotta get and some other stuff in here:
Upload 2018 1 12 13 5 54

and hopefully end up with a dual battery system. I'm going to try putting the batteries under the seat so I got a battery box, but as I mentioned before, I'm not much of a fabricator so this could get ugly. Here's the box I picked up on Amazon:

41RgQJMj6FL SX450

I'm going to try to use a couple of brackets over the frame rail and tack it to the frame on top so the weight isn't all on the fasteners. Not sure yet if there will be enough clearance under the seat. I'll run a piece of flat stock down to this box and bolt it all together. I'm thinking I'll bring it down far enough so the box is supported underneath by the rail across the bottom....or, run diagonals up to the top rail on the other side of the compartment. Not sure....going from memory here. This is part where you chime in and tell me there's a better way....before I start drilling.

Upload 2018 1 12 13 1 20 Upload 2018 1 12 13 1 52 Clear1

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to try using three of these in parallel for the accessories battery. Should just fit in that box.
71  H8mK7kL SX450

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm going to try using three of these in parallel for the accessories battery. Should just fit in that box.
71  H8mK7kL SX450

3? Dayummmmmm. Must be planning some serious accessories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
;)The parts have been rolling in.........here are some:
View attachment 61719

gotta get and some other stuff in here:
View attachment 61720

and hopefully end up with a dual battery system. I'm going to try putting the batteries under the seat so I got a battery box, but as I mentioned before, I'm not much of a fabricator so this could get ugly. Here's the box I picked up on Amazon:

View attachment 61722

I'm going to try to use a couple of brackets over the frame rail and tack it to the frame on top so the weight isn't all on the fasteners. Not sure yet if there will be enough clearance under the seat. I'll run a piece of flat stock down to this box and bolt it all together. I'm thinking I'll bring it down far enough so the box is supported underneath by the rail across the bottom....or, run diagonals up to the top rail on the other side of the compartment. Not sure....going from memory here. This is part where you chime in and tell me there's a better way....before I start drilling.

View attachment 61717 View attachment 61718 View attachment 61721
What is that radiator hose off of?

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3? Dayummmmmm. Must be planning some serious accessories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, they're small. :D Actually, I have (3) of them and they happen to be the same size as a type 34 (I think). Fits in the box so that's what I'm going to go with. I haven't looked at the specs to see what I'll have when they're run in parallel....I should do that.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
well, they're small. :D Actually, I have (3) of them and they happen to be the same size as a type 34 (I think). Fits in the box so that's what I'm going to go with. I haven't looked at the specs to see what I'll have when they're run in parallel....I should do that.

@36ah and @450CCA

little less than a Group34

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@36ah and @450CCA

little less than a Group34
Cool...thanks. I have a source for these batteries (gratis) but if I need to I can always go with a Optima or something similar in type 34 and it should slide right in.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hit my first snag.......the battery box is too wide to run supports straight up to the seat rail. Rather than twist and turn it up, I think I’ll spin it around and see if I can anchor it to the opposite side. Maybe you can see what I mean in the pic below. There’s a vertical support just behind the plastic bulkhead where I’ve circled in the pic. No solid support on the other side, but maybe I can slot the plastic and run a strap around the batteries to keep them from moving. This isn’t a jumping rig so I think I’ll be okay, but chime in if you can think of something better. Maybe I’m not seeing it yet.

4BCD2C4F 5494 470C A9A4 472906C63393

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The good news is that the batteries fit the box pretty well......I’ll probably put a rubber mat in the bottom and maybe between the batteries and sides to take up some of the extra space, but not bad.

66FB3B41 6347 4B28 A5B6 E41CBE39916A

Reactions: ohanacreek
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m also trying to figure out the wiring. I’ll run a few accessories off the auxiliary batteries (winch, small light bar, rear work lights, dome light, horn) so these will run off switches on the panel. I’d like to have a master switch that will energize the panel with the key off (if needed), but have the panel also be live when the key is on, bypassing the master switch. Here’s a sketch showing what I think will work, but I’d love some feedback on it. I’m not sure how well the relay will handle having the manual switch as well as the ignition connected to it. I’m also unsure of what kind of fusing I should have in place.

82500D56 9EEC 4C2E 9AF3 6771A90B7CB6

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m also trying to figure out the wiring. I’ll run a few accessories off the auxiliary batteries (winch, small light bar, rear work lights, dome light, horn) so these will run off switches on the panel. I’d like to have a master switch that will energize the panel with the key off (if needed), but have the panel also be live when the key is on, bypassing the master switch. Here’s a sketch showing what I think will work, but I’d love some feedback on it. I’m not sure how well the relay will handle having the manual switch as well as the ignition connected to it. I’m also unsure of what kind of fusing I should have in place.

View attachment 61880

Get a SPDT switch have the ignition come to one side the battery come to the other and the common pole be connected to the relay.

So you can chose on/off/ignition.

Reactions: PartyOf6