P1000m5 Rock Donkey v2 Long Travel

J

JTW

Wait a minute, I'm not understanding this.
In the middle of a conversation about peckers @JTW is commenting on tie down straps?

Oh, nope..never mind, I see where he's going with this.
Even though it was served up and ready to spike... it’s Smitty. That’s like a ringer winning the special olympics!

Reactions: lee and ohanacreek
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve got shackles on the front bumper and welded a d-ring to the trailer frame just behind the hitch, and I tie to the ROPS on the back down to d-rings I welded at the rear corners of the trailer. People praise these things so I figured I’d spend $35 ($50 with the required Grade8 5/16” bolts) and try them out since I needed some new straps anyway.

It is much quicker to tie down and I don’t have the long straps that always end up loose in the wind no matter how well I tie them to themselves.
Been thinking about the track system.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Even though it was served up and ready to spike... it’s Smitty. That’s like a ringer winning the special olympics!
I always come through at the end!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your just not special!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Fox QS3 only have pre-load, and 3 settings. (I have dual springs so I have the ability to adjust spring crossover)
I have them set to stock ride height with stock tires. There’s just more weight than bone stock.

Works pretty good on softest for most riding and technical trails, mid for faster rough trails, and hardest if I feel like getting some airtime.

I’d NEVER get the stage 5 Elkas adjusted.

View attachment 67934
What is stock ride height, is that with payload?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is stock ride height, is that with payload?

12.4” of ground clearance, that is an unladen swallow.

Laden with accessories mine was riding around 11” so I was hoping to change geometry to get height without preload but it turns out it doesn’t matter.

Reactions: JTW and lee
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Gonna do full length flush mount in the next trailer I buy.
Think your could just router them in if you have a wood bed, I use my trailer for all kinds of stuff, hauling fire wood, dirt, mulch and think the recessed tracks might be an issue.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I may be understanding that the weight of the ride will sag the spring the same amount no matter the preload ... but preload will change the shock travel which will change ride comfort correct?

Yes but mostly no.

TYPICALLY you decide the settings in order of importance.
Where the ride hight is on the shock stroke is important.
Utility ATVs are set close to mid stroke - better for ride comfort.
Sport ATVs are closer to topped out - better for landing jumps and hitting roots.

Wes has a duel spring set up.
Ideally you want the smaller spring half compressed (or so) at ride hight.
There are a ton of other factors to consider but mainly this is discution about peckers and springs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
12.4” of ground clearance, that is an unladen swallow.

Laden with accessories mine was riding around 11” so I was hoping to change geometry to get height without preload but it turns out it doesn’t matter.
So that is 1.4 spring sag, from factory specs. now add body weight, bet your getting close to 2 to 3 inches of sag, that's great! You may be right on.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes but mostly no.

Sport ATVs are closer to topped out - better for landing jumps and hitting roots.

There are a ton of other factors to consider but mainly this is discution about peckers and springs.
And how long it takes them to cool down and start preforming again to potential, HA! I think the 2 to 3 inch sag with all riders and gear is going to be really close to the Fox design, they have done there home work. I just like to screw with adjustments.

Last edited:
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SuperATV does not fit.
I messaged StrongMade to see if it fits. Theoretically it should it moves the bottom of the shocks IN about ¾ of an inch but we will see.
Nope I had to trade to HL, as in do not get the strongmade to go on arched arms

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes but mostly no.

Half compressed you say? Well alrighty then they are halfway compressed. I have to say I have just the right about of accessories then.

This is on a tee @JTW

Df2abcd6c40c57f3811027decf4e4aee

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well I found 3 pair of these at Tractor supply for $36 so I decided I would try them. They will fit a 28.5” tire I’m not sure thy have the length to go around a true 30” tire.

View attachment 67922
I really like these. I broke a strap on the way to mulberry (i used 4) and my Honda shifted around and messed some s*** up. I was rather pissed. They will be the 1st thing I install in my new toy hauler. I saw @nbomar had them and they work great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like these. I broke a strap on the way to mulberry (i used 4) and my Honda shifted around and messed some s*** up. I was rather pissed. They will be the 1st thing I install in my new toy hauler. I saw @nbomar had them and they work great!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I worry about the suspension being uncompressed and the weight shifting because of that. Figured for the price of new straps which I needed anyway, I could try these out and I’d real world see how it does.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I worry about the suspension being uncompressed and the weight shifting because of that. Figured for the price of new straps which I needed anyway, I could try these out and I’d real world see how it does.
First time I strapped Rooster down and pulled the trailer, I freaked, body roll and slack in the straps, stopped to see if everything was good, it was. I like the track system, but I'm waiting to see how it works out, over the long haul.